Sign in to follow this  
GTodd

Clod Buster non servo on axle steering mod?

Good Evening all, Im currently working on my 1987 sort of Clod Tribute.  I dont want to go with servo on axle steering because I want to keep true to the original design.  I keep reading about a so called servo horn mod, but when I use anything larger than the stock servo horn I get issues where the horn or rods foul on the chassis, please assist, how do I increase steering with out going to servo on axle?

I just use the generic "disc" servo horn that comes with most servos and drill my own holes. I only space the new holes out about one hole width from the original so I don't run into the chassis clearance problems you spoke of. IIRC, it doesn't take much. The steering is limited by the pins on the hubs and the tabs on the "C" of the axle tube so you just want to ensure enough travel to reach those stops. I've also run a big double-ended Kimbrough servo saver in past on the servo and locked down the sprung savers on the bellcranks in the axles (along with using heftier rods) in an attempt to shore up the stock steering system.

While the stock steering is somewhat, um, imprecise we'll say, it suits the bouncy nature of the stock Clod. In stock form, I still find Clods pretty controllable and they turn pretty well for their size without tipping over (better than my USA-1 for instance). Now, as speed goes up, that's another matter.

Like what Saito mentioned, I use the servo horn that came with the servo which is a little extended compared to stock servo horn. In addition, I tightened the servo saver springs so that there are virtually no play. Hopefully this will not rip out the servo mount upon any sort of contact.

You could try fitting 2 servos vertically in the chassis, this would give more flexibility with length of servo horn throw as you would not have 1 'high' and 1 'low'. control rod going out the chassis. Never done this myself, but it was something I considered before going to servos on the axle.