phiber_optik

BF Goodrich on MF01X

Hey Folks, 

I am still deciding about an MF01X, I have a stock CC01 and I want something compatible with it as in I am not sure I want to go full on crawler / scaler as I know my 7 year will think its unfair lol... I could just get 2 scalers lol.

Anyway if I went with an MF01X I would want to throw some larger tyres on it, ideally 1.55 and some MTZ tires but that runs big money. 

BF Goodrich are about the right size, has anyone fitted a set to a Jimny? and is there anyway to make them softer. I dont need triple soft, deflects under its on weight soft but also not a hockey puck lol.

Depends on the bodyshell, you'll need something custom.

On the Jimny JB23 this won't work - it was designed for Tamiya Rally Block tyres, which have an approximate external diameter of 70mm.

The Mercedes Benz G320 Cabrio has bigger wheel arches, but was designed for use with the Honda CR-V tyres, which are smaller than the BFGoodrich (Hummer) tyres, at just 80mm diameter.

The BFG tyres ("Hockey Pucks") you want to use are about 88mm diameter, so will probably rub on the Mercedes body.

I've found some taller un-branded tyres for my Jimny which are approx. 76mm diameter -

44848691424_e6da3e394c_b.jpg

That looks perfect! That is exactly what I am after, just something to keep up with the CC01 on a forest trail and round the garden over some wooden bridges.

I do know folk who have fitted 85mm MTZ on 1.55 with a little body trimming, also seen folk cutting up the underside for more clearance.  

I did hope the BF Goodrich would of fitted as they are cheap as chips.

spacer.png

I’m not sure what the thinking was when Tamiya decided to put shells on the mf01x that would indicate that it might  be able to be used as a crawler, as it’s not even close to being a reasonable crawler, if not for the reason that all the weight is at the back and it flips over backwards at the hint of a climb, let alone the tiny amount of suspension movement. 

that being said the bodys are very nice and you can make a great looking little vehicle for kids to play with, the 1.55” mtz is the best option if you absoluently must crawl or trail it, but it’s not going to come close to making it keep up with a well sorted cc01. I would just buy another cc01 or a cc02. 

A crawler chassis the mf01x simply is not. The beetle rally body is probably the most valid use of it to date. 

I know some kids will get upset with the car if it can’t do what the adult car can do of your driving together, I’ve taken to actually giving them at least a equally capable vehicle to use (in terms of crawlers, not 60mph bashers), just helps to keep to them interested. Also helps prevent them believing it’s something they are doing wrong when the car is holding them back.

How about this?IMG_1836.JPG.574bd16437c70b2acc6b81b3e31dec5f.JPGIMG_1839.JPG.5ea002c626928376ffd4499db57e0c1b.JPG

Need to put the medium drive shaft in but it should make a cute little trail truck. Wheels and tyres though were over £100 for the set:(

• Like 1