c64orinoco

Apocalypse preparation

1 hour ago, 78Triumph said:

The simpleton mindset of downplaying the entire spectrum of the virus' impact both on health and economy is in my opinion a huge setback to stopping it, if not the biggest.  How many times do the experts have to say this is serious and unprecedented before everyone takes it seriously??  It's absolutely mind boggling. 

All I've heard all day today from customers and the bin men and couriers etc is "all a big fuss over nothing" it's this kind of attitude that will lead to bigger disruption. People are dumb.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

All I've heard all day today from customers and the bin men and couriers etc is "all a big fuss over nothing" it's this kind of attitude that will lead to bigger disruption. People are dumb.

100 percent this! I do a little bit of carp fishing aswell. On a Facebook group there’s still loads of people proposing to go to France! Now! Saying will be fine il just sit and fish. It’s almost like people are in complete denial about how it all. Or have the intelligence of sponge ha!

• Like 2

I dont think its so much that or being in denial just that the way its reported doesnt make it seem to the average person in reasonable health that its anything to be concerned about. If people were catching it and spontaneously turning inside out in a spray of blood and pus then they might not want to go fishing. If you might not get any symptoms or the worse is a bit of a dry cough then you probably think life should carry on as normal.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Saito2 said:

In essence, we have no life and haven't for about 5 years or more. This means we have some extra money tucked away. You'd be surprised what people spend on eating out and general "shopping" not to mention car payments and other "latest and greatest" material possessions.

So true.  We've been skipping breakfast for about 2 years now.  That reduced quite a bit of groceries, time and few pennies too.  That's 700 meals saved a year by 2 of us.  But we ended up replacing 7 breakfasts + 1 dinner with 1 restaurant meal a week, so probably it's less of a penny saver.  And if we go to IKEA, we always pick up stuff we don't quite need. You bleed money that way.  When I'm itching to pick up useless stuff, I tried to think, "if I don't buy a junk like this 15 times, I can buy a Dynahead."  Not always successful, but it helps.  (my wife would say Dynahead is more of a junk than a desk lamp, but not to me. ...so selfish of me...) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The story continues...The owner had the manager take a pole on who theoretically would stay vs those who want to leave. Many wanted to leave until they discovered leaving wouldn't really be classified as a layoff and thus no unemployment assistance. So leave and starve or stay and potentially/eventually get ill. Not good considering over two thirds of our work force is over 60 and many with pre-existing conditions. Oh, and the owner won't be around for months, so we can stay and make him money while he's safe.

Meanwhile, back at the bench, my Bigwig's rear gearbox is assembled and I still love the smell of tires from a freshly open

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I still love the smell of tires from a freshly opened kit

So true. The smell of new RC tires (especially Tamiya) is one of those little pleasures of life.

Also, it lasts a long time. This is why I open the cabinet where some shelf queens are exposed almost everyday: to lean over and smell the tires. My wife must think I'm absolutely nuts. Sometimes I force her to smell them too :lol: so she politely fakes interest.

I would rank new tire smell along with other lil' pleasures that make life fun, such as:

-popping ALL the air balls in the pluriball wrapping plastic (the one dor packaging materials, you know what I mean)

-biting off the crunchy extremities of a freshly baked baguette

-the feeling of wearing brand new socks

-breaking the crust of a créme brulée

-opening a new Tamiya kit (well that's more than a little pleasure)

The list could go on! Sorry for the digression, guess this thread could use a little comic relief anyway

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Edited by Ferruz
Double post once again? don't know why it happens sorry

On 3/17/2020 at 4:27 PM, Busdriver said:

All building plans shelved. Mrs B’s knee op cancelled so I’m going to work instead of holiday. They are in the pommes frite for drivers

May change. Its so quiet that theres an overtime ban and no changes to duties rota etc so I might still be off. Looks like we will be running a Sunday service by the end of the week. Only needs 50% of buses/drivers. May have to run some early shuttles to stations etc as Sunday services dont start until 8am. I am 62 tomorrow and I have to say I have never seen anything like this in my life. WW2 rationing finished a few years before I was born. I might live to see it happen again. I do believe this is a serious warning to the world. We can be taken down by a microscopic bug. I thinks its the worlds way of trying to regroup, though Man keeps finding ways around it, for how long!!! Sorry if this seems pessimistic but you can only p**s the world off so often.

• Like 1

Its people livelihoods that are disappearing at a alarming level that really concerns me! Yes I know it's a virus without any vaccine to stop it (at the moment) and like what has been said many times the vulnerable is priority but it will pass and be eliminated and God hope with minimum casualties  but the financial implications will probably go on for many many years! I'm just hoping that I'm proved wrong on the financial part?.

• Like 3

To be honest this is what concerns me as much as the virus. Approx 80% of the UK gdp is from the retail/service industry. If you shut that down completely and put everyone on leave or temp redundancy in the hope that insurance will cover salaries and loss of earnings for an unknown period of time - I'm pretty sure insurance firms dont have the capital to pay out every policy holder at the same time. If they fold and the banks need to cover the shortfall then they will need buying out again as per the last recession. As there wont have been any tax income due to no one being at work or out spending any cash there wont be any funds to do this. How long before there are emergency tax laws and the government starts coming after private pensions and savings? 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Superluminal said:

I dont think its so much that or being in denial just that the way its reported doesnt make it seem to the average person in reasonable health that its anything to be concerned about. If people were catching it and spontaneously turning inside out in a spray of blood and pus then they might not want to go fishing. If you might not get any symptoms or the worse is a bit of a dry cough then you probably think life should carry on as normal.

I agree. The thing is, that by going they help spread the virus. It might not affect them, but it might harm others they come in contact with after. Self isolation is not about protecting the individual, they are likely to already be infected, hence why their in isolation, it protects everyone else. 

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

To be honest this is what concerns me as much as the virus. Approx 80% of the UK gdp is from the retail/service industry. If you shut that down completely and put everyone on leave or temp redundancy in the hope that insurance will cover salaries and loss of earnings for an unknown period of time - I'm pretty sure insurance firms dont have the capital to pay out every policy holder at the same time. If they fold and the banks need to cover the shortfall then they will need buying out again as per the last recession. As there wont have been any tax income due to no one being at work or out spending any cash there wont be any funds to do this. How long before there are emergency tax laws and the government starts coming after private pensions and savings? 

This is a very good point. How long can the federal reserve and governments inject fake money into the system to keep it afloat? If this virus lasts a year before a vaccine is made and the stock market keeps dropping will our savings and stocks vanish forever? Will banks go out of business?

13 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

The simpleton mindset of downplaying the entire spectrum of the virus' impact both on health and economy is in my opinion a huge setback to stopping it, if not the biggest.  How many times do the experts have to say this is serious and unprecedented before everyone takes it seriously??  It's absolutely mind boggling. 

Its OK I do completely understand the severity of the situation we are all facing at the moment. I consider myself very fortunate to be a in a commodity industry as 99.9% of my day working is on my own anyway, and when I do find myself in public(ish) environment I have to erect an exclusion zone around my work space. 

The company I work for has been working on and putting into place none essential face to face\contact supplying everyone with wipes & cleaning stuff to sanitise any shared areas/equipment before and after use among staff. The hour of day that I leave/return to work in a short distance also helps in that I very rarely come remotely close to anyone.

My wife runs our small business that isn't very busy with public incoming either under the circumstances.

18 months ago she had a close call with a near fatal kidney infection, that knocked us around a bit. Last week she had similar symptoms but turns out from some tests she now has an enlarged liver. Considering she doesn't drink, eats more salad than a rabbit doesn't sit down from getting up in the morning to going to bed lead the amazed doctor to believe the liver is an hereditary condition. After some further research, the liver could be the root cause of other conditions she's had. This on top of growing up in Zimbabwe through the war before independence, witnessing a long suffering father to the end of his fight with Motor Neurone Disease just after we were married, lost countless (as I have to) friends and relatives to cancers, drunk drivers, Suicide, unmetionalble atrocities since the last lot of trouble in Zim etc, etc. Everyday despite that her No1 concern is still what she can do for others. Especially for her 83yr old mother that lives with us now having lost everything back in her home country and is where she gets her selfless attitude from. 

This time last year I was unfortunately involved in a road traffic accident. 10.30 one morning everything was hunky dory as usual, 6.30 that evening I woke up in a Hospital 350kms from home. To wake up with your son looking at you who had just returned from overseas himself having been on the move for 36 hours, got a few hours sleep then drive slightly distressed  mother to my bedside was a sobering experience as to how things can change at the drop of a hat. Still to this day have no idea what happened. 2 Months later after a lot of support from family, friends and work I was cleared to go back. That knocked us around a bit too. As was my head a bit. The scar under my lip where my teeth went through is a constant reminder every time I look in the mirror.

Yeah so seeing people 'fight' over bog roll, meh.

I do sincerely apologise if my earlier post has been taken out of context of what was intended, as I have never been the greatest reader or writer ( always been more of a practical person ) and since last year hasn't improved it either. So please don't take anything I write as meant to be hurtful, irresponsible or pig headed in any way as that is the last thing on my mind to cause any offence to anybody on here or anywhere for that matter.

We are all, I believe' on a knife edge of uncertainty again through no fault of our own at the moment, with who knows whats to come and for how long. 

My Grandfolks philosophy was always, "If you ain't laughing', you'll only be cryin'."

Thats just how we keep going in our house, and now with some medication that my wife is on for her liver, she is even more exhausting to be around as it elevates her heart rate to help burn off the 'fatty' liver. So the current in-house joke at the moment is, "Has Mum had her Speed tab this morning??"

The way she's running around now she could probably set a new 100m sprint record.

All the best people. 

• Like 6

I begin working from home tomorrow and my wife was laid off today.  Schools are shut for 3 weeks in my area with hints of cancelling the rest of the year.  My hope is that people take the  local lockdown seriously and this virus can run its course with minimal damage.  My fear is this is 'merica and people hate being told what to do.  They only need to look to Italy to see what this virus can do at it's worst.  Say what you will about our national leadership (I don't have much good to say about either side) but at least they appear to be finally taking this seriously so I am actually encouraged by that. 

My hope for you all to stay safe.  

• Like 2

On 3/18/2020 at 9:19 AM, TurnipJF said:

Well since we are being open...

I too used to have anxiety issues, which these days are managed quite nicely with a prescribed pharmaceutical regimen. This means that on an emotional level I am coping pretty well, sleeping okay, etc. However anxiety is a perfectly rational response to a genuinely threatening situation, so on an intellectual level I can't help wondering if I am being irrationally calm due to my meds, and that I really ought to feel more worried than I am.

Thats pretty much me as well. it's taken 20 years but I think I've finally got a med regime that works; oddly it was precisely about when I got the right med mix that I got back into Tamiya cars; and interesting coincidence.

We don't have lockdown here in Australia (yet) but there are a lot of people working from home; at least 50% probably more in Sydney. It's very quiet in the city - like 27th December quiet. The city is actually livable now, with an easy commute due to no traffic, a seat on the bus or train. The busses and trains have even been cleaned (you can smell it) which I suspect is a first for most of them.

I'm an architect - it's surprisingly difficult to work remote, as high-spec CAD/BIM software just doesn't work well over Remote Desktop, and while I have a good PC at home, it's not the $10,000 CAD workstation I have at the office. We're actually getting plenty of work done too, as almost all meetings have been cancelled. It's amazing how much time they eat out of your day, and clearly for no good reason! Once the crisis is over I'm going to recommend we keep cancelling all the meetings - it improves productivity! We're unlikely to close down without a full lockdown being called - we do heaps of infrastructure which is a very strong sector at the moment. Metro tunnel boring machines dont stop for viruses!

All this means that I won't get the time to build cars for the time being; just a bit of time on the weekend so it will be much more drawn out. Which leaves more time for part orders...  and then there's these plans for a hand-launch glider that I had in the 90's that I'm suddenly thinking of building again.

• Like 4

Re-Bugged : wow that is an incredibly heart breaking story. You and your familly have my kindest regards and I really hope things will turn out ok for you guys. 

My dad who passed away 3 years ago age 96 and lived through the second world War in the Y division of the british army always used To say better To laugh than cry. So I always treat everything with humour. Which is very unnerving for some people. But it s just another way of coping.  So when I make jokes about people stocking bog roll it s not that I m downplaying the seriousness of the situation or that I don t believe how grave things are.... it s just that I m trying to see the humour behind the more obviously dark reality.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

So please don't take anything I write as meant to be hurtful, irresponsible or pig headed in any way as that is the last thing on my mind to cause any offence to anybody on here or anywhere for that matter.

I for one would not take it that way. Its probally important to remember for us all that this is a place to 'vent' amongst friends.

18 hours ago, Ferruz said:

So true. The smell of new RC tires (especially Tamiya) is one of those little pleasures of life.

Also, it lasts a long time. This is why I open the cabinet where some shelf queens are exposed almost everyday: to lean over and smell the tires. My wife must think I'm absolutely nuts. Sometimes I force her to smell them too :lol: so she politely fakes interest.

I would rank new tire smell along with 

I associate this with the smell of walking into a proper bicycle shop when I was a kid. Every time I smell Tamiya tyres, it takes me back to being a kid walking into that Raleigh shop with the overwhelming smell of tyre rubber.

• Like 3

It’s bizarre that all this all started (allegedly) from some illegal food market. I’m in a food market right now & it’s like armageddon, with a dose of misanthropy and a pinch of indifference. Apparently China are over the worst of it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, J@mes said:

armageddon, with a dose of misanthropy and a pinch of indifference.

Mmmmm - I can imagine the taste of it already

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Its OK I do completely understand the severity of the situation we are all facing at the moment. I consider myself very fortunate to be a in a commodity industry as 99.9% of my day working is on my own anyway, and when I do find myself in public(ish) environment I have to erect an exclusion zone around my work space. 

The company I work for has been working on and putting into place none essential face to face\contact supplying everyone with wipes & cleaning stuff to sanitise any shared areas/equipment before and after use among staff. The hour of day that I leave/return to work in a short distance also helps in that I very rarely come remotely close to anyone.

My wife runs our small business that isn't very busy with public incoming either under the circumstances.

18 months ago she had a close call with a near fatal kidney infection, that knocked us around a bit. Last week she had similar symptoms but turns out from some tests she now has an enlarged liver. Considering she doesn't drink, eats more salad than a rabbit doesn't sit down from getting up in the morning to going to bed lead the amazed doctor to believe the liver is an hereditary condition. After some further research, the liver could be the root cause of other conditions she's had. This on top of growing up in Zimbabwe through the war before independence, witnessing a long suffering father to the end of his fight with Motor Neurone Disease just after we were married, lost countless (as I have to) friends and relatives to cancers, drunk drivers, Suicide, unmetionalble atrocities since the last lot of trouble in Zim etc, etc. Everyday despite that her No1 concern is still what she can do for others. Especially for her 83yr old mother that lives with us now having lost everything back in her home country and is where she gets her selfless attitude from. 

This time last year I was unfortunately involved in a road traffic accident. 10.30 one morning everything was hunky dory as usual, 6.30 that evening I woke up in a Hospital 350kms from home. To wake up with your son looking at you who had just returned from overseas himself having been on the move for 36 hours, got a few hours sleep then drive slightly distressed  mother to my bedside was a sobering experience as to how things can change at the drop of a hat. Still to this day have no idea what happened. 2 Months later after a lot of support from family, friends and work I was cleared to go back. That knocked us around a bit too. As was my head a bit. The scar under my lip where my teeth went through is a constant reminder every time I look in the mirror.

Yeah so seeing people 'fight' over bog roll, meh.

I do sincerely apologise if my earlier post has been taken out of context of what was intended, as I have never been the greatest reader or writer ( always been more of a practical person ) and since last year hasn't improved it either. So please don't take anything I write as meant to be hurtful, irresponsible or pig headed in any way as that is the last thing on my mind to cause any offence to anybody on here or anywhere for that matter.

We are all, I believe' on a knife edge of uncertainty again through no fault of our own at the moment, with who knows whats to come and for how long. 

My Grandfolks philosophy was always, "If you ain't laughing', you'll only be cryin'."

Thats just how we keep going in our house, and now with some medication that my wife is on for her liver, she is even more exhausting to be around as it elevates her heart rate to help burn off the 'fatty' liver. So the current in-house joke at the moment is, "Has Mum had her Speed tab this morning??"

The way she's running around now she could probably set a new 100m sprint record.

All the best people. 

**** brother, I feel for you!  Keep on keeping on!

I'm talking about the simpleton mindset that I see in my country. 

• Thanks 1

The one thing I just can't wrap my head around...what the heck is a bog roll???? :)

• Haha 3

well it is getting worse every day my wife has know to be in work at the opening witch is 7am and until closeing and there are many many people waiting at that time to get what ever is on the shelf from the night delivery and i saw it for the for my self it was like a stamped when the door was open'd and i say it is gonna get worse with evrey new day.

and all she and her collegues are getting is customers moaning at then i wish i could stand by her when they do this i really do as i would prob cause a riot with these idiots.

i really cant thank all these people who are there in the front line at the moment they are really hero's and in my eyes deserve a bit thank you from the companys when this is over if that will happen. 

at least my mother who is 80 as had a few neighbours nock the door and ask her if she needs anything getting or doing but at the mo i have it covered  it does show there is a few good folk left out their.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 78Triumph said:

The one thing I just can't wrap my head around...what the heck is a bog roll???? :)

it is what us brits call toilet roll;)

or butt fodder is another word for it :lol:

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, topforcein said:

it is what us brits call toilet roll;)

or butt fodder is another word for it :lol:

lol, i thought it was food!

• Haha 5