iamrich83

Newbie looking for a specific RC experience

First of all, my name is Rich, I am not wealthy!  Second of all, thank you for having me here, this is my first post.  

Bottom line:  I would like to find a Tamiya RC that has a kind of SCT dynamic, spending as little as possible. 

Background: I have gotten into plastic modeling over the last few months, and have found Tamiya models to be fantastic. The building has gotten me wanting to make something that functions and I've been wishy-washy on getting a large 1/12 scale Honda F1 with working suspension and steering, or just getting a working RC for not a whole lot more.  Now onto what I'd like in an RC car.  I would like something that has large suspension movement, but a full body/full fender vehicle without the open/exposed tires. In my ideal world I'd like something that can do powerslides, and have the body movement like an old muscle car.  In my ideal world, I would get something like a Traxxas Slash with a car body on it (I know it's not possible because the track and wheelbase will not fit an RC sedan body).  However, the slash does not come as an unassembled kit.  Speed is not a concern at all.  I have a Miata, so I really enjoy the slow and slidey style of driving.  I've looked at the Traxxas Stampede, because it's the cheapest unassembled kit they offer.  I like it because I'd get to build the shocks and put the grease in the diffs and all that.  And everything I need except a battery is in the kit.  For the Tamiya cars, I'd be afraid of getting the wrong speed control or other electronics that would come separate. 

I would mainly be bashing it on my driveway at home which has a little bit of broken concrete and sometimes wet from an overnight rain.  I would like some suspension travel since it's not perfectly flat (and because I'd like that 'realistic' body roll).  There's a gravel/dirt alley behind the house that's usually moist and it would be nice to drive it there, too.  

I was hoping for advice on what to do.  I've read the TT-02 vs XV-01 comparisons.  I've looked hard at the Tamiya '99 Impreza TT-02.  Is there something else I should be looking at?  Again, speed is not a big deal for me I'd just like to build something with all of the cool details and it be able to take on the broken concrete and hopefully get some realistic body roll.  

Thank you in advance, please let me know if I can clarify anything. Pictures are for enclosed fender body roll goodness reference 

58076-21-action-03@1x.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

Given your requirements, the first model that springs to mind is the DT-02 Nissan Titan, a sort-of SCT-inspired model with a wide truck body on a RWD buggy chassis. Although it isn't the prettiest vehicle out there, to my eye at least, and unless you do a spot of scratch-building, there isn't a whole lot of detail to it. Maybe Google some images and see if it is the sort of thing you'd like?

Personally I like rally cars far more than SCTs, and there are loads of shells to choose from. Scale interiors with rollcages, driver figures, etc can be added to pretty much all of them, as can exterior details like mirrors, wipers, extra driving lights for night stages, etc. As for the chassis to base it on, your choice is again quite wide. The XV-01 is the obvious choice, but there are also others that are perhaps easier to build and drive, definitely cheaper, just as capable of realistic body roll, albeit perhaps not as realistic in terms of weight distribution for slidey slidey fun.

Chassis that I have driven and enjoyed in rally trim include the TT-01, TL-01, TA-03F and DF-03RA, as well as the smaller M-03, M-04, M-05RA and M-06. WIth the right tyres, shocks and sometimes a little grinding to increase suspension travel, most onroad chassis can be made rally-capable to a greater or lesser extent.

Oh, and don't worry about getting the wrong electrics. A lot of gear is interchangeable these days, and we'll help you pick a good setup that will work together.

• Like 1

What about an Asterion the XV-01’s oft forgotten half brother 😀 ticks a lot of your boxes. A little more complex than some basic buggies but with care a very satisfying build

• Like 1

Thanks!  I watched a couple videos with it and found it on tower hobby for $230.  About the same price as the XV-01.  Pros to the DT-02 are it seems like it would handle larger things like grass or gravel better.  Pros fo rthe XV-01 are more realistic bodies, and realistic handling.

The appeal of the TT-01 is that I can get one for only about $116, and maybe I can find some softer springs, plus fluid filled dampers (CVA?), something to increase suspension travel and ride height?  And still be much less than the XV-01.  On the other hand the XV-01 is more sealed off from dirt/debris.  

3 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

What about an Asterion the XV-01’s oft forgotten half brother 😀 ticks a lot of your boxes. A little more complex than some basic buggies but with care a very satisfying build

The Asterion has been discontinued and I can't find it sold at any online retailers in the US

31 minutes ago, iamrich83 said:

The appeal of the TT-01 is that I can get one for only about $116, and maybe I can find some softer springs, plus fluid filled dampers (CVA?), something to increase suspension travel and ride height?  And still be much less than the XV-01.  On the other hand the XV-01 is more sealed off from dirt/debris.  

It doesn't take much to make a TT-01 rally-capable. A little trimming of the B6 parts to allow more suspension droop, some longer shocks and knobbly tyres, and you're away. The diff housings and spur gear cover keep the mechanical bits safe from dirt, and if you fit it with rubber-sealed bearings, there is little opportunity for muck to get in where it shouldn't. And if you want to keep things really clean, you can easily add a breathable fabric tub cover with velcro along the sides of the chassis.

26 minutes ago, iamrich83 said:

The Asterion has been discontinued and I can't find it sold at any online retailers in the US

Shame, as it would suit well. Failing that the standard XV-01 is pretty capable. I beleive rumour has it the long damper version is to be re released?

27 minutes ago, iamrich83 said:

Sorry also look out for Sandshaker. TT02-T chassis. This too may have been discontinued but you never know some online retailer may have one buried somewhere

The "no prep" drag racing scene has been growing quickly so there are muscle car bodies available for short course trucks now. None of the chassis you have listed are going to be anything like a short course truck. If you want to drive on grass, a rally car will be a big disappointment.

The TL-01 Stadium Raider and TA-02T Desert Fielder are also worth a look if the Asterion style of truck takes your fancy.

As for driving a rally car on grass, whether it is disappointing or pleasing depends on the grass, your setup and your expectations. Certainly long grass is likely to result in frustration with the vehicle getting hung up and stuck, but a well-trimmed lawn, sports field or park poses no difficulty. My nephew and I drive our rally cars on such surfaces regularly, he with a TL-01, me with a TT-01, both running slowed diffs, rally blocks and about 12mm ground clearance.

Thanks for the responses all.  Some really good ideas.  From what I'm seeing the TT-02 and XV-01 don't really have the body roll that an SCT has.  But the TT-02 is so much cheaper I will probably go with that and try and do the mods that will get as much body roll as possible.

I know, seems backwards, most are trying to get rid of body roll.  I'm not going for performance though, just want that fun hooligan look.

unnamed.jpg

20 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

The TL-01 Stadium Raider and TA-02T Desert Fielder are also worth a look if the Asterion style of truck takes your fancy.

As for driving a rally car on grass, whether it is disappointing or pleasing depends on the grass, your setup and your expectations. Certainly long grass is likely to result in frustration with the vehicle getting hung up and stuck, but a well-trimmed lawn, sports field or park poses no difficulty. My nephew and I drive our rally cars on such surfaces regularly, he with a TL-01, me with a TT-01, both running slowed diffs, rally blocks and about 12mm ground clearance.

More great suggestions.  But they are discontinued and out of stock as well.  

The more I think about it the rally car is the way to go. I'm not going to be driving on grass much as we have a dog and I don't want any smelly accidents.  I just want less bobble from the body.  This video shows the lack of body movement on the TT-02 WRC Yaris: 

This one shows the body roll a Slash has : 

TT02 drives like it's got 3 passengers in the back.  The photo you have of WRX?  That's possible because WRX has engine under the hood.  Only XV01 can duplicate the movement of nose-heaviness.  

Here is a build of @78Triumph, our resident track builder and XV01 man. (there are lots of XV01 guys, just that his track is the awesomest, to show off how  XV01 runs) 

And check out his slow-mo vid of XV01.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iamrich83 said:

More great suggestions.  But they are discontinued and out of stock as well.  

The more I think about it the rally car is the way to go. I'm not going to be driving on grass much as we have a dog and I don't want any smelly accidents.  I just want less bobble from the body.  This video shows the lack of body movement on the TT-02 WRC Yaris: 

This one shows the body roll a Slash has : 

Think you need a blitzer. Its the nearest handling one that Ive got to this? Wheels are well ouside the body though?

3 hours ago, Juggular said:

TT02 drives like it's got 3 passengers in the back.  The photo you have of WRX?  That's possible because WRX has engine under the hood.  Only XV01 can duplicate the movement of nose-heaviness.  

Here is a build of @78Triumph, our resident track builder and XV01 man. (there are lots of XV01 guys, just that his track is the awesomest, to show off how  XV01 runs) 

And check out his slow-mo vid of XV01.  

I do love me some XV-01!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd be tempted to get something cheap, like a DT03,  and fling on one of J Concepts new Pro Street bodies, quite like the Chevelle. (Need to check the dimensions right enough).

https://www.jconcepts.net/shop/1967-chevy-chevelle 

Fitted the HPI charger body to a DT03, didn't turn out too bad (slightly bias, obviously...🙄😁

2018-07-21_02-08-34

• Like 3

Picked up the cheapest body I could find just to try this out and some monster pin tyres and fitted all to the dt03, not the best looking thing but I'm hoping this will be fun on grass and gravel...if it works out I just need to improve the look...:rolleyes: 

20200307_194454.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GooneyBird said:

https://www.prolineracing.com/traxxas-slash/

Proline makes a couple of not-Stadium truck bodies for the Slash. Yes, the Slash is not available as a kit, but nothing is stopping you from taking from the box, tearing it apart and putting it back together your way. ;)

I usually build many of my traxxas kits by buying individual parts.  I always use rpm offset compensating front arms, rear arms, and rear hubs.  I hate non threaded shocks, never use stock shocks.  Love the gtr shocks and the proline.  So it is always cheaper for me to build this way.  You can find parts from breakers on Ebay usually a little cheaper.

I don’t have any suggestions for a model but I’m digging the ‘68 Charger cornering.  Can’t say I’m a fan of plum crazy purple, especially when it didnt come out until 1970.  It reminds me of the 400+ miles I put on a Hellcat at a race track except it didn’t have the same body roll as it’s older cousin!

875D288C-EB74-4EA9-86E7-27C4B9445961.thumb.jpeg.acd2f446bb822f35cb3d349d87a2abdc.jpeg