rwordenjr

TEU-104BK Too Old?

I’m getting a 2012 kit that includes the teu 104bk ESC. I’ve seen some talk about issues using this ESC with 2.4gz transmitters/receivers. My radio is the futaba 3pv with the r203gf receiver. Anyone know if that should work normally ? Or better off to just get newer ESC?

Ummm, not if it still works. Set it all up and see. Pretty sure I have a couple of them in different cars and they go fine, for higher turn motors at least.

Hobbywing 1060's should be cheap and plentiful on Ebay if you do want to change it out. They are a good esc.

1 hour ago, Pablo68 said:

Ummm, not if it still works. Set it all up and see. Pretty sure I have a couple of them in different cars and they go fine, for higher turn motors at least.

Hobbywing 1060's should be cheap and plentiful on Ebay if you do want to change it out. They are a good esc.

Thanks for your response ! Any experience with the tamiya tble02s? Better than hobbywing 1060?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Thanks for your response ! Any experience with the tamiya tble02s? Better than hobbywing 1060?

I have both and they both work well, but of course have their limitations. The TBLE-02S is my preferred as I tend to go brushless if I want a faster motor, but I like the look of Super Stock 23T motors so have some of those and use the 1060 for them as they thermalled the TBLE-02S in a Top Force using 2S lipo.

So if you want to run fast brushed motors then the 1060. If you don't mind authenticity in old cars and are going to run brushless motors, then then the TBLE-02S.  Personally I don't think its worth spending much on brushed motors since brushless are cheap and better, other than for the look in a rerelease.

The only downside to the TBLE-02S is a lack of lipo cutoff. You can get a lipo alarm for a few dollars, or just keep an eye on the time you've been running.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

I’m getting a 2012 kit that includes the teu 104bk ESC. I’ve seen some talk about issues using this ESC with 2.4gz transmitters/receivers. My radio is the futaba 3pv with the r203gf receiver. Anyone know if that should work normally ? Or better off to just get newer ESC?

I had the exact same set up in my Blitzer with a Savox servo. The servo was glitchy with it. 
I believe that the TEU 104 ESC delivers the full battery voltage to the servo instead of 6v like most others so you need a high voltage servo. ( Someone please chip in if I’m wrong here!! )

I also fried that ESC when it got splashed with water, I got a replacement but never used once I realized about the voltage to the servo. 

So I now run a Hobbywing 1060 brushless ESC & 13.5 brushless motor because of now also running Lipo. 

It’s much better and the servo isn’t glitchy anymore 👍🏻  

I run other cars on TBLE 02 with Lipo and brushless that run fine too, just check the voltage doesn’t drop to far now and again. 

Also the hobbywing has much more tuning options than a TBLE02. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

I believe that the TEU 104 ESC delivers the full battery voltage to the servo instead of 6v like most others so you need a high voltage servo. ( Someone please chip in if I’m wrong here!! )

I think you're right. The 104 and earlier 101 ESCs from Tamiya don't have built-in BEC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

No worries.
I have the TBLE 02 in a couple of my cars, they go ok, haven't had any issues , other than calibrating them which is a bit of a pain.
Keep in mind I'm not racing or running high powered stuff with these esc's.

Some good info in this thread now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

I had the exact same set up in my Blitzer with a Savox servo. The servo was glitchy with it. 

Think my FoxShot ESC is a 101 or 104. That would explain the glitchign I get.

Cheers Muchly

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

I also fried that ESC when it got splashed with water, I got a replacement but never used once I realized about the voltage to the servo. 

So I now run a Hobbywing 1060 brushless ESC & 13.5 brushless motor because of now also running Lipo. 

I run other cars on TBLE 02 with Lipo and brushless that run fine too, just check the voltage doesn’t drop to far now and again. 

When you say glitchy, do you mean that it wouldn't respond to your controls every time? 

8 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I think you're right. The 104 and earlier 101 ESCs from Tamiya don't have built-in BEC.

Yep version 101-104 don't have a BEC, the 105 and TBLE02 do.

Without the bec servo and receiver will get the full load 7-8.4 volts depending on charge and battery type. Standard servo and 2.4 receiver prefer 4.8-6 volts.

• Like 1

Just now, waterbok said:

Yep version 101-104 don't have a BEC, the 105 and TBLE02 do.

Without the bec servo and receiver will get the full load 7-8.4 volts depending on charge and battery type. Standard servo and 2.4 receiver prefer 4.8-6 volts.

So the 105 or TBLE02 would be good options if i just want to run stock brushed?

36 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

If you already have some, and for use with 2.4ghz, yes, otherwise I would recommend the quicrun 1060.

2 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

When you say glitchy, do you mean that it wouldn't respond to your controls every time? 

In some case, no control what so ever.  It'd move like it needs exorcism.  In other cases, it would work mostly fine. Just that it'd jerk occasionally.  

56 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

If you have an old analog servo and if you are running a silver can (stock 540 motor), 104bk should work fine.  After all, 104BK was made when digital servos were rare.  But if you have a digital servo, you want to go with newer ESCs like 105BK, TBLE02S, or Hobbywing 1060.  

ESCs can do different things. 

• TBLE02S 2 in 1 ESC: brushed and brushless motors.  Brushed down to 25t, brushless down to 13.5t.  This is temperature and load sensitive.  Meaning, if you run it in snow, it could handle 23t brushed. If you run it on a hot summer day, it could only handle 25t.  Same with brushless.  In cold weather, it might be fine with 10.5t, but in hot weather 13.5t.  13.5t brushless is much faster than the stock brushed motor, and has more torque.  
  • 105BK is of older design.  Only brushed motors down to 25t.  (same as above, just no option to run brushless)
  • Hobbywing 1060 only for brushed motors.  But 1060 can handle a brushed motor down to 12 turn (it can handle much faster brushed motors).
  • Hobbywing 10BL60 : only brushless motors down to 13.5t off-road, 8.5t on-road.  
  • Like 2

The TEU-104BK is a forward and reverse running electronic speed controller featuring a high frequency wave drive system. 

The TEU-104BK is intended to run the included 540 motor (27 Turns) found in most of Tamiya's assembly kits, and can handle up to a 25 Turn Tamiya Torque Tuned motor. The TEU-104BK is compatible with Lithium-Ion battery technologies, and includes a battery cut-off function to prevent over-discharging. Alarm and LED warnings indicate no-signal status.

Caution: Motors rated below 25 Turns are not meant to be used with the TEU-105BK and should not be used.

The TEU-104BK features a receiver battery connector that must be plugged into the receivers “battery” port. However, the receiver that is used MUST have BEC (battery eliminator circuitry). If the receiver being used does not have BEC, you will be delivering the full voltage of the main battery pack to the receiver (between 6.0-7.4 volts) with no voltage regulation. This will result in putting too much voltage into the receiver thereby possibly frying the receiver and severely shortening the life of the unit. Built in BEC circuitry in a receiver regulates the main battery voltage to 6.0V, thereby making it suitable to use. Modern radio receivers for R/C do not have BEC. BEC has is now a main feature in modern ESC units, thereby it not being needed in the receiver itself. If you have a receiver without BEC it is recommended you not use the TEU-104BK with your radio gear. Instead, the Tamiya TEU-105BK is better suited for modern day receiver units. 

Does this help?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Juggular said:

In some case, no control what so ever.  It'd move like it needs exorcism.  In other cases, it would work mostly fine. Just that it'd jerk occasionally.  

If you have an old analog servo and if you are running a silver can (stock 540 motor), 104bk should work fine.  After all, 104BK was made when digital servos were rare.  But if you have a digital servo, you want to go with newer ESCs like 105BK, TBLE02S, or Hobbywing 1060.  

ESCs can do different things. 

• TBLE02S 2 in 1 ESC: brushed and brushless motors.  Brushed down to 25t, brushless down to 13.5t.  This is temperature and load sensitive.  Meaning, if you run it in snow, it could handle 23t brushed. If you run it on a hot summer day, it could only handle 25t.  Same with brushless.  In cold weather, it might be fine with 10.5t, but in hot weather 13.5t.  13.5t brushless is much faster than the stock brushed motor, and has more torque.  
  • 105BK is of older design.  Only brushed motors down to 25t.  (same as above, just no option to run brushless)
  • Hobbywing 1060 only for brushed motors.  But 1060 can handle a brushed motor down to 12 turn (it can handle much faster brushed motors).
  • Hobbywing 10BL60 : only brushless motors down to 13.5t off-road, 8.5t on-road.  

Thanks so much for the info ! I want to put the tamiya 25t gt motor in the stadium thunder. Probably will run it with the teu105 ESC. Anything else needed to make that combo work ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rwordenjr said:

Thanks so much for the info ! I want to put the tamiya 25t gt motor in the stadium thunder. Probably will run it with the teu105 ESC. Anything else needed to make that combo work ? 

Some decent tires ;)

The stock tamiya wear fast, I got proline Trenchers on the rear and dirt hawg front.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

3 hours ago, Juggular said:

In other cases, it would work mostly fine. Just that it'd jerk occasionally.  

•  

Mine was jerky all the time, even sitting stationary with no input from the Transmitter. It would still turn left & right but was still jerky in its movements. Funny thing was it was fine at first, the symptoms developed after a few runs. 
I thought the Servo was the culprit, but seeing as the servo cost me $60 and a learning about the lack of BEC with the 104, I decided to change the ESC to a HW 1060 Brushless ESC as it was also $60 and was I going Lipo as well. 
Once the HW ESC was installed the servo was operating normally again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waterbok said:

Some decent tires ;)

The stock tamiya wear fast, I got proline Trenchers on the rear and dirt hawg front.

Oh okay, thanks. Should the teu-105 be able to handle the 25t gt?

1 hour ago, rwordenjr said:

Oh okay, thanks. Should the teu-105 be able to handle the 25t gt?

Tamiya says; "The 105BK can handle up to a 25 Turn Tamiya Torque Tuned motor"

While GT tuned is a faster motor than Torque Tuned it is still a 25t motor. I don't know why Tamiya only mentions Torque Tuned.  They could have said "Torque Tuned" and "GT Tuned."  So, technically yes, TEU-105 should be able to handle GT Tuned, if you have a TEU105 laying about.  If you have to spend money to buy an ESC, I'd go with Hobbywing 1060.  1060 can handle twice hotter motor than 105 could.  Might even be cheaper and water resistant also, which is why 1060 has become a go-to ESC for brushed motors. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Same set up as in futaba 3pv, 203 receiver and savox servo? 

1 hour ago, Juggular said:

Tamiya says; "The 105BK can handle up to a 25 Turn Tamiya Torque Tuned motor"

While GT tuned is a faster motor than Torque Tuned it is still a 25t motor. I don't know why Tamiya only mentions Torque Tuned.  They could have said "Torque Tuned" and "GT Tuned."  So, technically yes, TEU-105 should be able to handle GT Tuned, if you have a TEU105 laying about.  If you have to spend money to buy an ESC, I'd go with Hobbywing 1060.  1060 can handle twice hotter motor than 105 could.  Might even be cheaper and water resistant also, which is why 1060 has become a go-to ESC for brushed motors. 

So confusing, tamiya just replied to me and said the 104 should work fine with my set up 

Yeah, it's confusing, because we are talking about thermal effect.  

It's basically how much electricity flows how fast.  If enough heat gets created, it will stop ESC from functioning.  If you put too heavy a tire with tall gearing, any ESC could fry.  

So, keep the tires light. If they are heavier than stock, keep the gearing low.

And have fun!!

4 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Yeah, it's confusing, because we are talking about thermal effect.  

It's basically how much electricity flows how fast.  If enough heat gets created, it will stop ESC from functioning.  If you put too heavy a tire with tall gearing, any ESC could fry.  

So, keep the tires light. If they are heavier than stock, keep the gearing low.

And have fun!!

not even gonna risk it, just going to get the 1060 or 105bk. pair it with the gt motor and a savox 1258 servo 

2 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Same set up as in futaba 3pv, 203 receiver and savox servo? 

Yep exactly the same 👍🏻

3 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Yep exactly the same 👍🏻

I need to get a 25T pinion gear right ? any other easy upgrades I should be looking at from the start?