c64orinoco

Apocalypse preparation

Just now, 78Triumph said:

lol, i thought it was food!

well it may come to that i a few weeks here as there has been no "bog roll" on the shelf for nearly a week :lol:

i may have to douse it in some kind of sauce first though:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We have some sick individuals in our society at the moment you should be able to report the moronic idiots!

Screenshot_20200319-225840_eBay.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, moffman said:

We have some sick individuals in our society at the moment you should be able to report the moronic idiots!

Ebay could stop it of course - if they wanted too. They make money off these sales after all. Ebay are just as bad as the hoarders in this regard.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 9:46 PM, Re-Bugged said:

she now has an enlarged liver

My mom had that. She wasn't drinking either.  

Except, she always had a basket of candies "for grand kids."  My brother lives near her, so I'd also bring candies for his kids for holidays and leave them at her place.  Unbeknownst to me, she'd kept 80% as tariff.  All the sugar made her liver work extra hard, as if she were drinking!  In case of her, it was an easy fix. (Or a hard fix to stop her sugar fix, depends on how you look at it) That was just my mom being silly.  It sounds like your wife's problem is not as easy to fix.  A hurt liver can really drain a person.  I hope she gets better.  

I was once hit by a car when I was 17.  I was on a bicycle crossing a street (I know, I should have gotten off the bike and walked across).  One way was jammed.  The other way was not. So, this guy decided to drive as fast as he could going the wrong way.  And I inconvenienced him by crossing the road.  One second I was going my merry way, the next I was on the pavement.  Yeah, it was weird to open your eyes and wonder why you are looking at tires of cars from the pavement.  A taxi driver next to me was yelling at the guy for almost killing me by shooting me up in the air some 10 feet. 

My bicycle looked like an impressionist sculpture, my left calf had a tight knot for 3 weeks, my shoulder hurt and I had a bump on my head.  My guess is that the bicycle took the impact. My left leg reacted by distancing my body from the force.  It could have been some somersault, but unfortunately I don't remember.  I landed on my left (leg) and shoulder. Lastly, my head bumped the pavement. (I always wear a helmet after that)  The driver bought me a new bike the next day, and that was enough then.  The way he was driving, he might have killed somebody after that.  He said I was second person he hit too. I hope I was the last.  

I worried about some damage to the gray stuff after rattling my head on the pavement.  But I figure I'm alright since I'm fasting several times a year now.  Apparently, if you fast for 2 days, the brain clears off bad connections and create more BDNF (Brain derived neurotrophic factor) to make new connections. (Muhammad Ali might have benefited from fasting) 

https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/19/12/4131

We drive everyday like it's nothing.  But we are moving 1 ton of metal, 60-70 miles an hour.  As much as we love cars, it's dangerous stuff.  At any rate, I'm glad you got out okay.  Many of us have been on here for years, it won't be the same without some members.  All the more reason why we should be careful about this Covid19 virus, too.  

Here is to our health! 

gdeqnCo.gif

• Like 6

Holy Dooly @Juggular :o, great your OK too now. These kind of events certainly become character building don't they.

My wife might have a bit of (as in 1 or 2 squares) but thats about all of chocolate now and again. We think what really triggered it was she had a taste for Beer Shandy for a couple of weeks in the relentless hot humid weather we had for a while. It was literally a taste as was made up of about an egg cup full of beer, lemonade, and lime sparkling water. Now in hind sight it has worked out for the better otherwise it would have gone undetected for much longer.

Cheers to you to my friend.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

I associate this with the smell of walking into a proper bicycle shop when I was a kid. Every time I smell Tamiya tyres, it takes me back to being a kid walking into that Raleigh shop with the overwhelming smell of tyre rubber.

I used to do a Saturday shift when I was at school at a local bike shop. Got paid Absoulte peanuts. But that smell. Made my day. I can’t help when I walk into a bike shop now still and giving the air a good sniff. My misses thinks I’m insane. 

5 hours ago, Juggular said:

We drive everyday like it's nothing.  But we are moving 1 ton of metal, 60-70 miles an hour.  As much as we love cars, it's dangerous stuff. 

Funny you mention that. After we had our daughter, we changed (as many do). I was deep deep into the hot rod car hobby for my whole life to the point it ran my life. Several factors came together to change that including our child. We attended a few car shows after we had her but something shifted in the way I looked at it. I was fairly careful though certainly messed around (occasional contest of speed, a burn out or two, etc,) with my hot rods like any car guy. At one such car show, which encompassed a whole town for 4 days, I saw some rather rash tomfoolery (we'll call it) and it hit me. If for a second, control was lost, they fellows could have killed quite a few pedestrians. Anytime I get the slightest urge, I just look up burn-out fails, etc. on youtube to remind me just quickly things can get out of control.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, moffman said:

Screenshot_20200319-225840_eBay.jpg

if that is on e-bay you can report them 

esp as their is a task force been set up to tackle robbing gits like the "little shops" that are doing it 

i know that at least one has been reported near me for doing it and his shop was empty of customers "but full shelfs" the other day when i went in their to try and get a bag of potatoes 

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 2:43 AM, c64orinoco said:

While everyone fights in the aisles for toilet paper (seriously - there have been fights in stores in Sydney), I'm putting together a list of the survival items I'll need for the inevitable 2-week work shutdown.

It's mostly spray paint I'll need to paint up to 5 bodies; two M07s, a Hornet, Comical Hornet and a Comical Frog. I'm hitting the LSH tomorrow to stock up; hopefully I won't have to fight anyone for spray cans! I think I'm ok for pretty much everything else.

I'm planning on heading out to some nice empty nearby ovals and parks to give the new cars a run.

You won't have to fight anyone for spray cans, but try finding a mask to stop breathing in the vapours for reasonable money.........

Hi all 

Little update from France.... I Got verbaliser by the police for driving my rc car !!!!!!!!!! 

It s a first for me I m very proud being a car fanatic and owning 7 cars I often get pulled over and fined but it had never happened to me with an rc car ! So in france you cannot drive your rc car down the empty road because it s not a valid reason To breech confinement even if as I pointed out to the police I was myself standing in my own garden only the car was outside ou property.... live and learn. 

• Haha 5

So no food or bog roll in the shops and as of now cant go out for dinner and use their facilities after.

Grand.

For what it’s worth my update is that having been told to work from home.

I thought great sneak in a bit of rc building in, this was a big fail. I think you end up over working when you’re on your own at home.

So now this has been extended for a month.

Okay so I might be able to get into a proper routine and get some rc work done.

But the icing on the cake was being asked to go down to a four day week, for the sake of the company.

Yes I’d like to come out of this with my job. But I’m now going to take a big hit on my salary losing 4 days worth of salary a month.

This is seriously going to affect my rc purchasing. Sorry that sounds really flippant. Any way I’m going to focus on finishing some projects and if my kids are still stuck at home as well, being a proper dad will be good.

Take care and best wishes to everyone.

Al

I think the key is trying to stay positive and spending your time and money wisely. 

Enjoy what you have and the people around you. 

Not always easy  in stressful times admittedly 😳 

• Like 3

I'm on my first day of working from home today. It's going OK - my internet connection isn't great, so the virtual desktop is a little laggy. But it's nice not getting interrupted by coworkers or phone calls every few minutes.

The only trouble is that my home office is also my hobby room. Lots of shiny cool distractions are just right there, behind me.

I'm resisting... for now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My last day was today. Two weeks off, no pay. I'm really not sure if there will be a company to go back to as my area's Covid cases are expected to really blossom next week. I've got to slow down and pace myself on this Bigwig but I might get back into drawing RC cars like I used to, to pass the time. That, plus reading and playing guitar are cheap entertainment. It will be weird for me with this much time off. I haven't had this much time off since my summer between 11th and 12th grade.

BTW, anybody have an idea for a toilet paper replacement? I mean, our cat does this trick on the carpet when he exits the litter box but its kinda gross (did I mention, I don't like our cat sometimes?). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

yeah, definitely can't waste time stressing. So for me, pretty much all my film work has dried up, and its looking to be that way for around 6 months. I do a bit of TV Ad work as well, so I'm hoping that will pick up quicker. I also have one other regular part time contract job, but if that company faces issues, I might be a luxury they can't afford. Still, while I am concerned, I am not worried, which I think comes from being in an industry that is very volatile. In film work, you never know when the work will dry up, and I've been a little prepped for that. Mrs Yogi-bear works in health and her roll is reasonably important, so I don't fear her losing her job.

But what will make it interesting for us is we moved out of our house 2 months ago so we could demolish and rebuild. That was meant to start mid-feb, but got delayed as the builder pulled out in a rather stupid and ranty email. They came back a month later to see if we'd still build with them, with no real explanation apart from the owner of the business had been a little stressed! Still, we've found another builder and we are in the process of re-designing the house to our pre-virus budget. My concern is if we go ahead and my work dries up for longer, it could put us in a lot of mortgage stress, or if we hold off, the builder either folds or materials and costs go way up.

We'll probably press ahead with the build so we can stop paying rent and a mortgage sooner rather than later and just have to see how things unfold. When I can't work, I'll have a heap more time for projects :D Currently going through all my TA01/TA02 and FF01 projects. Plus this could give me the time I need to properly learn AutoCAD Fusion 360. Ebay/buying is going to be pretty much off limits for quite awhile, probably good as the Aussie dollar has dropped to below 60US cents, so everything is going up. Low dollar is good for my line of work though, so I'm ok with that!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

I'm on my first day of working from home today. It's going OK - my internet connection isn't great, so the virtual desktop is a little laggy. But it's nice not getting interrupted by coworkers or phone calls every few minutes.

The only trouble is that my home office is also my hobby room. Lots of shiny cool distractions are just right there, behind me.

I'm resisting... for now.

Right there with you... ;)

Just got word today that 20,000 in my company will go on short-term layoff for 6 weeks.  Meanwhile I'm working from home and working around bad Skype audio quality for meetings.  But I agree, this has been a very productive week with few interruptions.

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

BTW, anybody have an idea for a toilet paper replacement? I mean, our cat does this trick on the carpet when he exits the litter box but its kinda gross (did I mention, I don't like our cat sometimes?). 

When I got drafted for the Dutch army,  ages ago, In training a Commandos guy explained what a versatile cool tool a spoon can be.....

• Haha 3

Something different, some sick idiots in Germany removed the bolts on a high-speed 300km/h railway track over a length of 80 meters just before a bridge.

Fortunately nothing serious happened.

As if this pandemic ain't enough.

• Confused 1

Just received this from Tamiya USA tonight:

To our valued customers:

The TAMIYA USA webstore will be closed beginning immediately and until further notice.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday evening announced he's enacting a "statewide order" for its nearly 40 million residents to "stay at home," a wide-reaching order for the most populous state in the country as the coronavirus spreads.

The order, taking effect Thursday night, prohibits gatherings outside and requires businesses that need employees to physically report to work to shut down.

This order affects Tamiya America’s Irvine, California office personnel and the outside logistics company warehouse staff located in Los Angeles.

It is imperative that we keep all staff safe. Our employees will remain at home until the order has been lifted. Furthermore, our Customer Service Department is available to answer email inquiries only at usa_support@tamiya.com for general products questions only.

We will be announcing the latest news regarding the re-opening of our CART system and all other functions via newsletter and the NEWS section in our website.

Be safe everyone. Be kind, enjoy the at home activities, and by all means share your Tamiya model and Radio Control projects on our Facebook and Instagram pages! We want to see how you’re passing the time.

Tamiya America, INC.

• Like 2

****...Tamiya store closed? How will we survive?

Seriously though, the Govt (govt's, state level too) down here aren't doing much, just dancing around the edges of the problem.
Probably won't do or force anything precipitate until forced to by numbers that may well be exponential.
I'm a teacher, with two fairly healthy but elderly parents, that I live with. Thankfully I'm in a self contained granny flat, that helps, but I'm wondering what I should do next.

Seriously now, everyone in here stay safe and well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

The TAMIYA USA webstore will be closed beginning immediately and until further notice.

Now is the time to panic!

• Haha 3

If the riots start I'll be down to the local hobby store in a ski mask.  I'll get caught because the PS paint cans will take several trips to clean out before I even get to the cars.  :ph34r:

I still can't get over how some people are behaving.  I guess it's natural for a good chunk of people to be overly worried and a small percentage to start doing stupid things.  I went to get a few things at the supermarket and the meat, canned goods and anything frozen were all cleaned out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The state of Illinois is shutting down non-essential businesses today.  I wouldn't order anything from Tower Hobbies or Horizon Hobbies at this point.  It also suggests things at other retailers will get thin as Hobbico/Great Planes/Tower Hobbies/Horizon are all one entity now.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, waterbok said:

Something different, some sick idiots in Germany removed the bolts on a high-speed 300km/h railway track over a length of 80 meters just before a bridge.

Fortunately nothing serious happened.

As if this pandemic ain't enough.

Death penalty for that

• Thanks 1