Tbc68

Which Blackfoot

I'll stick my neck out on the line and say because of parts availability and more hop-up options, go with the original/re-re.

The others are long out of production and parts are going to be difficult to find compared to the ORV chassis based ones.

If you can find a nice used Super BF, get that.  You'll be happier with the transmission/rear end.  If not, get a re-re BF or MB.  Both are nearly identical, the only real difference being the body.

I have no opinion of the newer Blackfoot WT-01 chassis', having never had one in my possession...

Terry

There's a lot to be said for the parts availability of the re-res, so if you're worried about being able to repair or replace after breakages or imperfect prototype mods, the re-res will give less stress.  There are design flaws with them but parts are available to address some of these problems and if customisation is your thing, there's plenty of scope to fix the rest yourself.

However, as @Frog Jumper has said, the Super Blackfoot, King Blackfoot and Bush Devil chassis are superior to the original / re-re designs.  The revised rear-end in particular is way better.  It has a smoother and generally nicer independent suspension arrangement and a better transmission.  The front end is less Meccano and more specific part; that said, there's plenty of scope for improvement here.  The stock design has uneven length steering shafts and suffers terribly from bump-steer.  A skilled modder could have lots of fun sorting that out.  Mine has been on the shelf pending a complete front-end redesign for years, I just haven't got around to it yet.

Since the Super chassis hasn't been re-released, replacement parts are harder to source.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tbc68 said:

is the bush devil a better option or not?

The (original) Bush Devil is a blue chassis Super Blackfoot.  It also came with a lexan body instead of an ABS hard plastic body.  Actually , the blue chassis is quite rare.  In the last (5) years, I've only ever seen (1) NIB set, and I think AmPro bought that one for his Poison Dart Frog project (I emailed him the ebay link and soon thereafter his Frog was blue)...

The King Blackfoot is a dark grey chassis Super Blackfoot, with a brand new "upgraded" front end.  I've never driven one, and the parts for the front end are very hard to find and/or expensive.  I cannot comment on whether or not the "upgrade" is actually an upgrade, or just more polishing a turd...  The chassis' for the new black edition Monster Beetle are the same color as the original King Blackfoot chassis.

Since we're talking about different ORV colors, there was also a chrome edition Brat (with chrome chassis) and a company called CCP (Custom Chrome Products) that chromed some of the original grey chassis'.  

Terry

Here is the Bushy D:

9Ab4zr8.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

The (original) Bush Devil is a blue chassis Super Blackfoot.  It also came with a lexan body instead of an ABS hard plastic body.  Actually , the blue chassis is quite rare.  In the last (5) years, I've only ever seen (1) NIB set, and I think AmPro bought that one for his Poison Dart Frog project (I emailed him the ebay link and soon thereafter his Frog was blue)...

The King Blackfoot is a dark grey chassis Super Blackfoot, with a brand new "upgraded" front end.  I've never driven one, and the parts for the front end are very hard to find and/or expensive.  I cannot comment on whether or not the "upgrade" is actually an upgrade, or just more polishing a turd...  The chassis' for the new black edition Monster Beetle are the same color as the original King Blackfoot chassis.

Since we're talking about different ORV colors, there was also a chrome edition Brat (with chrome chassis) and a company called CCP (Custom Chrome Products) that chromed some of the original grey chassis'.  

Terry

Here is the Bushy D:

9Ab4zr8.jpg

Hmm good point, paving the way for a rere... kBF🙏

• Like 1

WT01 chassis is pretty solid, and no real flaws in terms of reliability. The drivetrain is robust and will take big power. Handling is a bit weird out of the box because the front has no kick up and no caster on the steering (because it's related to the twin motor version which uses another 'rear' gearbox flipped around for the front). The Tamiya GF01 8 deg caster c hubs in aluminium help, but they're pricey. I did some solid plastic 2wd versions with no driveshaft hole for my Comical Hornet. They're on my Shapeways store (CTE RC), and they're cheaper than the tamiya part. Other than that, tall shock towers for longer shocks seems to be popular, but with oil damped mini shocks on the stock towers it would handle just fine.