Sign in to follow this  
montogeek

XV01 Brushless fit problem

Hi!

I bought this combo: https://www.modellbau-berlinski.de/rc-fahrzeuge-und-zubehoer/autos-und-zubehoer/berlinskis-tamiya-brushless-edition/subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-team-arai-xv-01-brushless-komplettset unfortunately at the end of the build I realized that the brushless ESC doesn't fit inside the covers of the XV01 chassis, there is simply not enough space to put the cover on top and screw it correctly, the ESC is too tall for it.

It is ok to run this setup without the cover? The ESC is water and dust proof, the ON/OFF switch also has a plastic cover.

What I am worried about is the receiver, it is a very simple receiver https://tamico.de/Carson-FS-Reflex-X1-2-channel-24G  which is not water or dust proof.

What are my options?

Is there other brushless alternatives that can fit inside the XV01 electronics cover?

Or buy a water-dust proof receiver to make sure it won't break after the first run?

Thanks in advance!

I had the exact problem with a BL combo. I could not see myself running the car in damp or real wet weather so not fitting the cover would not of worried me BUT it just did not look right. So for me I went with a brushed 12T  and 2s LiPo.  The thing is I then found getting LiPo packs to fit a issue,i have not long posted asking about this. Good model but tricky to fit out BUT I am a newb so that as not helped.

One thing that I have quickly learned is not to use a unsensored motors if at all possible. Again, recently asked about "cogging".

You will get good advice here if stuck,if you don't want to ask "silly" questions just look up my posts instead : )

@GazzaleneThanks a lot for answering, Do you have a link for your parts? I guess I will have to go that way, I really wanted to have brushless power.

Will learn about what unsensored motor means :)

The only disadvantage of not running the electrics box cover is that you lose the rear mudguard. You could cut out the top of the box.

There is 2 types of brushless motors, sensored and unsensored. 

in Sensored motors there is sensors to tell the ESC where the rotor is in relation to which electro magnetic circuit it's firing. This helps when the motor is at standstill so that the esc can send the electricity to the right electromagnet to get you off to a smooth start.

Without the sensors in the motor, the esc just sends blind electricity spinning around inside the motor, this can lead to the motor "cogging" or essentially hop and skipping initially when it tries to take off from a stand still, For bashing however, once the motor is "moving" there isn't much difference between using Sensored or Sensorless. 

This being said, Lightweight vehicles like 1/10 touring cars generally do better with sensored motors, and any 1/10 race vehicle is going to be best with a sensored system, when it comes to heavy basher cars with big heavy tires you don't usually need sensored systems, and Sensorless systems usually have significantly more power for less money, so they used more often in that application. This being said in most race situations you'll use sensored only, and to get the performance of low/mid priced sensorless, you normally need to reach to the top shelf of the sensored systems.

Juls

I understand, a lot to think about, for this car I just want to run it on very small jumps, like a real rally car, nothing more.

Do you know a brushless motor that can fit on it? Or if this is not possible, do you any recommendation for a good brushed 12T Motor that fits?

You can take off the fan and install a 30mm fan in the forward scoop of the radio box. A low gear ratio will reduce cogging at low speed. XV01s are tight and require "imaginative" electronics installation so try mocking things up before settling in a layout.

The XV01 Facebook group has a lot of pics of electronics, too.

Saw some mod parts on Shapeways that look like they address the issue you're talking about montogeek.Just search XV-01 and you'll see a bunch.

I've run my XV with the receiver box cut almost since new.  No issues.