c64orinoco

Apocalypse preparation

Dramatic turn of events, we got 2 hours notice and told the office was shutting at midday. Not opening at all next week. So I might get some quality time in after all.

• Like 4

i blame the media totally for these stupid idiots panic buying either the  its the news or face book or similar that make it worse for instance my wife works for asda and the stupidity that is going on there is beyond belief when a pallet of bog rolls arrives customers are on face book posting and before you now it loads turn up after bog roll its just stupid and customers are takeing pics of empty shelfs and no dought posting and moaning about the empty shelfs not realiseing it thier dahm fault to start with.

today we did our weekly shop both for use and my mother and it was worse than christmas in thier 

no eggs

no bog roll 

no tin baked beans

no tin tomatoes

no pasta

no paracetomol (thank to the news yesterday saying to use them )

no tined veg

no hand cleaner (but its been like that for over a week)

no bottled water

most of the freezers empty 

and the place looks like a bomb as gone of in their aswell with cardboard everywhere due to the staff can't keep up as they keep being called to serve at the tills

i even saw a woman with about 10 boxs or cereal in her trolly i mean why 

then i had to go and pay a bill for my mother at the post office and i deceided to go to the local farm foods as it was a few mins walk away

and i got a couple of things and i came to the isle where the bog roll is kept and from the start of the isle a new pallet of the stuff  and by the time i got by it it was empty folk was grabbing minimum 4 packs and they was 18 roll packs:o i could not beleive my eyes then when i was the till i look over to the entrance and customers started comeing in by the ton ..i recon some idiot had been on facebook again but it was already to late as the bog roll was gone.

i recon come the next few weeks it will be out of controll 

know yesterday ireland and scotland did the right thing but our clever lot running our country deceided to have a wait  and leave it get worse 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

We're used to keeping 2 weeks worth of extra food on hand, and plenty of bottled water, for earthquake preparedness. They've been telling us for years that "the big one" could happen any time, and my wife is a planner, so...

As far as occupying my time if we do end up being told to stay home, it won't be an issue. Plenty of RC projects, not to mention static models, an MGB to rewire, a vintage trailer to work on, and a new daily driver/beater that needs some tinkering, plus whatever around-the-house stuff I get roped into doing. I could be at home for 2 straight weeks and still complain about "not having any time."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My work is funny. Due to certain factories in certain countries shutting down and importing being a bit patchy we have had an almighty influx of orders. Clients who've been ghosts to us for nearly a decade are suddenly placing large orders again, grades of material that haven't been requested since the early 00's are having to he mixed up.  A part I make maybe 30 of every other month, I am currently doing 72 per day. All research & development is suspended. Production is key. 

When everyone esle is working from home, we get overtime offered. This is remarkable because that hasn't been around since Hotshots roamed the earth.  Of course this is just the factory floor. The office and the senior management are out of the picture. This is a bit of a silly move as the office and upper have sick pay whereas "us down here" don't get a penny. 

Ps,  I won't go into details of what I make but they're used on some 1:1 trains, as well as model ones. Something that you'd even find inside a silver can:P

So no project hoarding for me, not for the foreseeable. I like to think the extra money from shifts might go towards some HS prop joints or a boomerang shell & MCI order. It's nice to dream :D

• Like 6

The buses are running for the foreseeable future so no time off for me. Having said that Mrs B is having her knee replaced on 23/3, if it goes ahead so have a week off, so may get some building in.

Talk about ironic I was sitting in traffic today just outside a Tesco's nothing new a bad bit of road design! Anyway I was listening to the radio and some random guy on a phone in was talking about "the blitz spirit" in the 2nd world war and he seemed to think that's what will happen with the British public with this virus! as I was listening I was watching 2 guys punch the living $*** out of each other in the Tesco's car park..........I thought yeah right mate "blitz spirit" don't make me laugh it's a me me me culture in this country now! Let's see how much blitz spirit is around in a few weeks or so when companies start making people redundant? 

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

I've been in self isolation (UK) since Monday and have another 10 days or so to go. I really wish I had some projects that needed finishing. Not going to work is one thing but staying at home is really boring. 

P.S I have enough toilet roll. 

I bought my first disaster prep item today.  A bag of dog food.  Still have 1/2 a bag left, but that is the one thing I can not do without.   I will go hungry before my dogs do.

20190909_213020.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Drove 6 hours to Atlanta for my son’s swimming meet.  13 miles from the hotel in downtown Atlanta, we get the text that the meet is cancelled. Turned around and drive 6 hours back...

My son is very disappointed. This was his last meet of the season. “sectionals”. It’s the “national” level meet for his age group. 

Thats a shame you didn't get to see your son's swimming :unsure:

Atlanta is a nice place to visit, (if it is the one in Georgia your talking about).

My son is in the West Virginia mountains at the moment with some friends in the Tennis team for a mid term break from Uni in Jackson Mississippi. We got an Email yesterday from the Uni to say that the break has been extended for a week, and anyone coming back to campus are to stay in their rooms only being allowed out to get food from the canteen. All lectures & lessons will be conducted on-line.

We are just hoping that this situation will have blown over enough by May so he at least can come back to Oz for the long summer break, but who knows on that one?

Living in a relatively small regional town, things seem to be fairly normal for us at the moment. I wouldn't even really know about the virus going about run of the mill life for now. I have just had a couple of weeks off work anyway mainly just pottering around the house fixing up stuff thats been neglected. But the  varnish is now dry on my new hobby bench so for a plan for isolation I've just received some hard pinions for the Wild One, and a generic 1060 ESC for the SRB now its run on Lipo. I am however also considering a trip out to the Lingerie shop just incase we go into lockdown to pick up the wife something nice to help pass the time ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Phone up and check before you go just to make sure your size is still in stock - panic buyers and all that

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

@Jonboy1, you from Belfast? I understand that happened to a kid from a local school here.

I've got a few plastic kits and a hopped up super clod to be built so I'll have plenty to keep me busy. That is as long as Mrs SCN and the mini-monster don't decide otherwise and we get a bit of decent weather so I can get all the outdoor junk that Mrs SCN tells me is vitally important out of my shed/paint studio so I can get airbrushing. 

In all seriousness tho I was in my local supermarket on Thursday and they had signs up saying that customers were limited to 4 large packets of toilet roll and 6 bottles of bleach. The sections for toilet roll, bleach and dried pasta were totally empty so as far as I can tell come the coronapocalypse people are going to be surviving on pasta with toilet paper in a bleach sauce. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

A few years ago, we got caught out by the heavy snow, and ran out of most things, so since then, none perishable items get stocked up (panic bought?), before the bad weather hits, so food and loo roll wise, we're good (Although on the look out for hand sanitiser, as my folks are in their 80's and would rather I look and send it them) 

My work won't shut down and send us home, historically, none essential staff will be sent home though,  (you know, the top brass and office pen pushers, with the big bonus's), so the only way I'll be getting time off , is if i actually catch it, and then (based on previous bouts of flu) I'll be in hospital anyway!!

My none working days ,we've spent indoors, and with not needing to goto any of the , germ factories, sorry,  supermarkets , we've spent it as a family, making Pringle tube rockets and baking Paw Patrol cup cakes, which has been brilliant.

Daddy got a half hour to himself too, and used the time to nail a set of Ultima Pro XL roll bars to my Ultima (found whilst I was having an eBay sell off/clear out) and also managed to fit a set of 3d printed shock protectors to the Optima Mid (so hopefully see some EOS track time 😁

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Supercoolnothing said:

coronapocalypse

Perfect word.

Staying busy seems to be the name of the game if this all heads towards the deep end.

Watanabe Clod really needs the lights wired.

I bought a new (used) lathe so hopefully the motor and vfd arrive soon.

Going to machine a new clod frame to hang all my spare parts from.

Honestly a couple weeks to catch up on life sounds amazing.

• Like 2

Mrs BC was concerned that she would have to go to Hobbycraft or The Range for some activities for el kid. I suggested we can finish rebuilding his Dual Hunter, I cut the back grass and we can have daily runs.

There is also ‘Mummy’s Monster Truck’ to build - an Agrios.

Aside from that, I have plenty (I mean loads) of unfinished projects I can work on once work dries up and I go on unpaid leave (I can see this happening if it gets really bad).

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 8:12 PM, Supercoolnothing said:

I've got a few plastic kits and a hopped up super clod to be built so I'll have plenty to keep me busy. That is as long as Mrs SCN and the mini-monster don't decide otherwise and we get a bit of decent weather so I can get all the outdoor junk that Mrs SCN tells me is vitally important out of my shed/paint studio so I can get airbrushing. 

In all seriousness tho I was in my local supermarket on Thursday and they had signs up saying that customers were limited to 4 large packets of toilet roll and 6 bottles of bleach. The sections for toilet roll, bleach and dried pasta were totally empty so as far as I can tell come the coronapocalypse people are going to be surviving on pasta with toilet paper in a bleach sauce. 

Went Asda today and they have limited it to 2 bottles of bleach per customer. The shelves were still empty.

How about a certain President who was trying to bribe a German vaccine company.

To get the vaccine exclusively for his gain, sorry country.

• Haha 1

Can you imagine if we actually had to go to war (OMG in my wildest nightmares we don't) all the offending opposition would have to put on social media is shortages in the super markets and sit back while we fight amongst each other! I hate using this word but its "pathetic" and the less stable and let's say disingenuous countries in the world will be watching all this hysteria going on and probably banking it for the future! And I'm witnessing first hand experience of big companies that are telling employees that this could be the braking of them in a matter of weeks if not sooner! This is just total madness 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, waterbok said:

How about a certain President who was trying to bribe a German vaccine company.

To get the vaccine exclusively for his gain, sorry country.

You mean the incompetent compulsive liar one with a fake tan?  He's an embarrassment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, 78Triumph said:

He's an embarrassment.

I'm impressed at how reserved you were. I had a much longer string of expletives in mind...and that was before all this virus mess. 

Yep, that's right folks, our country elected a game show host to be president (though not by popular vote).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I'm impressed at how reserved you were. I had a much longer string of expletives in mind...and that was before all this virus mess. 

Yep, that's right folks, our country elected a game show host to be president (though not by popular vote).

He's dangerous.  I'm very uneasy about all of this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, 78Triumph said:

He's dangerous.  I'm very uneasy about all of this. 

My sentiments exactly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can I ask one thing?  Can we please keep the toxic world of politics out of here?  This was one of the last places I could go for an escape from the constant negativity. 

Peace, love, rainbows, and unicorns. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I've been running as many cars as possible to make sure everything's ready for the 'Coronapocalypse.'

I'm thinking of ordering some new drive-cups for the 'wheelie' models, but I can always steal from one car for another. I'm also thinking the Konghead will finally get the clear chassis and colourful gears.

• Thanks 2

100% this is all down to social media obsession and "the media" in general.

Think about it - if this virus had been allowed to slide under the radar what would've happened? Yes, people would have died and that would be tragic - but it would've been put down to seasonal flu and underlying issues. There would have been no mass hysteria, no shutting of countries, shops, lockdowns, panic buying, market crashes, job losses. It would've run it's natural course and life would've continued as normal.

To put this in some perspective, 1.5 million people died of tuberculosis in 2018. Did this cause any lockdowns or panic buying of toilet paper?

I'm off to buy a few cans of paint to work on the bodies I'm expecting to be absorbed in for the next few weeks, will turn off the radio and tv and listen to nice calming progressive metal ;)

• Like 5