c64orinoco

Apocalypse preparation

Just had to see my cat off to the other side.

I can't even begin to describe how much I didn't need this right now.

Apart from when I have my daughter, I tend to be somewhat of a lone wolf and that little cat has been there ever since I moved to Wales 15 years ago and she has helped me through marriage break ups and all sorts of hard times with her unconditional love.

She's the only thing that has been a constant in my life since I moved here.

I can't think of a worse time that this could have happened.

• Sad 20

1 hour ago, nowinaminute said:

Apart from when I have my daughter, I tend to be somewhat of a lone wolf and that little cat has been there ever since I moved to Wales 15 years ago and she has helped me through marriage break ups and all sorts of hard times with her unconditional love.

Hang in there, brother.

• Like 2

Sorry for you mate, our cat passed away 3 weeks ago we had him for 12 years and it leaves a massive hole.  My kids were devastated.  I Feel for you. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Blista said:

If the riots start I'll be down to the local hobby store in a ski mask.  I'll get caught because the PS paint cans will take several trips to clean out before I even get to the cars.  :ph34r:

I still can't get over how some people are behaving.  I guess it's natural for a good chunk of people to be overly worried and a small percentage to start doing stupid things.  I went to get a few things at the supermarket and the meat, canned goods and anything frozen were all cleaned out.

Yeah we in the UK has had that for weeks now! People just emptying the shelves buying stuff which they really will never use then when all this rubbish is over it will all probably be binned! health workers turning up at the supermarkets after 15+ hour days at hospitals trying to keep these looser safe and no decent fresh food for them to have and this is the sick and really pathetic behaviour! Low life scum are even stealing hand sanitiser from cancer wards.........welcome to the UK!

• Like 3

So sorry to hear of your loss nowinaminute. I know exactly how you feel. I had a dog that that was essential in my getting through tough times, especially when my girlfriend of 7 years who I was about to propose to came home and announced she was leaving. If it wasn't for that dog, I might not be here. When things started to pick up and my life was about to change for the better, I had to choose between keeping my dog or moving in with my now wife. Her son is severely allergic. It was the hardest decision I have ever made, but I had to do what was best for me in the long run. I gave my dog back to my ex where she would be well looked after. I miss that dog all the time, but now I have an especially energetic pup who turns 2 this June. He's hypoallergenic so he passes muster.

Perhaps you can get another companion?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, moffman said:

Yeah we in the UK has had that for weeks now! People just emptying the shelves buying stuff which they really will never use then when all this rubbish is over it will all probably be binned! health workers turning up at the supermarkets after 15+ hour days at hospitals trying to keep these looser safe and no decent fresh food for them to have and this is the sick and really pathetic behaviour! Low life scum are even stealing hand sanitiser from cancer wards.........welcome to the UK!

Agreed. I'm heading out tomorrow morning to see if the early opening for NHS staff is any better (wifes a doctor). She has had people steal boxes of masks that the doctors use to stop themselves from catching it, because if that happens we are really f#@ked. 

2 hours ago, Hairyjon313 said:

Agreed. I'm heading out tomorrow morning to see if the early opening for NHS staff is any better (wifes a doctor). She has had people steal boxes of masks that the doctors use to stop themselves from catching it, because if that happens we are really f#@ked. 

Well well done your wife! The hair on the back of my neck stands up every time I think of our REAL heroes the likes of your good wife and all the rest of those selfless workers in the NHS!!! My late mum who passed away just over a year ago was a doctor so I know even without this rubbish at the moment it's an almost impossible task!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, moffman said:

Well well done your wife! The hair on the back of my neck stands up every time I think of our REAL heroes the likes of your good wife and all the rest of those selfless workers in the NHS!!! My late mum who passed away just over a year ago was a doctor so I know even without this rubbish at the moment it's an almost impossible task!

Thanks buddy, I will let her know. Not all heros were capes. 

7 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Worst timing indeed.  We lost our dog almost 4 years ago. But it still feels like it happened 4 months ago.  

Fearing the impact, we rescued even smaller guy a year prior. (of course, we didn't know the expiration date then)  We have 2 neighbors who say they'll never have another pet because losing them was so hard.  But we still talk about how much harder it would have been without the extra helping paws.  You've got an empty spot in your heart. There might be a cat out there that needs a home. Might as well let in another cat?  People with pets tend to live longer and happier too.  

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Hairyjon313 said:

Update .... there was a queue of about 150 people waiting to get into the shop !!! So didn't bother. Madness. 

6 hours ago, Hairyjon313 said:

Update .... there was a queue of about 150 people waiting to get into the shop !!! So didn't bother. Madness. 

Can I just say I went to my local Asda today and like you say queuing around the carpark and I too thought OMG I'm not going to bother police at the door etc etc but when I was sitting looking at the madness I noticed it wasn't a queue as in the sense waiting so I joined the end of it and honestly it took me a matter of minutes to get into the shop and it was not exactly full to the brim of food but it was the best I've seen for the last two weeks plenty of bog roll fruit & veg practically normal etc etc! So just stick with it mate👍

On 3/22/2020 at 7:45 AM, Juggular said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Worst timing indeed.  We lost our dog almost 4 years ago. But it still feels like it happened 4 months ago.  

Fearing the impact, we rescued even smaller guy a year prior. (of course, we didn't know the expiration date then)  We have 2 neighbors who say they'll never have another pet because losing them was so hard.  But we still talk about how much harder it would have been without the extra helping paws.  You've got an empty spot in your heart. There might be a cat out there that needs a home. Might as well let in another cat?  People with pets tend to live longer and happier too.  

On 3/21/2020 at 11:36 PM, nowinaminute said:

It’s so often the case that the best pets you have are the the one’s that for some reason find you. 
Of all the pets we’ve had none of them were intentional, all have been special in their own way. Even Oscar the Japanese fighting fish that my wife swears to this day talked to her, and watching the pair of then I’m inclined to that it was true.

Just hang in there Nowinaminute, in time your next best friend will show up 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

New Zealand's government have just announced that in 48 hours the whole country will going into isolation for at least four weeks.  It's going to affect a lot of businesses and be hard on people but I'm glad it's happening.

I'm holding off from going to the local hobby shop and buying up just in case that money might come in handy elsewhere.  If everyone else could start doing some detailed build threads that I can vicariously live through I'd appreciate it.  ;)

• Like 4

On 3/21/2020 at 1:36 PM, nowinaminute said:

I'm so sorry for you my friend. Pets can be incredibly therapeutic and a source of love and comfort, and can therefore leave a big hole when they pass. I can appreciate it probably doesn't feel right to even think about getting another pet right now, and you need to mourn. But try and keep that option open in the back of your mind, we are programmed to love, and it does us good to express that, and of course, receive it too.

As the others have said, you may find that another little fella will come and find you (chances are higher I fear at this time with people probably thinking feeding an unwanted pet is not something they need to deal with right now) so try and keep your eyes open for a little lost soul in need of some love :)

Don't forget though, you have plenty of mates here who are happy to listen :) 

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind wishes guys.

Last night was really tough, just realising what a massive hole the cat has left. I'm quite introverted but thanks to her, I was never truly alone.

Now I miss every little thing, even anticipating her behaviour like following me every time I go to the kitchen and always jumping on my lap every time I sat down, hindering my attempts to eat or use my laptop. All those little things are very noticeable by their absence.

On top of that, my 8yo daughter is absolutely devastated and I just can't say it do what she wants to make it all better. 

I'm feeling very conflicted and guilty about the decision too. It was "only" an abscess on her face but this is the 6th time it's happened now and the gaps between them seem to get getting smaller. Vets have been unable to find any real underlying cause. She was also recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism which would have been expensive (to me) to treat and they said there was no reason to expect the abscesses to stop even if she had the thyroid meds. The thyroidism has caused several things such as increased heart rate, weight loss despite a healthy appetite, reduced muscle mass etc.

She has also had a chronic respiratory infection in the past which leaves her prone to prolonged sneezing fits.

But despite all that, she was content in herself and still alert and busy. I could have had the abscess treated and it would have been fine in a week and she would have been herself. Maybe she had a few more years to give? But I know at the very least those years would have been punctuated with more abscesses which is hard on her and definitely, from a financial and anxiety point of view, it was becoming quite devastating to me. I have pet insurance but it barely touched the bills for the abscesses because of the hefty excess and even after that they only pay 80%. Most of the time I was unable to claim on it at all and £100-150 bills for treatments and blood tests and this and that starts to become a struggle after a while.

I think I did the right thing when all the factors were considered but I still struggle with the the decision because I know she could still be here and be relatively content. I just had a gut feeling this time that it was the right time. I know eventually her age and various ailments will begin to converge and I don't want her to suffer. I guess the problem is to prevent suffering, you have to take action before it's there.

Anyway, I'm going to stop now because I could talk about it forever.

But thanks for the kind responses guys.

And I think when the dust settles, I will certainly adopt another cat. And of course if I see a lost soul wandering around I will open my door!

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

10 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

It’s so often the case that the best pets you have are the the one’s that for some reason find you. 
Of all the pets we’ve had none of them were intentional, all have been special in their own way. Even Oscar the Japanese fighting fish that my wife swears to this day talked to her, and watching the pair of then I’m inclined to that it was true.

Just hang in there Nowinaminute, in time your next best friend will show up 👍🏻

Funny thing is, Suki chose us in a way. We went to an animal shelter but looking for a specific cat we had seen on their website. Little Suki, barely 12 weeks old, kept jumping on my knee every time I was crouched down looking at the cat we had come to see. Every time she jumped up she made a funny little noise like a little elephant crossed with Marge Simpson. I kept putting her down and she would jump up again. After the 3rd time I knew it was meant to be!

Her first day at home and her last day on earth 😥

0QLzguC.jpg
PbvkFr2.jpg

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

Thanks for the kind wishes guys.

Last night was really tough, just realising what a massive hole the cat has left. I'm quite introverted but thanks to her, I was never truly alone.

Now I miss every little thing, even anticipating her behaviour like following me every time I go to the kitchen and always jumping on my lap every time I sat down, hindering my attempts to eat or use my laptop. All those little things are very noticeable by their absence.

On top of that, my 8yo daughter is absolutely devastated and I just can't say it do what she wants to make it all better. 

I'm feeling very conflicted and guilty about the decision too. It was "only" an abscess on her face but this is the 6th time it's happened now and the gaps between them seem to get getting smaller. Vets have been unable to find any real underlying cause. She was also recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism which would have been expensive (to me) to treat and they said there was no reason to expect the abscesses to stop even if she had the thyroid meds. The thyroidism has caused several things such as increased heart rate, weight loss despite a healthy appetite, reduced muscle mass etc.

She has also had a chronic respiratory infection in the past which leaves her prone to prolonged sneezing fits.

But despite all that, she was content in herself and still alert and busy. I could have had the abscess treated and it would have been fine in a week and she would have been herself. Maybe she had a few more years to give? But I know at the very least those years would have been punctuated with more abscesses which is hard on her and definitely, from a financial and anxiety point of view, it was becoming quite devastating to me. I have pet insurance but it barely touched the bills for the abscesses because of the hefty excess and even after that they only pay 80%. Most of the time I was unable to claim on it at all and £100-150 bills for treatments and blood tests and this and that starts to become a struggle after a while.

I think I did the right thing when all the factors were considered but I still struggle with the the decision because I know she could still be here and be relatively content. I just had a gut feeling this time that it was the right time. I know eventually her age and various ailments will begin to converge and I don't want her to suffer. I guess the problem is to prevent suffering, you have to take action before it's there.

Anyway, I'm going to stop now because I could talk about it forever.

But thanks for the kind responses guys.

And I think when the dust settles, I will certainly adopt another cat. And of course if I see a lost soul wandering around I will open my door!

Don't second guess your decision and feel guilty.  You did what was best.  Hang in there!

• Like 2

On 3/19/2020 at 11:01 PM, moffman said:

We have some sick individuals in our society at the moment you should be able to report the moronic idiots!

Screenshot_20200319-225840_eBay.jpg

Just a heads up, this is one of the ebay sellers profiteering with the toilet paper etc...

Screenshot_20200323-150956_eBay.thumb.jpg.8c219a0a8922c64dffb4353818dece6f.jpg

4 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

Just a heads up, this is one of the ebay sellers profiteering with the toilet paper etc...

Oh (stream of expletives) I've literally just ordered parts for my Clod build from that seller. If I'd seen that before there's no way on this earth would they have been getting any of my money. 

Well, we just got the stay-at-home order... I went into the office today to pick up a bunch of files, so I can work from home. Still waiting to hear exactly how it's all going to work from my boss, but it sounds like I can avoid going into the office for at least a couple of weeks. Our hours are cut back, but at least we'll still have some income.

I'm formulating a list of projects in my head that I can do with only what I have on hand... it's actually a pretty long list. After I'm done with work for the day, I'll probably write it all down. Got a couple of interesting ideas cooking...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

One for my personal blacklist then...

On 3/21/2020 at 5:43 PM, lucasan said:

So sorry to hear of your loss nowinaminute. I know exactly how you feel. I had a dog that that was essential in my getting through tough times, especially when my girlfriend of 7 years who I was about to propose to came home and announced she was leaving. If it wasn't for that dog, I might not be here. When things started to pick up and my life was about to change for the better, I had to choose between keeping my dog or moving in with my now wife. Her son is severely allergic. It was the hardest decision I have ever made, but I had to do what was best for me in the long run. I gave my dog back to my ex where she would be well looked after. I miss that dog all the time, but now I have an especially energetic pup who turns 2 this June. He's hypoallergenic so he passes muster.

Perhaps you can get another companion?

Have lost a few dogs over the years. Grown men do cry buckets. When we lost our black Cocker somebody sent me a version of this:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

:) Stay safe

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1