BP2411

Servo recommendations

Hello everyone, received 2 well used mad bulls yesterday for my kids, they came with 3 servos (2 fitted & a spare) 1 of the fitted ones was doa and the other died not long after I got the tx & rx to bind. Been out of the loop for years, can anyone recommend a cheap servo to put in for steering duties? 

Cheers 

I use the JX PDI4409MG servos. They're low peofile, metal gears, .11sec and 9kg, and about USD13 delivered from Banggood. So far so good. I would get better to race but they work well for budget bashers. Actually thats a lie, I have them in my sons TT02 which is set up for TT02 class racing, and my Top Force which is set up for vintage racing. I wouldn't run them in my proper race cars...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Futaba S3003 are tried and true. Cheap but still good quality.

But as stated above there are many higher spec servos from China that are similarly priced with which many people have good results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone got any good links to Futaba ones?

lots of fakes out there 

I got 3 for £10 second hand last year and I’m looking for similar again

JJ

2 hours ago, Problemchild said:

lots of fakes out there 

JJ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-5-Futaba-S3003-standard-servos-with-1-hardware-bag/133375758402?hash=item1f0dd09042:g:UVUAAOSwXjxeg8IY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Futaba-S3003-Standard-Servo-S3003/332838410745?epid=691446460&hash=item4d7eb719f9:g:XXoAAOSw8Y1bwO1M

On 3/13/2020 at 4:04 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

I use the JX PDI4409MG servos. They're low peofile, metal gears, .11sec and 9kg, and about USD13 delivered from Banggood. So far so good. I would get better to race but they work well for budget bashers. Actually thats a lie, I have them in my sons TT02 which is set up for TT02 class racing, and my Top Force which is set up for vintage racing. I wouldn't run them in my proper race cars...

I'm using this too. The JX PDI4409MG is pretty impressive especially for its price. Another I would recommend it the SPT 4412LV. Same price range. Digital, metal gears, low profile but a little better than the JX (.09sec and 12kg). Both beats the S3003 (I have lots of this and don't use them anymore) at any aspect. 

I use both for my FF rally car and 4WD rally car and race them with no problems at all. 

• Like 1

I thought this question would've had more replies / suggestions but maybe they're the main 3 people use. Where's the best place to order these from, I'm in the UK. 

• Like 1

I order my cheap ones (the JX above) from Banggood.  Cheap and work well.

Hobbyking do Trackstar, they are better than the JX but twice the price.

Otherwsie my go to is Savox in my race cars and I tend to buy them from the LHS.  They are expensive and no cheaper online than locally.

5 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Sorry - should have said I’m in the UK

JJ

You don't ever buy international lol? I live in USA and order from China, Germany, and Japan often. 

On 4/3/2020 at 7:20 PM, Problemchild said:

lots of fakes out there 

JJ

How can you spot the fakes?  I got two brand new ones off ebay and they were in boxes.  Now I'm wondering.

BP2411, my Mad Bull has got a Savöx SC-0254MG, as seen in this thread, it will help turning the front wheels in standstill:

For fake Futaba servos, this website is very helpful in spotting them:

https://www.rcmodelreviews.com/fakefutabaservos.shtml

eBay is full of fake S3003 servos. Avoid the fakes.
I use genuine Futaba S3003 in the majority of my RC cars, and they do a fine job.

Savox is among the leading brands, currently.  They also offer replacement gears for when this kiddos break then.

Avoid Traxxas, regardless of how cheap their servos are.

• Like 1

Depends on your budget really.

Savox is my preferred brand for my race cars, but I have also bought some inexpensive, fast, digital metal geared servos from HobbyKing for my runners.

Another good brand is SPT. the SPT 4412lv. I have 2 of these and they are good as well. Even faster than the JX 0.09secs@6.0v and 12kg. Metal gears, digital, aluminum mid-casing, low profile. About the same price range as the JX.

4ef01870-0ca2-4e6a-9048-03c97953e35e.JPG

This and the JX kicks out the s3003/s3004 (both are analog, have plastic gears and very slow) in terms of specs, performance and price. 

https://sea.banggood.com/SPT-Servo-SPT4412LV-12KG-Digital-Servo-Large-Torque-Metal-Gear-Short-Body-For-RC-Airplane-Car-Boat-p-1382838.html?akmClientCountry=PH&cur_warehouse=CN

• Like 1