Gazzalene

XV-01, Cells that fit!

I have yet to find a pack that fits the XV-01 well and I am talking 2s!

Of the 3 packs I have bought so far I have put them aside for my Beetle Blitzer and TT-01.  2 packs were round and 1 square.

2 issues,prob my fault.  I am using the new style XT60`s this plug is too big to fit through the tray aperture, so I attached it to the esc wires when they were placed through the hole. This plug can not fit at the side of a pack.Must be at the end gap.

Second issue, The 3 packs all came with REALLY thick leads,so unable to fit all that at the gap UNLESS I really cut them short. Even if I went over to sq deans which take up less room I would still struggle.

I need to find packs with thinner leads so I can bundle them easier. But I have to buy cells online and depending where you get from its hard to tell buy the pictures AND as usual the ones that will do the job are not in stock!

Any other XV-01 owners have probs finding cells that do the job? I am still very much new to the hobby so not up on most things.

These are what I use

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-6000mah-2s2p-65-130c-hardcase-lipo-pack.html

with the plugs soldered directly to the esc lead at 90deg. 

Hobbyking sells a separate charge lead so it doesn’t matter if you chop up the one it comes with. 

I agree most other styles of packs don’t fit very well. I typically use XT90, so I understand the nightmare this car can be for traditional plug setup. I love my square packs, they only fit about 2/3 of my cars though. 

I never even thought about that style of pack. I was thinking that that kind would not suit the "box" style compartment. Don't the connectors with wires stand proud and stop the lid fitting?

The connectors go at the top, if you look there is a spot built into the chassis for that. But with the 90deg soldered tab it sits virtually flush. It’s the best fitting packs I’ve ever used in the XV01. 

I don't have an XV01,  but I most of my packs are the same style as above, with the plug in lead style.  I have a couple of full size packs,  and several shorty packs in the same setup.  Having several different chassis I have a different lead for the specific chassis.  Very handy.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/graphene-4600mah-2s2p-hardcase-shorty-w-5mm-female-bullet-connector.html?queryID=891b304b54578dcb4c833096d6f065e9&objectID=45469&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-ultimate-4600mah-2s2p-90c-hardcase-lipo-short-pack-roar-brca-approved.html?queryID=3cd04ec92f504c3fc3e0d7fce69b872d&objectID=30790&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-shorty-4200mah-2s2p-65-130c-hardcase-lipo-pack-roar-approved.html?queryID=8cc2080109fe5dd51806badd4e24cdf5&objectID=30789&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

I have one of each of these.  They last as long as I need them too for the most part.  CC01,  201,  Stampede,  Desert Fox,  just to name a few that I use them in.  I don't know the exact battery compartment on an XV01,  but they might be a good option.

Juls1 , kwkenuf... Thanks for the help with this. I had seen the 2 "dents" in the battery compartment top BUT did not realise what it was for. I see now how this style pack works.

Before I choose which capacity I would like and in check if in stock can I just ask a couple of questions to make sure I know what I am doing.? So to charge the pack the power leads AND the small balance lead need to be inserted to the pack? So the 2 power leads need to be removable from the esc OR if permenant to the esc a separate set of leads will be needed to charge?

In one of the pictures Kwkenuf posted, the leads come with 2 separate gold plugs,what would these be for?

Just want to make sure I understand about the lead connections for running AND charging.  Could you run these packs with the balance lead section not connected?

I use shorty packs, mostly 3s with permanently attached leads. 

They typically run 3500 to 4000 mah and last quite long. 

what I like best is the ability to shift the weight of the battery forward or backward. 

If you use the included plugs you can run it and charge it with that lead (you’ll have to put a plug on it of course). They do sell a specific charger lead for these packs 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/professional-car-battery-charge-lead.html?queryID=7a3eb69535551260f8f9db008f94fd7f&objectID=65930&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

They are cheap enough just buy them too, I took the bullets off the included leads and put them on the esc in my xv01. Of course, ideally you still need to use the pack in other cars so maybe you’ll want to just put a xt60/90 on the included lead, just not quite as tidy inside the car. 

ive tried to find those 90deg flat solder banana plugs separate with no luck (in stock anyway). But you can find other banana plugs that will work just not quite as tidy. 

On 3/7/2020 at 1:33 PM, Gazzalene said:

I have yet to find a pack that fits the XV-01 well and I am talking 2s!

Of the 3 packs I have bought so far I have put them aside for my Beetle Blitzer and TT-01.  2 packs were round and 1 square.

2 issues,prob my fault.  I am using the new style XT60`s this plug is too big to fit through the tray aperture, so I attached it to the esc wires when they were placed through the hole. This plug can not fit at the side of a pack.Must be at the end gap.

Second issue, The 3 packs all came with REALLY thick leads,so unable to fit all that at the gap UNLESS I really cut them short. Even if I went over to sq deans which take up less room I would still struggle.

I need to find packs with thinner leads so I can bundle them easier. But I have to buy cells online and depending where you get from its hard to tell buy the pictures AND as usual the ones that will do the job are not in stock!

Any other XV-01 owners have probs finding cells that do the job? I am still very much new to the hobby so not up on most things.

Maybe miss understanding you here but what about these - I have them and they fit okay:

https://www.racing-cars.com/core-rc-4000mahr-7-4v-30-60c-2s-lipo-cr293

currently using a TBLE-02s ESC and using a Deans to Tamiya adaptor which fits (ultimately I should just get rid of the Tamiya bit on the esc and put on a male deans but I don't like messing the esc (silly really!))

I'm using Gens Ace 5000mAh 50c 2S packs, GA-B1022, with Dean's connectors. They fit perfectly.

The Dean's connectors is so nice and small that it doesn't have any of the space issues found with every other connector, and makes battery fitment a thousand times easier. Using a shorty pack will definitely free up a lot of space, although it's fairly difficult to find shorties with integral leads- most come with 4 or 5mm tubes, which make the pack too tall. I use pieces of self-adhesive foam to position the pack in the box to hold it still and make it easier to install the battery door quickly.

I have trimmed the opening from the battery compartment over to the esc compartment. Takes 1 minute, anyone can do it, and then you never have to think about your connectors again. 

I use xt60 btw and it only takes a bit of trimming the opening to make enough room for that connector. 

21 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

I have trimmed the opening from the battery compartment over to the esc compartment. Takes 1 minute, anyone can do it, and then you never have to think about your connectors again. 

I use xt60 btw and it only takes a bit of trimming the opening to make enough room for that connector. 

It's not so much fitting the connector through the hole, but the space that the connector takes up in the battery box. XT60s are definitely superior to Dean's, and would be my connector of choice if I didn't have so many cramped vehicles.