osunick

3D printable control arms for TA02SW Porsche 934 to convert 236mm wheelbase to 230mm

I was inspired by this tutorial here and after living with the spacers for a bit I decided to create new suspension arms for the TA02SW to correct the wheelbase for the 230mm body. Hope this is of use to someone:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4202335

You will still need 2.5mm spacers for the upper links- I didn't bother to design new ones as those are easy enough to find and you don't need to cut anything.

Enjoy!

-n.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Top work - not just doing the design work but putting up for other people to share :) 

• Like 1

I wasn't happy with the rear camber so I tweaked the rear arms. Updated on Thingiverse. Also designed new battery mounts so that the battery wouldn't hang too far off the right of the car, distorting the body. New mounts center the battery on the chassis. I assume the original design was to offset the weight of the motor.

IMG_20200311_172448.jpg

Good share, thank you! Last time I looked at thingiverse there weren’t any sellers, I didn’t know anyone with a printer... but now there’s loads of people offering to print stuff for very good prices. 

So I am a complete nube with regards to 3D printing, how would I share  these files to someone on Shapeways to have printed?  Thanks. I have 3 ta02sw 944 Porsche’s that need this mod. 

regards, Will 

I've never done shapeways, but they would likely want the STL files. I imagine if you just point them to the thingiverse site they will know what to do. I would also like to know the story of how you ended up with three 934s.

5 minutes ago, osunick said:

I've never done shapeways, but they would likely want the STL files. I imagine if you just point them to the thingiverse site they will know what to do. I would also like to know the story of how you ended up with three 934s.

Thanks for the quick reply!  I have the black version, 40th version and a parts car. 
I also have the 30th anniversary, not sure when I’ll get around to building it  

I’m still working during all this chaos so I don’t have much time, but will post pictures of my collection soon. 

On 5/1/2020 at 7:47 AM, SuperChamp82 said:

Any update on paying for a few of these sir  ? @osunick

too much work, but there are services that will 3d print any design you provide. This design is free to use and remix, so feel free.

Had 10 mins to mess around this afternoon waiting for some design work to come in. Hope OSUNICK doesn't mind.

xQkCiAF.jpg

Ab8t9g5.jpg

Put some root rads around the boss where the shock mounts, few rads around the part and few other odd bits.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Would be very interested in 3 sets if you’re able to upload to Shapeways @Manix92 ?

If you PM me your e-mail I will send you STL , Step & parasolid file. Then you can do what you like with them :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manix92 said:

Had 10 mins to mess around this afternoon waiting for some design work to come in. Hope OSUNICK doesn't mind.

xQkCiAF.jpg

Ab8t9g5.jpg

Put some root rads around the boss where the shock mounts, few rads around the part and few other odd bits.

Awesome! Will you post on Thingiverse as a remix? 

Actually @osunick I might do a few more little mods if you don't mind. Just need to finish the paying work I am doing at the moment and then I will get back on it.

Thinking on it I will probably then just make a zip file with various formats and a wetransfer link that anyone can download from and do what they want with for this model. I pay for the professional seat of solidworks myself so I don't answer to anyone if I want to release stuff free.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, osunick said:

Awesome! Will you post on Thingiverse as a remix? 

Though the reason why I put many rads is that I designed to print on an FDM printer with no supports. The only radii i put in was for suspension clearance, since I don't have to worry about injection molding issues. The suspension I have is basic looking but prints well.

3 minutes ago, osunick said:

Though the reason why I put many rads is that I designed to print on an FDM printer with no supports. The only radii i put in was for suspension clearance, since I don't have to worry about injection molding issues. The suspension I have is basic looking but prints well.

Well looking at it - I was partly thinking reduce weight and remove points for cracking. Sharp corners are more likely to give a point to propagate cracks from. The prototypes I deal with are FDM, SLS, and SLA. The FDM's machines use the dissolve tank method for support material. Obviously as you say compared with other types of 3D printing FDM is somewhat limited on the size of radius it can produce.

I think shapeways have got some multijet machines last week when I was looking, which is probably why Superchamp82 was requesting it on there. They define rads better than FDM.

• Like 1

Yeah, this was one of my first ever designs, and now I have an MMU2S on my Prusa so I can do soluble supports. Still, I haven't managed to break the arms yet. Totally agree that the inside corners could use more chamfering.

3 hours ago, Manix92 said:

Well looking at it - I was partly thinking reduce weight and remove points for cracking. Sharp corners are more likely to give a point to propagate cracks from. The prototypes I deal with are FDM, SLS, and SLA. The FDM's machines use the dissolve tank method for support material. Obviously as you say compared with other types of 3D printing FDM is somewhat limited on the size of radius it can produce.

I think shapeways have got some multijet machines last week when I was looking, which is probably why Superchamp82 was requesting it on there. They define rads better than FDM.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Thanks @osunick and @Manix92 - been printing your arms today

IMG-1365.jpg

hopefully get them on a car soon!

Most thanks to @osunick , I just played around with them a bit more on my software while I had spare time.

The rads/lightening I added haven't come through too badly actually using FDM looking at the image.

2 hours ago, osunick said:

I am surprised people haven't said anything about the battery holders. The stock ones push the pack way over to one side:

I always assumed this was an effort to centralise the weight distribution, given that the motor is offset from the centre line in the opposite direction, so your 'fix' might actually be undoing this. I haven't ever weighed it though to see how it compares to the plastic tub chassis, and it might not make that much difference to most people anyway.