c64orinoco

Apocalypse preparation

21 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

For you guys in Oz, stay safe!

49704137718_fcccf0fca9_b.jpgmaxresdefault by Joe, on Flickr

i recon we should all go on our door steps and shout " i'm am the nighrider ....i'm a fuel injected suiside machine" :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've now been furloughed from work. Have to try and scrape by on 80% now which won't be easy as it's tight with 100%. Preferable to 0% though! I just hope to god there's a business left to go back to when restrictions are lifted.

This event has at least made things a little more straightforward. I was facing a true nightmare trying to get my kid to school (ex is an NHS worker so the kid would have got a special school spot) and get to work with buses reduced to a Sunday service. I didn't want to take the kid on the bus as it was but now there's only a bus every 2 hours so they are crowded with the first one leaving at 9AM! The kid would start school at 9AM, I start work at 9AM! I don't know what the bus company were thinking tbh. It's for those reasons that being off work is actually a blessing for now!

So the situation with the kid is much better now (despite nearly losing my poo every time I attempt home schooling) and I have short term financial...I wouldn't say security but one step above living in a cardboard box at least. The cat thing is still raw but helped by having my daughter here a lot.

So for the first time in weeks, my brain actually downgraded to defcon 2 and I felt like I may be able to actually enjoy some hobby stuff.

But hang on mate, put that on hold! The landlady wants to know if someone can come and do an energy efficiency rating on the house because they are thinking of selling! What on earth are they thinking? The timing is terrible as it is but the market is effectively on hold anyway! So on top of everything else, even if I go back to my job and things go back to being relatively normal in a few weeks/months, I now know that I'm looking at being turfed out of my house, an event for which I will have absolutely zero budget to undertake! Plus to be quite honest, the house is a state at the moment and I don't like the idea of a stranger roaming around every room with a tape measure, especially as they said I would have to vacate for 30 mins to maintain social distancing!

I've lived here approx 13 year now and never had a cross word with them but the only response I could give to their message was "You must be joking?" I haven't heard back from them yet.

I really wish I could just get my breath back for 5 minutes and not be stressing about something!

• Like 1

Oh and PS:

Big thanks to the member who donated a years TC subscription to me! Not sure if you wanted to be named so I'll leave that to you but thanks a lot! I appreciate the thought very much!

• Like 5

Condoms, 2 bucket water filter system, trip wire with shotgun primers, N95 or better masks, rubber gloves,  battery operated motion sensors, ammo and good flashlights, food for 5 months, bleach, laundry detergent, bars of soap, lamp oil and lamp, jackery 1000 and solar panels, herloom seeds, chicken tractor and chickens, american flag, Start calling neighbors and asking how they are doing and if they need any help, 5 or more tamiya kits and comfortable chair, dirt bike and gas, bug out bag, enough meds for 5 months, bidet, a trauma room with oxygen and ventilator in undisclosed area, dry place to bury food and essential items, night vision, solid routine, wood pellets and efficient mini stove, tarps, secure job, long range portable ham radio, noaa crank radio, batteries, canning jars, greenhouse, small airplane and homestead in case your current place is overrun. cash and good items for barter.

10%-30% unemployment for an extended time is not inconceivable. I think we have the opportunity to come out the other side stronger, but the egos need to back a seat and decisions need not be made out of fear alone. We need leaders to offer a bit of hope while at the same time giving us hard truths and direction....it's too bad we elect these leaders based off likability or some other surface notions as that doesn't always make for a good leader who makes balanced decisions. 

Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, weak men create hard times. It's not the strong men you need to worry about it's the weak ones as they'll do anything to protect that fragile ego. We are currently in a weak human phase and at some point the pendulum will swing after much suffering and around and around we go through the centuries.  

• Like 5

On 4/2/2020 at 2:57 PM, nowinaminute said:

only response I could give to their message was "You must be joking?" I haven't heard back from them yet.

We where trying to get our house on the market just before the virus landed (waited on the better weather to get window frames etc painted....  🤦‍♂️) , now have zero chance of getting anyone out, we've tried, all the lawyers are shut too, so even a sale wouldn't happen.

I think the government has pretty much said that it ain't happening, so probably the best reply 👍

I've gave my tenants first refusal and they bought it.

On 4/2/2020 at 2:58 PM, nowinaminute said:

Big thanks to the member who donated a years TC subscription to me!

Superb 👏

Stuck in the house for like 3 weeks now.  I haven't seen anybody in person for weeks, which suits me just fine.  

Today, I discovered this...  

SuiwBkS.jpg

Somebody has been using it the wrong way. 

There were 2 suspects. 

But this guy only has paws.

flZn7Nh.jpg

Which concludes that my wife is the culprit.  I've been doing the laundry most of our lives.  But the dog decided to wipe his butt on the bed sheet twice in one day.  While I was kneading the dough, she did an emergency laundry.  

2B6BgsZ.jpg

For 20 years, I had no idea she didn't know how to use the press nozzle!  (I should've known... She doesn't know how to turn on the high beam, nor fog lamps. And she's been driving the same Subaru for 16 years...)

All kinds of things you discover while you are stuck in the house.  

Since we only drove few miles for the past 3 weeks, I'm charging the car battery with this.  This was from an old modem (12v, 1.5A).  It's about 20 feet, just long enough to reach the car.  Charging 24 hours every 2-3 weeks should be enough.  ...or would that be overcharging?  

TOQ3dOj.jpg

• Like 2

it's nice to see used masks and gloves in the parking lots that i've seen of late, Fargin People! i'm surrounded by Village Idiots!:lol:

well at least they feel secure?

5 hours ago, Juggular said:

I haven't seen anybody in person for weeks, which suits me just fine.  

Yeah, this 2 weeks I just took unpaid (boy, am I worried to go back to work when the US experts are saying this will be the worst of times coming up, ulp!) really weren't any different for me than a usual weekend. Avoid people at all cost? What's wrong with that?;) 

5 hours ago, Juggular said:

But the dog decided to wipe his butt on the bed sheet twice in one day. 

Ah yes. Nice isn't it? We just lost a cat at 19 years old. It was a cranky cat that would occasionally "mark his territory" while we slept. The carpet in the basement was quite ruined. When he passed, that was not something to be missed. But...the new medication my wife's other cat is taking leads to issues which in turn leads to butt wiping...I cannot win. At least he's not bright enough to understand the advantages of carpet so 50% he does it on the linoleum. Easy clean up!

• Haha 1

I really wanted to get a Tamiya kit and have that build feeling while I was in lockdown but losing one job and being shut down in another has put pay to that!

I have about a week of work left at home and after that I’m going full time NHS volunteer responder/helper (which I’ve been part time on)

First thing that came to mind when this thought of lockdown started was RC cars!  It’s amazing how many others have thought the same.  I see modelsport are saying their internet sales are very busy.

I find if you look enough, do lots of research and if you watch enough vids and look at enough ads you can get it out your system & almost feel like you’ve owned something haha.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, jameswrx said:

I have about a week of work left at home and after that I’m going full time NHS volunteer responder/helper (which I’ve been part time on)

First thing that came to mind when this thought of lockdown started was RC cars!  It’s amazing how many others have thought the same.  I see modelsport are saying their internet sales are very busy.

I find if you look enough, do lots of research and if you watch enough vids and look at enough ads you can get it out your system & almost feel like you’ve owned something haha.

Well done that man 👍🏻, stay safe out there.

Shops seem to be shifting a fair bit of stock down under too, which is great for them, hopefully they will be able to weather this storm.

When you  become a Subscriber on the main site, you can add other people’s models to your favourites in your own showroom and has the same effect 😁

Rebuilt my sons Top Force with new gear boxes, chassis, bearings plus a suspension rebuild.

My Egress is a bit tired so he'll probably beat me on our home built garden track, he's only 5 so it's a bit embarrassing. 

• Like 1

Work is starting to slow down for me now, pretty much as I anticipated to be fair and by the end of next week it’ll be tumble weed in my office. 

However 9am-6pm with no travelling is a joy, with 1 designated job around the house and then an evening, a real novelty for now.

Progressively setting different things up for the kids to do, stretching it out.

I reckon next week, exercising will almost certainly start and some Tamiya.   

Kidda work, wife/kids, house, then me. 

Interesting - with more and more of our business starting to come in via online channels, I will probably be called back into the lab at some point over the next week or two. Possibly just as well - I am running out of projects!

6 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Interesting - with more and more of our business starting to come in via online channels, I will probably be called back into the lab at some point over the next week or two. Possibly just as well - I am running out of projects!

If you do run out of projects and you would like one of mine, then don’t hesitate to let me know 👍

• Thanks 1

i read a artical online from the telegraph newspaper that people in korea that had the virus and recovered from it have been tested positive for it again  so that is not good news 

not that their ever is with this virus 

just when we thought it was getting beaten 

Does it say in the article that they are having adverse symtoms or are ill from it again or just that they test positive for carrying it?

2 hours ago, topforcein said:

i read a artical online from the telegraph newspaper that people in korea that had the virus and recovered from it have been tested positive for it again  so that is not good news 

not that their ever is with this virus 

just when we thought it was getting beaten 

It may well be a false positive in the first or second test.

23 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Does it say in the article that they are having adverse symtoms or are ill from it again or just that they test positive for carrying it?

23 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

It may well be a false positive in the first or second test.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medical/more-than-100-recovered-coronavirus-patients-in-south-korea-have-tested-positive-again/ar-BB12yN9D?ocid=mailsignout