c64orinoco

Apocalypse preparation

41 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

100% this is all down to social media obsession and "the media" in general.

Think about it - if this virus had been allowed to slide under the radar what would've happened? Yes, people would have died and that would be tragic - but it would've been put down to seasonal flu and underlying issues. There would have been no mass hysteria, no shutting of countries, shops, lockdowns, panic buying, market crashes, job losses. It would've run it's natural course and life would've continued as normal.

To put this in some perspective, 1.5 million people died of tuberculosis in 2018. Did this cause any lockdowns or panic buying of toilet paper?

I'm off to buy a few cans of paint to work on the bodies I'm expecting to be absorbed in for the next few weeks, will turn off the radio and tv and listen to nice calming progressive metal ;)

Well said! I was watching that piers Morgan getting totally hysterical this morning to the extent I had to switch it over to the discovery channel.......much better!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

@jonboy1 Oceansize? The only prog metal I can think of, off the top of my head...

Oooh no , not tried them. Will give that a listen.

I'm currently listening to Heart of a Cowards new album, "the Disconnect" which I must say is splendid, then have Peripherys "Hail Stan" lined up

I've realised that I'll probably not get any downtime at all.  I am fully equipped to work from home, and my company will probably not shut down unless financial pressure dictates.  If the local daycare is closed then I'll have to use my holiday allowance to look after my daughter.  I managed to do some kit building a year ago while she was playing around on the carpet, but she's at a more demanding age now and wants my full attention all the time.

My only hope of having actual time off is if I actually contract the virus bad enough to not have to work.  Seeing as the severity has been reclassified from "if it doesn't kill you you'll wish it did" to "most people will only have mild symptoms" I think this unlikely; at least, if I do have any time off, I'll probably feel too bad to actually do any building.  Since I tend not to take any time off unless I feel pretty gosh darned rough anyway, if I don't take time off work I'll probably feel too exhausted to do any of my usual evening work either.

On a side-note, personally I'm waiting for the hysteria to die down enough that we can all get on with our lives (with maybe a little more caution and handwashing) and not be constantly bombarded with negativity from everywhere.  This weekend I met some fellow TC members at a Tamiya Junkies bash; initially everybody seemed cautious, making light of elbow bumps and maintaining distance.  We were lampshading our typical British springtime sniffles and reassuring each other that the infrequent cough was nothing to worry about.  A couple of hours in and we were all having a good time, picking up each other's cars and letting loose.  I hope we as a society get back to the same pretty soon.  That's not to say we should be incautious - we should just stop thinking of other people as potential infection vectors or usurpers of bogroll freedom and start thinking of them as rational human beings.  My experience is that other people tend to behave more like rational people if they are treated as such :) 

• Like 3

A coworker shared this with me this morning.  Food for thought.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Our company of 100,000 people will soon officially adopt a work-from-home / social distancing policy.  This morning I noticed the parking lot has about 1/3 the normal number of cars in it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

Oooh no , not tried them. Will give that a listen.

I'm currently listening to Heart of a Cowards new album, "the Disconnect" which I must say is splendid, then have Peripherys "Hail Stan" lined up

I've just realised how out of date I am...

• Haha 1

My knowledge of the language is not perfect.  I may have misunderstood the meaning of some of the speeches here.

The experience we are having here in northern italy is this: it is not a normal flu. The hardest hit people need to be assisted for breathing and the places equipped in the hospital, in the resuscitation rooms, are limited. A normal flu does not lead to these health consequences. It is not "social talk", it is the reality that we are living. Limit contagions to give those who are ill a chance. Stockpiling food doesn't make sense, it's not necessary. Instead, it makes sense to limit the opportunities for the spread of the contagion. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Laptop work from home

Yoga & cooking  quality time with my wife.

Crazy golf & movies quality time with my kids

Complete my Lunchbox

Do a few little jobs around the house

Watch Luther on Netflicks

Pack up and send a couple of projects out to TC members 😉

Maybe if time allows finish The WW2

• Like 3

3 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

A coworker shared this with me this morning.  Food for thought.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Our company of 100,000 people will soon officially adopt a work-from-home / social distancing policy.  This morning I noticed the parking lot has about 1/3 the normal number of cars in it.

I started reading that link but found myself just getting panicky so I stopped.  I have anxiety issues as it is. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

while at work yesterday my wife had a woman come to her till to be served and she promtly come out and said to her i have to hurry as i have just been told ive got the corona virus:o and my wife was just stunned that this person would and did put every ones life at risk by comeing out to get a few things.

no i am worried as i do already have the underlying issues that finish you off if you get the virus and i am hopeing my wife done bring it back from work due to these people that dont stay at home and self isolate as they are told to. 

from this one person yesterday think how many she could have infected with the virus it just begs belief it really does 

know like most of us on here still have parents and my mother is nearly 80 and if she gets it she is not gonna survive and i have to get her shopping for her and visit her so if my wife gives it me i could pass it onto my mother with out knowing it until its to late.

it really ticks me off that people dont stop traveling and stay put.

then today my wife rings me and tell me that the local tesco and farmfoods has stutt its doors and their is notheing left on the shelves and cant get stock in .

boy.... 2 weeks in and the country is starting to fall apart i dread to think what its gonna be like in another 2 weeks

• Sad 2

Well my school's now closed and things are starting to ramp up pretty quick. Starbucks and apple stores are closed. I went to target the other day and all the toilet paper and paper towels were bought out as well as the hand soap. Its pretty crazy really. I hope everyone stays safe out there and keep level headed. 

Everyone just needs to stick together (but not too close) and work things out. If we all work together it would help things out immensely instead of just buying 100 rolls of bum wipes each. 

The economic effects are just devastating I know we should focus on to protect the vulnerable because of this virus but seeing the markets fall sucks. 

• Like 2

On a positive note (personally) the pain in the @#$! Road works that has been going on for months on my way to work.....well when I say "works" I mean a load of guys with white hard hats on and clip boards staring at holes in the road which they dug looking at them as though they don't know how they have appeared:wacko: and further up a lorry with flashing lights on the back with another load of guys in said lorry (notice now I don't mention workers) eating pizza and staring at their phones!!! anyway since Friday no traffic backing up so got to work at a reasonable time.......happy days!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

Laptop work from home

Yoga & cooking  quality time with my wife.

Crazy golf & movies quality time my kids

Complete my Lunchbox

Do a few little jobs around the house

Watch Luther on Netflicks

Pack up and send a couple of projects out to TC members 😉

Maybe if time allows finish The WW2

Wish I could

Self employed! 

No money 

No mortgage payments 

No council tax payments 

Over draft entered

Fridge warmed by a couple of degrees 

Beer not as cold as I would like!! 

Things are looking pretty grim

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, mastino said:

My knowledge of the language is not perfect.  I may have misunderstood the meaning of some of the speeches here.

The experience we are having here in northern italy is this: it is not a normal flu. The hardest hit people need to be assisted for breathing and the places equipped in the hospital, in the resuscitation rooms, are limited. A normal flu does not lead to these health consequences. It is not "social talk", it is the reality that we are living. Limit contagions to give those who are ill a chance. Stockpiling food doesn't make sense, it's not necessary. Instead, it makes sense to limit the opportunities for the spread of the contagion. 

This is the reality check some people need - this virus WILL kill people, and the panic in the media is partly warranted. I think the most sensible and measured commentary on this has been provided by John Oliver - may I suggest heading to YouTube and searching "John Oliver Coronavirus."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, svenb said:

Wish I could

Self employed! 

No money 

No mortgage payments 

No council tax payments 

Over draft entered

I feel your pain, I too am self employed and this could go bad for me too. I thought it was, as some of my customers shut down last week, but it seems it'll only be temporarily. I also nearly hit the wall a couple of years ago, learnt some hard lessons and am better prepared to weather a downturn.

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

100% this is all down to social media obsession and "the media" in general.

Think about it - if this virus had been allowed to slide under the radar what would've happened? Yes, people would have died and that would be tragic - but it would've been put down to seasonal flu and underlying issues. There would have been no mass hysteria, no shutting of countries, shops, lockdowns, panic buying, market crashes, job losses. It would've run it's natural course and life would've continued as normal.

To put this in some perspective, 1.5 million people died of tuberculosis in 2018. Did this cause any lockdowns or panic buying of toilet paper?

I'm off to buy a few cans of paint to work on the bodies I'm expecting to be absorbed in for the next few weeks, will turn off the radio and tv and listen to nice calming progressive metal ;)

you are so dead on.

I find paint and any chemical plus nicotine combats any wildfire's smoke inhalation  and flu's and holds them at bay with extreme prejudice. 

auto accidents? people still drive, the whole darn thing is a flippn' joke, my George Carlin would have  had so much fun with this one.

WELCOME to PLANET EARTH: Please live at your own risk,

Daily breathing can sometimes cause death, some sudden movements or even profane language towards another fellow human being can cause injury and or death, not thinking what you are doing around heavy equipment can cause injury and or death, playing, walking, driving and even drinking, eating, and or any excessive behavior can cause injury or death. There is a  list that has many variables and warnings that seem to be almost endless, or take the short hand manual and it READS as follows "Common Sense",

seems it has been lost to some fellow Homo Sapiens as though we're stuck back now in the Middle Ages again, the only great difference is than we can plug stuff in and light stuff up.🤦‍♂️

UK government advise Social distancing & self isolation - they stole my modus operandi! :lol:

• Haha 6

Just to chime in from France.... when I see how people are reacting after 2 weeks the mind boggles how we ever managed to survive the second world War !!!!!! Stock pilling toilet paper .... what do they expect To do with it ???? Throw bog rolls at the virus ??? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, svenb said:

Wish I could

Self employed! 

No money 

No mortgage payments 

No council tax payments 

Over draft entered

That’s tough Sven.

I went self employed 2 years ago as well, it is not an easy path to riches that’s for sure. 

Hopefully we are just about to hit the worst of it and the virus passes quickly without leaving a trail of devastation. 

I going to hope for the best and prepare for the worst 😳

The impact on me so far as been limited, a show cancelled, a couple of the guys in my team have gone into self isolation and my wife expects our honeymoon to be cancelled as well, but it is coming a bit like the tide really. 

Few other nice things in the diary to hang onto but like most I gotta just take it day by day, the news and landscape is rapidly changing. 

1 hour ago, J@mes said:

UK government advise Social distancing & self isolation - they stole my modus operandi! :lol:

I've been a strong advocate of this for years! 

Now everyone suddenly want's to jump on the band wagon and claim it as their idea! :rolleyes::D

• Thanks 1

No work

Got into a bad accident a year or so already.

Keeping ends to meet.

Might end up selling some of the remote control toys to survive. 

On the bright side I still have lots of work to fix up the rc here.

Lunchbox, srb's, blackfoots to fix up...

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Cooltoys said:

No work

Got into a bad accident a year or so already.

Keeping ends to meet.

Might end up selling some of the remote control toys to survive. 

On the bright side I still have lots of work to fix up the rc here.

Lunchbox, srb's, blackfoots to fix up...

That's tough mate let's just hope it won't come to that my fingers are firmly crossed🤞over in the UK we are hoarding toilet roll and stealing hand sanitiser from cancer wards that's the direction the UK is going down!:(!

I'm terrified there will be a full shut down to be honest. I only earn a low wage, no savings etc.

I can't afford a week without pay let alone months.

I would be facing eviction within a month I think.

And I don't mean this as a dig by any means because I know people are just thinking about the welfare of their family and kids etc, but I'm seeing a lot of people who either are living on benefits or have paid their mortgage off and have savings or can work from home etc all DEMANDING a total shutdown seemingly oblivious to the fact that it could render millions of the lowest earners homeless. It's easier to demand that when you can make it a few months and still have a roof over your head when you come out the other side.

Plus, a lot of small companies would be unlikely to endure a long term shut down. My place of work is already seeing a huge knock on effect from travel agencies losing business.

It doesn't help that every day I see people getting hysterical and adopting mob mentality either hoarding essential supplies or stubbornly refusing to comply with government guidelines. And don't get me started on the old folk I have to listen to on the bus proudly declaring they will refuse to comply if they are asked to stay home.

I struggling to think about RC stuff at the moment apart from what I might be able to sell if it comes to it. But will anyone actually be buying!?!

I just can't believe how quickly I've allowed myself to become a nervous wreck and it's not helped buy all social media misinformation and scaremongering.

I'm hoping and praying that people will follow guidelines and help to flatten the curve of this thing enough that a full shutdown is avoided but as they say, a person is intelligent but people are dumb.

• Like 9

Sounds like we are going to tank the economy which is basically propped up by the service industry and then just give it a second wind at the end of summer / next year.

So after yesterday's update from our illustrious leader I have changed my plans somewhat - now choosing to work from home and cut social events until further notice.  I'm fortunate that I can do this, also fortunate to work for a big company that can hopefully weather the storm until the markets recover.  Right now I'm not too worried about that.  Going to take more walks in the countryside away from the busy areas to combat the feeling of isolation, and generally practice good hygiene.  I'm not worried about contracting it myself, I'm not in a high-risk group and neither is my immediate family, but contracting it would have a knock-on for lots of others (e.g. would have to inform my daughter's nursery and they would probably have to close, causing disruption around the local area).

My parents have agreed to be backup childcare if nursery needs to close.  They are both in reasonable health so not too worried for them.  Only real problem is if nursery closes and parents contract, in which case I will have to take time off work to be parent twice a week while my wife does her work (she is the only person at her company who can do what she does so can't take time off, but she only works 2 days so at least I can do 3 days work).  I can only be thankful that I'm in this situation, I know many aren't.

Anyhoo, I've decided to risk breaking into some rainy day money to order a bunch of things I need to finish off some projects.  I'm expecting some deliveries could take a while but I'm making a point of ordering from UK shops where possible, as I personally know some LHS owners who are going to struggle.

I had quite a lot of stuff on the calendar coming up - a vintage touring race weekend, a national scaler event and a local vintage buggy weekend, all within 4 weeks of each other.  Not sure if they will be cancelled but looking more and more likely.  It will be a shame as I was looking forward to them, but it gives me more time to focus on finishing projects and spending time with my family.  It was going to be a challenge to get ready for the events as well as rehearsing for a live music gig at the end of May.  It's possible the gig will be cancelled too so that's even less pressure.  It's a shame I can't use some of those spare weekends to take the family to the beach or go out somewhere, but at least being in a rural area we can go out walking without being exposed to lots of people.

I have suffered from anxiety and for the past week it has been sky high, I've not been sleeping and I've been worried about what the next few months will bring.  But today I'm feeling more positive, I'm arranging some morale-boosting online events at work so those of us who work remote can still keep in daily contact, talked with my wife about arranging some Safe Space Time in the workshop every weekend so we each get a chance to get a few hours apart.  Right now both of us are at work in the same office; pretty sure we'll be sick of each other after a few weeks :D

These are crazy times, craziest I've ever lived through, and will probably get a lot crazier before things get back to normal.  But I think they will get back to normal, at least for those of us who don't have underlying health issues.  I hope the economy doesn't take too long to get back on its feet, but we'll see.  Crazy times.

• Like 1