Sign in to follow this  
TDanny

New Clod Buster Black part deformation

Hi All,

So I started to build my Clod Buster Black edition yesterday. Compared to modern tamiya cars you can feel that this model is an old design but that never really bothered me. 

The problem is that it seems that my kit (or also others maybe...) have some parts deformed in the box. Its the axlae tubes C hub that is a bit deformed and dont align well with the uprights screws. Is it a common design flaw with Clod busters? 

Now as my gearboxes were ready built when I realised this they will stay this way and I will only change them when they give up but Im not happy with Tamiyas quality control... :(

see the gap on the picture: 

20200307_202225.jpg

1 hour ago, TDanny said:

Is it a common design flaw with Clod busters? 

Not that I'm aware of. I know there's a washer that fits down in a little recess on the the hub (1 top and bottom) before it get bolted to "C" on the axle tube with the step screws. The top of the "C" in the picture does look terribly out of parallel with the hub which I've never seen in any of my Clod Busters/Bullheads. Granted my "newest" Clod in my fleet is an original release Super Clod (with the MSC) so things may have changed in that time. Hopefully this is just an anomaly. Sorry you got stuck with it. Axle tubes are a pain to replace.  

Mine aren't like this, and my 80's Clod never had this problem either. It seems to be a symptom on newer machines. I've bought many tamiyas over the years and have only relatively recently seen this appearing (My Jagdpanther shell was distorted)

I'll contact my LHS if they can ask for a new set to fix it... but no way I'll change them only if they give up. It runs fine and the servo can handle the extra friction. We'll see. 

If the LHS  doesn't help, contact Tamiya directly. I had a Boomerang re-re with a thin spot in the body that instantly became a hole when I picked it up to paint it. They asked for a pic and then sent out a new body for free. Tamiya does stand behind their stuff when its blatant like that axle tube.