Sign in to follow this  
GTodd

Clod Resurgence

Looks like the ClodBuster is having a Resurgence in popularity with the Black Special.  The blue was just meh! The black is awesome! I'm currently painting mine, I've got zero patience, ugh. 

• Like 2

I don't know if the world is starting to embrace solid axle monster trucks again, or if it's because I've only just discovered Triggerkings on Youtube, but there seems to be something of a resurgence in Clods and monsters in general.  There's no race series here in the UK but regardless I find myself hyped to build a racing clod.  My Mod Clod project of old has come a long way over the last few months, but is has suffered from being a budget build.  Just yesterday watching a Triggerkings episode on building a racing clod has got me fired up to import an Absolute Chaos chassis.

I'm going on a road trip today and might stop in at a large model shop on the way.  They have the Black Edition clod, the new SMT10 kit and the SCX10 II kit in stock.  I really should be saving for rainy days (the virus might cause local daycare closures which would force us to take time off work), but I'm going to find it very hard to say no to one of those kits.  The Black Edition clod would make a nice classic race build with a Sassy Chassis on not too big a budget.  The SMT10 would give me a modern take on monster truck construction.  Or an SCX10 II would replace my ageing SCX10 G6, which could be rebuilt into an 80s ladder frame monster truck (there was one posted here a couple of months back that was stunning).

There's a wealth of good shells around, too.  It seemed not long ago if you didn't want to hunt down a vintage Tamiya hardbody, your choice was a Silverado or an SUV.  JConcepts now offer a huge range of awesome-looking bodies in a variety of wheelbases.

I'll be rebuilding my TXT-1 later this year, and possibly converting a stalled Reign/Axial/TLT class 3 scaler project into a modern take on a monster beetle.  The future has big tyres :)

The Black one is definitely far more striking than the Blue ever was - The Blue one always reminded me of a dodgy Hot Wheels knock-off model

The beauty of Clods is they're so easy to modify as you don't have to worry about driveshaft lengths and angles

They also look a lot better when accelerating as they're not slapped to one side by torque-twist.
Steering servo placement needs a bit of thought, as does the reversing of one motor, but it's all fairly easy.

I built a couple years ago and they were great fun;  https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/61526-clod-racer-project/&tab=comments#comment-408459

img169_21092005214708_7_1100_.jpg

img169_21092005214708_6_1100_.jpg

img169_21092005214708_4_1100_.jpg

Monster racing at Kidderminster TC Meet, 2005 - All 'Clods' except the black tuber - Pretty sure that was a TXT originally

resizer.aspx?uid=169&w=1100&h=&pic=img169_30052005164148_2&ext=.jpg&c=Y

img169_30052005162441_5_1100_.jpg

resizer.aspx?uid=169&w=1100&h=&pic=img169_30052005165000_4&ext=.jpg&c=Y

resizer.aspx?uid=169&w=1100&h=&pic=img169_30052005165000_1&ext=.jpg&c=Y

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, GTodd said:

Looks like the ClodBuster is having a Resurgence in popularity with the Black Special.  The blue was just meh! The black is awesome! I'm currently painting mine, I've got zero patience, ugh. 

I also have zero patience thats why I left it unpainted... all black :)

57 minutes ago, TDanny said:

I also have zero patience thats why I left it unpainted... all black :)

I should of specified, I bought the ugly blue version and I'm Redding it out. Currently on my fourth coat of Tamiya Mica Red.

Should just clear yours and call it a day.

• Haha 1

Just changed my laughing emoji to a sad face after noticing theres a 97 castrol celica shell in the pile being crushed.

Been after one of them for ages :(

Im guessing the clod is a teeny weeny bit top heavy?