Sign in to follow this  
Gazzalene

RW Pinions

I took the tip and never use the Soft metal pinions supplied with the kits. When I look to order it nearly always ends up being RW in the 0.6 mod. These are good quality BUT always thinner by apx 1mm than the Tamiya gears. Does this cause issues with wear at all? When I get 32dp always nice and wide

Less contact surface so theoreticaly more wear but compared to the soft alloy ones not a point to worry imo.

• Like 1

I usually run RW in all my cars. Currently running one on a DB01-R with 6.5t motor with no ware issues. 

I’ve run RW for years, the Tamiya plastic gears don’t really wear if the pinion doesn’t wear. Given the RW gears don’t wear. Despite the width I’ve found them to be a for life product. 

I think a lot of people don’t realise how tuff those white plastic Tamiya gears can be, it’s the stupid aluminium pinions it’s counter gears that stuff up the gearboxes.

I’ve put a lot of fairly silly power through those white gears without a slipper or even torque limiting and never managed to break the gears or wear them out, unless the outside world gets inside.

• Like 1