Sign in to follow this  
ledsheep

Newbie needs help to chose wisely

Hello tamiya community

I want to buy my first rc im between tt02subaru impreza and tt02 toyota yaris gazoo it looks nice kits for newbies like me and also looms very nice rly.models for me also this chassis tooks a lot of hop up options for future upgrates. So my questions are 

1) this starting kits is not include batteries and in tamiya (german shop) i cant find any tamkya battery brand only from carson brand itncould woro correctly

2) steerig wheel servo transmitter also the same problem i cant find any steering wheel from tamiya brand in the shop i could buy any steering wheel from carson and install it on my rc?  Also the same with servo 

3) I found some standar budles like servo steering wheel and  transmitter from carson at german site it it is good deal or i should buy it 1by1 

4) is good option to buy a very good servo for future upgrates or it goes like every servo works well with some motors?

Thank you for your time 

Slow down mate, in your excitement some of your post is a bit unreadable!

Before you choose, think about what space you have available for running it. If its mainly grass or mud you may find a buggy (DT-02, DT-03) would be more useable. TT-02s struggle a bit when the going is lumpy.

1) You don't need a tamiya brand battery. Your battery is dictated by your speed controller and the space to fit it. Remember that you will need a suitable charger for whatever battery you buy. NiMH is a good starting point in my opinion. Decide what speed controller and battery you will be using, then we can look at what battery will be used.

2) You don't need a Tamiya brand transmitter; there are many brands available. You can buy bundles from people like Flysky, which will have a transmitter and receiver included.

3) I don't know. Are you in germany?

4) As with anything you pay your money and you take your chance. Futaba S3003 is a good one for example, but there are plenty of entry level servos that will do the job well.

Have a read of the rest of the site, I think you just need to get your head round a few basics before clicking Buy-it-Now. It's a great hobby and I hope you enjoy it, welcome.

• Like 1

For a possible transmitter/receiver combo look at the Flysky gt2e. Very reasonably priced and my son even uses his for his racing. He keeps thinking of upgrading but it does almost everything the expensive transmitters do.

I have some li po battery expirience from airsoft and i think li po batteries are better also because you buy it seperatly is better for me to buy  good battery for next hop up options in my opinion. I found some esc from tamiya.de but i dont know which ecs wroks well with which batteries, is like need to be the same volt range? I found bundles like this This But i think esc missing. also i found  some esc from tamiya.de like This One but i dont know if they are brushed or brushless and what is trn or for exaple 25t insaw also those on motors. Tt02 subaru 1999 itncomes with 540 tuned  brushed motor which esc should i buy?

If you already have a balanced LiPo charger then yes, I totally agree LiPo is the way to go. If the car you wish to buy doesn't come with an ESC then a good generic ESC for brushed motors is the Hobbywing 1060. It's compatible with LiPo and will work with your 540 brushed motor. Your most important factor here is to make sure you get the same connector for the ESC and the Battery. My personal preference is XT60 connector as the Tamiya connector doesn't cope well with high current, and the Deans connectors I don't feel are very robust (we use them in racing but they never feel like they are connecting well. I'm sure they are fine, its just my preference). Also you will need to make sure you have a charging cable that suits too. Maybe its best to start with the standard motor, again, just my opinion.

This is all just my opinion, there are many available, this is just mine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ledsheep said:

Hello tamiya community

I want to buy my first rc im between tt02subaru impreza and tt02 toyota yaris gazoo it looks nice kits for newbies like me and also looms very nice rly.models for me also this chassis tooks a lot of hop up options for future upgrates. So my questions are 

1) this starting kits is not include batteries and in tamiya (german shop) i cant find any tamkya battery brand only from carson brand itncould woro correctly

2) steerig wheel servo transmitter also the same problem i cant find any steering wheel from tamiya brand in the shop i could buy any steering wheel from carson and install it on my rc?  Also the same with servo 

3) I found some standar budles like servo steering wheel and  transmitter from carson at german site it it is good deal or i should buy it 1by1 

4) is good option to buy a very good servo for future upgrates or it goes like every servo works well with some motors?

Thank you for your time 

I don't think the bundles are a great way to buy things as you are stuck with what they bundle. For example cheaper bundles i have seen come with a basic but ok transmitter and servo, but invariably a cheap charger with a 2amp charge rate. That will take 90mins to charge a 3000mah battery. You then have to go to a better bundle, and pay for better of everything.

Transmitter - I haven't used carson but many on here do and they seem to be fine. That will be a good start point. Also flysky, hobbyking etc. You do get what you pay for, futaba and sanwa are more expensive but much nicer units. Bear in mind you may get more cars, some can handle multiple models, but you may prefer to have a few cheap sets so you can run multiple models at the same time.

Servo - the standard was the Futaba S3003. They are about .2 secs and 3kg with plastic gears. For a lot less money you can get a metal gear servo with better specs. It won't be as high quality (ie it is more likely to fail for no apparent reason) but will perform better and take more knocks. I like the JX PDI 4409MG, about USD13 from banggood. Personally i look for .1sec and 10kg for 10th scale cars, or thereabouts. For a TT02 just go for a basic servo, spens money on better if you get faster cars or go racing.

Batteries - if you are going lipo then around 5000mah is a good place to start. The tt02 takes standard stick or shorty lipos so no need to worry about the old round cases like you need for rerelease or vintage models. If you are sticking with slower brushed motors then any will be fine. If you start looking at low turn, brushless motors and programmable ESC then look for a quality battery. C rating is a guide but mostly meaningless, i look at the brand, so gens-ace, fantom, orion etc. They are expensive

Charger - sounds like you have one, but i look for 50w minimum per channel, and at least 6amps. This means you can charge most 2S batteries in under an hour. More is better, but I have just bought the HTRC C240 dual charger which is only 150w combined, and max 10amps charging. That will do me forever as I only run 2S batteries. Spend a bit more on the charger as you have it for years. I wish I had bought a dual or quad to start with, i now have a dual and 2 singles.

ESC - hopefully the kit comes with a TBLE-02S as they are very versatile. A cheap upgrade is a 13.5T brushless motor, which when geared correctly will make the car fly. 

Buy bearings for the TT02 and build it with them from the start. Other hopups can wait, but bearings are necessary. Personally I don't upgarde my TT02 cars, they are great for a bit of fun but they will never compete with a better chassis. You could spend a fortune on hopups and realise you could have just bought a TRF420 to start. The TA07 or TB05 is a fun chassis to upgrade though and perform much better than a TT02 out of the box. But it always costs a lot to upgrade a car, the cheapest option longterm is to buy the better one

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 5:07 PM, ledsheep said:

Hello tamiya community

Thank you for your time 

Personally I think that the TT-02 is a great starting point, assuming that you have somewhere to run it. A lot of clubs run classes aimed at beginners and casual racers where only plastic tub chassis cars are permitted, and the TT-02 is a popular choice. You don't need the fanciest or most hopped-up model to have fun racing, if you are racing against other more basic models similar to your own. Out of the two cars you have put forward, the Subaru shell is a bit easier to paint and decal.

1. The previous respondents have already made good points on battery choice. The only thing I'd add is that if you think you might want to add a few vintage models to your fleet at some point in the future, a rounded LiPo such as those from Core RC are a good choice as they fit both old and new models.

2 and 3.. I would steer clear of Carson transmitters and bundles. They work well enough, but feel very tacky and poorly assembled in my experience. The servos are also nothing to write home about. I bought a Carson bundle for my first hobby-grade RC car, and I regret it. Had I known then what I know now, I'd go for a Flysky GT2B or GT3C transmitter and receiver, along with an Alturn AAS700STD ballraced servo.

4. The servo requirements for a TT-02 are pretty undemanding, and standard servos such as the Alturn I mentioned are cheap enough, so I would get one of those for the TT-02, and when you get another model, buy another servo suited to it, whatever it may be. 

We look forward to seeing what you decide!

(And yes, bearings are an excellent idea to include from the outset, as is a steel pinion, and oil shocks. These are the "big 3" - the upgrades worth considering for every Tamiya that doesn't come with them included in the kit, no matter how basic.)

(And when you get bored with the standard silver can motor, a 13.5t Bluebottle is a great upgrade, working very well with the standard ESC.)

• Like 2