Jump to content
c64orinoco

Apocalypse preparation

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Well, we just got the stay-at-home order... I went into the office today to pick up a bunch of files, so I can work from home. Still waiting to hear exactly how it's all going to work from my boss, but it sounds like I can avoid going into the office for at least a couple of weeks. Our hours are cut back, but at least we'll still have some income.

I'm formulating a list of projects in my head that I can do with only what I have on hand... it's actually a pretty long list. After I'm done with work for the day, I'll probably write it all down. Got a couple of interesting ideas cooking...

I got the order to work from home last Monday; today we were informed of some new conditions:  1)  One week of mandatory vacation, 2) When we return, hours and pay are reduced, 3) Conditions will continue until there is a need to reassess or conditions improve.

Basically, I'm glad to have the income and the health insurance.  The company is doing everything it can to treat us humanely, and I have to respect that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

Just a heads up, this is one of the ebay sellers profiteering with the toilet paper etc...

Screenshot_20200323-150956_eBay.thumb.jpg.8c219a0a8922c64dffb4353818dece6f.jpg

 

 

I've just had a look at my purchase history because that seller rings a bell? 90% of what I get from Ebay is from Tony's tamiya parts top rate always comes up trump's with me and super fast dispatch/delivery but I bought a topforce bumper last year off model build and I've just looked at their listings and no bog roll so he's obviously taken it off! I find it very depressing that people think its acceptable to do stupid things like that they might get a pitiful amount for the bog roll but look at the trade they just lost by doing such a dumb thing like that.......so I hope they enjoy the few pennies they got but it will be pounds they will be losing in lost orders! Crazy greed-_-!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, moffman said:

I've just had a look at my purchase history because that seller rings a bell? 90% of what I get from Ebay is from Tony's tamiya parts top rate always comes up trump's with me and super fast dispatch/delivery but I bought a topforce bumper last year off model build and I've just looked at their listings and no bog roll so he's obviously taken it off! I find it very depressing that people think its acceptable to do stupid things like that they might get a pitiful amount for the bog roll but look at the trade they just lost by doing such a dumb thing like that.......so I hope they enjoy the few pennies they got but it will be pounds they will be losing in lost orders! Crazy greed-_-!!!

Really disappointed to have seen the posts about model_build having only just bought one small item from them last week. I just had a look at some recent sold items -for this seller - it’s just not right is it.

BFBBFB7E-E403-430C-8B40-08C3E87349E4.jpeg

403E6A60-D849-440D-8A9B-F6D2C0C7D26C.jpeg

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that's the UK on lockdown thanks to irresponsible idiots!

Looks like I won't be in work tomorrow and its not a job I can do from home. 

As usual, the guidelines have been drawn up fast but aren't very comprehensive. Trying to get clarity whether our business can be classed as essential or not for example. We sell printer ink cartridges which it could be argued for either way but with the amount of people working from home and home schooling, I would say it's quite important. The government lists aren't anywhere near detailed enough to specific clearly. When I have looked to other countries for a sense of clarity, I get mixed messages. Some american states are classifying office/IT supplies as essential and some not. That ones that are all seem to reference the whole work from home thing.

So as it stands, I don't know If I'm going to work tomorrow. I certainly know that 3+ weeks plus of no revenue will cripple the tiny shop so I'm hoping the owner can apply for the 80% wage thing just to give a little breathing space.

Ironically, although b2b is dead, through the door it was busier than it has been in years because of home workers stocking up which up until today had been the cause for quiet optimism. And now it seems like we will have to close because selfish idiots couldn't resist going to the beaches and parks etc.

I really have no idea how to get any greater clarity about how our shop is classified (or if things can be amended, that has happened a few times to their credit) or whether we are allowed to carry on but doing deliveries/post.

So basically, at this moment in time I have no idea about the security of my job/home etc. No savings to speak of either. I am literally clueless about where my life is going.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ex wife told me yesterday she is exercising social distancing....

I personally don’t think there will be any noticeable difference from when were married 😂

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not to get this thread political, but I did have to wonder about our minister for unemployment who didn't anticipate such high demand (it crashed the website, and there were very long queues) for Centrelink (Australia's unemployment service) when they closed all pubs, cinemas etc Australia wide on Monday. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, futureworks said:

Really disappointed to have seen the posts about model_build having only just bought one small item from them last week. I just had a look at some recent sold items -for this seller - it’s just not right is it.

BFBBFB7E-E403-430C-8B40-08C3E87349E4.jpeg

403E6A60-D849-440D-8A9B-F6D2C0C7D26C.jpeg

So they have made give or take £40(ish) they probably have lost in future revenue a awful lot more and counting........is it worth it?? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to work for about half 6, a little late as I wasn't sure the one remaining keyholder on shift was going to be in. Was promptly turned around and told to go home by my foreman who had only come in to turn the furnace off. Our head office is fighting to keep us open as we are key workers (they asked their customers who said that we are important and to keep production going - which is potentially the least professional -and true- thing a higher up has ever told me) 

Enter the limbo phase. My manager is in his 70's and 4 days out of fairly major surgery and still insists on coming in. Everyone else is gone as of today. I don't know what exactly will happen but it seems pointless to fight to keep us open when the only person who realistically can work takes public transport and hasn't been trained on most of the machinery, lots of which is a 2 man job and his working partner can't lift more than a mug of coffee. 

If it means being paid I will go to the factory by myself, make a few select sizes of product (can't change tooling, the tool setter is off & can only mix the most basic grades solo) Our huge influx of orders dried out in the latter half of last week. We got everything finished, packed and shipped yesterday. We only made the essential internal orders to replenish stock and packed those up. 

I am now beginning to worry. I don't really want to risk going out at all and would be quite happy to be a good little citizen and hole up for a fortnight but I am willing to do so if the alternative is redundancy, statutory sick pay (90 pounds weekly) or not being paid at all. I am glad I am looking for other work, but unfortunately I picked a very poor time. All my interviews have been understandably postponed or cancelled. Does anybody need a remote mechanical design and prototyping engineer:P? Has own laptop, 3d printer & will talk about old RC cars happily for long periods of time!

My two best case options are:
Sent home with some pay (badword, I can survive on 50% for a month or so) 
Return to work and just sit in a closed factory for 10 hours with full wage

I really don't want to be the one to "break ranks" as out of the few remaining I am the most desperate. We have two confirmed cases, the rest are simply at risk and don't want to chance it. 


eesh, that's a bit bleak. At least I have found I have a little more motivation to work on personal projects of late. I am making good progress with RC stuff!

6LBhFBp.jpg?1

Given what's gone on in this thread, thank you but no. Otherwise it would have been a possibility! I will be keeping an eye out from now on.

Hope everyone's Tuesday is going well.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have to close all of our stores at midnight tonight. Already had to close four locations, last one is open today. I've stocked up on parts and supplies, so I can work on the fleet and build/finish a few airplane models. Maybe I'll finally do a (re)build thread. Of course, there's a "honey do" list prepared as well.

Y'all stay safe and stay in contact with your local friends!

Dallas, TX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well lets put it this way from how many people are still going out i would say in 3 weeks the country will be on complete lockdown as he said last night if people dont listen to what is being said to stay in 

and the news just said the the police have been inundated with calls from people grassing on them who are still out 

so i would say in 3 weeks we wont be allowed out for excerise walk the dog or anything he has allowed us to do atm.

even some of the non essential shops are still staying open and not listerning  and it is these idiots that are gonna smeg it up for everyone in 3 weeks time.

until then i recon the police will get rich with all the £30 fines they will be handing out.

i only have to go out to walk with the wife to work ( she works in asda) as i is not safe to walk alone where the route she has to go to get to her work other than that i wont go out esp as i fall in the health bracket and i do not want to get this virus but my wifes safety/security means more to me and to me she and all the other shop workrs are just as much of a key worker than the others as with out food and as we all know bog roll the world prob would come to a end:lol:. and we are in the same boat as the key workers with not geting anything as she is not allowed while at work and the staff dont get that privilege as the nhs  and police.

she even had a police woman come in last week and have a right moan at her for nothing being on the shelf and she said she was in the same boat as her was then she walked off moaning still but the shop staff dont get any praise for being in more of a front line any anyone else as they can deal with hundreds if not thousands of customers every day 7 day a week and for 12 hours a day as my wife is doing atm.

i hope these company owners will not forget what the shop staff are doing for them and the public atm just so they can panic buy everything for no reason

sorry for the rant guys :rolleyes: .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, topforcein said:

i hope these company owners will not forget what the shop staff are doing for them and the public atm just so they can panic buy everything for no reason

Don't worry they probably will, as with NHS, truck, lorry and delivery drivers, mailman heck every underpaid wage worker who got looked down upon and now are saving the world because they cant go into hidding.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've moved the garden track from top to the bottom of the garden....there's no grass left at the top.......

Also, ordered a TA03RS Porsche GT1 to build over the next couple of days

20200324_172323_copy_1651x929_copy_825x464.jpg.025b8439f9bae1603da1587c5ccfd14b.jpg

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, waterbok said:

Don't worry they probably will, as with NHS, truck, lorry and delivery drivers, mailman heck every underpaid wage worker who got looked down upon and now are saving the world because they cant go into hidding.

Know how you feel. Driving a bus I know a lot of the people I carry and I also know the ones that are either at home swinging the lead or just ignoring government advice. Hopefully the will get their comeuppance!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nellyle said:

We've moved the garden track from top to the bottom of the garden....there's no grass left at the top.......

Also, ordered a TA03SW Porsche GT1 to build over the next couple of days

20200324_172323_copy_1651x929_copy_825x464.jpg.025b8439f9bae1603da1587c5ccfd14b.jpg

 

Going to have to be a rally version then!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, topforcein said:

well lets put it this way from how many people are still going out i would say in 3 weeks the country will be on complete lockdown as he said last night if people dont listen to what is being said to stay in 

and the news just said the the police have been inundated with calls from people grassing on them who are still out 

so i would say in 3 weeks we wont be allowed out for excerise walk the dog or anything he has allowed us to do atm.

even some of the non essential shops are still staying open and not listerning  and it is these idiots that are gonna smeg it up for everyone in 3 weeks time.

until then i recon the police will get rich with all the £30 fines they will be handing out.

i only have to go out to walk with the wife to work ( she works in asda) as i is not safe to walk alone where the route she has to go to get to her work other than that i wont go out esp as i fall in the health bracket and i do not want to get this virus but my wifes safety/security means more to me and to me she and all the other shop workrs are just as much of a key worker than the others as with out food and as we all know bog roll the world prob would come to a end:lol:. and we are in the same boat as the key workers with not geting anything as she is not allowed while at work and the staff dont get that privilege as the nhs  and police.

she even had a police woman come in last week and have a right moan at her for nothing being on the shelf and she said she was in the same boat as her was then she walked off moaning still but the shop staff dont get any praise for being in more of a front line any anyone else as they can deal with hundreds if not thousands of customers every day 7 day a week and for 12 hours a day as my wife is doing atm.

i hope these company owners will not forget what the shop staff are doing for them and the public atm just so they can panic buy everything for no reason

sorry for the rant guys :rolleyes: .

These companies SHOULD not forget the workforce after this is all over (and prey to God its sooner rather than later) but sadly I have a hunch they will forget! Please prove me wrong?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty dark & dismal downunder :( 

Anywhere else in the world Europe US Asia etc was booming along fine before CV19 hit.

But Australia's travel/tourism/hospitality etc already took a huge hit with the bushfires 4-6mths before Feb 2020, no time to recover before the contagion arrived. Economy pretty weakened by Xmas 2019, now everything is at total standstill - nobody even dares predict how bad it get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sky was absolutely beautiful after a week of "social distancing."  

Not many people driving is keeping the air clean?  We might experience the "spring" that didn't come around past few years.  It was winter to summer.  

I hope this isn't the calm before the storm...

AG6tSDv.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife had been encouraging me to get another lockdown project in before things grind to a complete halt, so I thought I might order the parts I need to turn a TA-02 tub that I acquired a while ago into a complete TA-02 rally car.

So earlier I spent an enjoyable couple of hours going through a TA-02 manual and ordering bits off eBay. (None of them from model_build I might add!)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

My wife had been encouraging me to get another lockdown project in before things grind to a complete halt, so I thought I might order the parts I need to turn a TA-02 tub that I acquired a while ago into a complete TA-02 rally car.

So earlier I spent an enjoyable couple of hours going through a TA-02 manual and ordering bits off eBay. (None of them from model_build I might add!)

Thats a project in itself - 2 hours ordering bits is half the build time, makes it excellent value!

3 hours ago, Juggular said:

The sky was absolutely beautiful after a week of "social distancing."  

Not many people driving is keeping the air clean?  We might experience the "spring" that didn't come around past few years.  It was winter to summer.  

I hope this isn't the calm before the storm...

AG6tSDv.jpg

This really interests me. We don't have much pollution down here but we all share ome atmosphere. My business is going to be using skype or zoom for meetings and I hope this becomes normal. We will save a stack on flights and accomodation and more importantly the environment benefits massively if we get used to video meetings rather than face to face

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Juggular said:

The sky was absolutely beautiful after a week of "social distancing."  

Not many people driving is keeping the air clean?  We might experience the "spring" that didn't come around past few years.  It was winter to summer.  

I hope this isn't the calm before the storm...

AG6tSDv.jpg

I’ve heard that the Canals in Venice are just about crystal clear as well, even sightings of dolphins? 
it will be interesting to see what happens with L.A’s infamous smog as a result. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, topforcein said:

well lets put it this way from how many people are still going out i would say in 3 weeks the country will be on complete lockdown as he said last night if people dont listen to what is being said to stay in 

and the news just said the the police have been inundated with calls from people grassing on them who are still out 

so i would say in 3 weeks we wont be allowed out for excerise walk the dog or anything he has allowed us to do atm.

even some of the non essential shops are still staying open and not listerning  and it is these idiots that are gonna smeg it up for everyone in 3 weeks time.

until then i recon the police will get rich with all the £30 fines they will be handing out.

i only have to go out to walk with the wife to work ( she works in asda) as i is not safe to walk alone where the route she has to go to get to her work other than that i wont go out esp as i fall in the health bracket and i do not want to get this virus but my wifes safety/security means more to me and to me she and all the other shop workrs are just as much of a key worker than the others as with out food and as we all know bog roll the world prob would come to a end:lol:. and we are in the same boat as the key workers with not geting anything as she is not allowed while at work and the staff dont get that privilege as the nhs  and police.

she even had a police woman come in last week and have a right moan at her for nothing being on the shelf and she said she was in the same boat as her was then she walked off moaning still but the shop staff dont get any praise for being in more of a front line any anyone else as they can deal with hundreds if not thousands of customers every day 7 day a week and for 12 hours a day as my wife is doing atm.

i hope these company owners will not forget what the shop staff are doing for them and the public atm just so they can panic buy everything for no reason

sorry for the rant guys :rolleyes: .

Well said, I think the shop workers and delivery guys (not to exclude everyone else who's working on the front line of course) will be the unsung heroes of this crisis. To maintain their decorum and politeness in the face of a lot of very impolite and thoughtless customers whilst working in ever more demanding conditions, on top of having to face the exact same fears and concerns as everyone else, they all deserve medals. At the very least, a heartfelt "thank you" from all of us when we next go shopping.

To all those who are either on here or have family in these positions; 'thank you very much for everything you are doing.'

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday my shop, an Opticians located inside my local supermarket, was shut down until further notice. Our entire team is now expected to stay home as per Gov "Instructions", basically to wait until our HO tells us to come back to work. This is the down side of my news as I like my job and the team I work with.

The up side: The weather is nice, warming up a bit thanks to being sunny, and I'm not showing any symptoms of illness associated with Covid-19. I'm even considering trying to get my 3D printer sorted out (if I can) as it's so uplifting having such good fortune is such uncertain times.

 

So, yeah. I'm trying to stay optimistic. Catch up with me after a week or two of lockdown and I might be singing a different tune but, for now, I'm trying to keep a positive attitude.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I just make a plea to all those people who are driving on the British motorways at the moment! As I'm a key worker that works late shifts and I have quite a journey to and from work my commute is 99% motorway what I'm am seeing over the last week or so is because the roads are unbelievably quiet certain members of the public think its turned into their own private race track ( i seen today a transit van at LEAST doing 100mph with a small child in the passenger seat.......mentally stupid!) Over the next week or so things are going to get pretty tough and the NHS is going to need all the help we can give it so what we don't need is complete and utter moronic idiots driving stupidly dangerous which can lead to accidents which could be totally avoided! so please please calm it down and drive responsible!

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I now hear Prince Charles is down with it... he's been hobnobbing with Mr Monaco huh... zombies are coming peoples! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...