Toolmaker72

Removing paint from old 959 body

Probably been asked a million times already but is there a way to remove old paint from inside a polycarbonate body?  I dug out my old 959, and wondered if the old paint can be removed from inside the body as it’s in good condition otherwise.  

Ive had maximum success with Revell Paint Remover on painted polycarbonate. 

Available from most model shops / hobbycraft etc

• Like 1

Looked on youtube for the same info. From what I gathered, people seemed to have good luck with nitro fuel. Well I went to my LHS and bought some. Buuuuut, it wasn't very effective. Mind you was using 20% fuel, and that might be too weak. I was also only trying to remove sections of the paint. I think the guys who were having success with it were soaking the bodies. I'm going to try the revell stuff.

I actually stripped a 959 Body many years ago.  I used 20% nitro fuel. I didn’t soak the body but would let it pool up in small sections for s few minutes and then rub it off.  It took some time but worked great and didn’t leave any haze. I just had to clean the body with some degreaser after the i was done. See my link below for pics.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=1193&id=135

Good luck with it,, however, given the hours I spent on it, if I had to do this today, I would just buy a TBG body, which weren’t available back then and even beat up bodies were pricey. You should also consider the condition of the body. These were thin and fragile and unless you have one in very good shape, in my opinion, it may not be worth your efforts.

Thanks again for the replies and info. I’ll put a picture up soon of what I have but as mentioned above probably a better idea to buy a replacement if they are available