Jonnythefox87

Super clod black edition- how long will it be available for?

As the title says, how long do the coloured variants stay on sale for? I’m seriously interested in the black clod but don’t know if I need to act quickly or if they’ll be available for a while. I wasn’t in the hobby when the monster beetle or lunchbox colour variants were released so I have no point for comparison 

That's a question nobody could answer 100% sure. The folks at Tamiya are quite unpredictable. 

There are a lot of factors that play role in this. I say if they make a whole new box for a product than it will be on the market for quite a long time. But the fact is that the Clod Buster is one of the most popular trucks out there and it will sell fast.

Also to be honest, this truck looks super awsome cool in black edition, more cool than any other trucks in black edition in my oppinion... A lot of vintage Clod owners will buy the kit only for the red parts.

It is strange that the body is made after the original 1987 mold and is High Impect Styrene (PS) instead of the Super Clods ABS body...

So I would say get them while they last ;)

Tough to say. I've seen non-"limited edition" vehicles come and go quickly. I've seen other limited editions like the Fighting Buggy get a second run (under a different part number IIRC). I've also seen so-called limited editions like the Super Astute hang around for awhile too. It seems here in the US that some stores are out of the first batch of Black Super Clods already but hint that a second batch is coming. I'd theorize if it sells, Tamiya will continue to make more (perhaps cautiously in batch runs). If you really plan on getting one, I guess I'd grab one though just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the responses, I’m sure it’s based on educated guesses rather than true knowledge as to know what tamiya will do.

in January my plan was to get a monster beetle (childhood dream rc car) and wait a while to get a clod, but no rush. Then February came and the black clod shows up and i was like ..... wow! I’m not a big fan of the Standard super clod blue colouring so now I’m thinking the MB can wait but this black clod may not hang around!

I don't want to affect you, this is just my personal oppinion...

Now if I had to choose between lets say the Clod, the new CC02 or the Abrams FullOp tank, it would be hard...

But your choose is between two monster trucks...

Few month ago I built a Monster Beetle. It is a nice car and good to have it in my collection but nowhere near the Clod Buster... (sorry for all MB lovers...)

The Clod is THE Monster Truck.

If I only had to keep one Tamiya, it would be the Clod Buster. 

4ws vs. 2ws

4wd vs. 2wd

2 motors vs. 1 motor

A GIANT vs. ... a beetle.

Come on, you know you want that Clod... take a look inside this box:

20200305_172941.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 1:27 PM, TDanny said:

I don't want to affect you, this is just my personal oppinion...

Now if I had to choose between lets say the Clod, the new CC02 or the Abrams FullOp tank, it would be hard...

But your choose is between two monster trucks...

Few month ago I built a Monster Beetle. It is a nice car and good to have it in my collection but nowhere near the Clod Buster... (sorry for all MB lovers...)

The Clod is THE Monster Truck.

If I only had to keep one Tamiya, it would be the Clod Buster. 

4ws vs. 2ws

4wd vs. 2wd

2 motors vs. 1 motor

A GIANT vs. ... a beetle.

Come on, you know you want that Clod... take a look inside this box:

20200305_172941.jpg

Even I'm looking in the box and want one!

18 hours ago, GTodd said:

Whats the instruction supliment for?

It's for the metal axle stays. They don't align with the screw holes directly so you have to bend them with long nose pillers. It was a real pain in the a...

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2020 at 7:37 PM, TDanny said:

It's for the metal axle stays. They don't align with the screw holes directly so you have to bend them with long nose pillers. It was a real pain in the a...

Ahhhh! Well that makes a lot more sense now.

I struggled for ages trying to get them to fit while I was build my Super Clod a week ago. I don't remember seeing that suplment in my box....

On 3/9/2020 at 2:37 AM, TDanny said:

Crap, mine were like that and didn't get a supliment either, big pain! Still a fun build!

I'm going to go against the grain here (sorry) I've had a few clods right back to the original Chevy and it's a tamiya rc I never actually enjoyed building:unsure: it was just one of those kit which I found you had red raw hands after all the wrenching! yeah it looks big and impressive when its built and that was my other problem I never had anywhere big enough to display it so I was constantly moving it around and it always annoyed me how the back wheels turning always worked better than the front:rolleyes: the black edition does look like a very impressive model though and the box is very neat I'm thinking its going to be around in batches for a good time yet!

1 hour ago, moffman said:

I'm going to go against the grain here (sorry) I've had a few clods right back to the original Chevy and it's a tamiya rc I never actually enjoyed building:unsure: it was just one of those kit which I found you had red raw hands after all the wrenching! yeah it looks big and impressive when its built and that was my other problem I never had anywhere big enough to display it so I was constantly moving it around and it always annoyed me how the back wheels turning always worked better than the front:rolleyes: the black edition does look like a very impressive model though and the box is very neat I'm thinking its going to be around in batches for a good time yet!

I think that you are not buying the Clod because of it's a good and high performance truck... A Clod is a Clod. It was a good high performance truck in the '80s but now it's 2020.

Yeah, to be honest it was a real pain to build it but I liked it. When it's finished it feels so cheap with all those plastic parts and when you run it it's horrible how it rattles around.

But it's a Clod and I love it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TDanny said:

I think that you are not buying the Clod because of it's a good and high performance truck... A Clod is a Clod. It was a good high performance truck in the '80s but now it's 2020.

Yeah, to be honest it was a real pain to build it but I liked it. When it's finished it feels so cheap with all those plastic parts and when you run it it's horrible how it rattles around.

But it's a Clod and I love it!

Yeah you go for it I'm absolutely not knocking it! And it's always been one impressive looking model and back in the day of its original release it was a game changer and to be honest if space and funds wasn't an option I would have myself a clod black but I'm saving for the terra scorcher:)

10 hours ago, TDanny said:

When it's finished it feels so cheap with all those plastic parts and when you run it it's horrible how it rattles around.

I agree after putting one together nowadays, it does seem rather plasticy. I always try to keep in mind that 1. It does use a higher number of nuts/bolts vs. just self tapping screws like typical Tamiya plastic fantastic 2. It is really well engineered plastic constructs that Tamiya came up with. Those axles take a lot of abuse, far more than Tamiya ever envisioned. 

As for the rattling (which I hated too) I found most of the rattling comes from the stock shocks. I wrapped some tape (could be as simple as making tape) around the "tops" (where they attach to the bodies) of the shocks before plugging them into the shock bodies to take up the loose tolerances in this area which leads to the rattling.