zappto

MK I and MKII vintage sand scorcher.

Hello, i am going to start new restoration project on my old sand scorcher. Wanted to ask what are differences between MKI and MKII. which parts are different?

The rear arms are different, the early ones had twin bearings for the drive shaft, wheras the later ones didnt have the machining for the inner bearing. The gearbox casing is different, the early one had a gap in the middle between the lower rear cage mounts, the later one being solid all the way across. The front suspension uprights on the early setup had small screws where the spring hook, but the later setup had cast lugs. The front bomper is also different on the very early cars, it was originaly black with the Tamiya logo in raised print on the inside where it mounts to the chassis, but these are very hard to find now.

Apart from that, most of the parts are the same.

I have a early car, plus a later one that i am restoring.

J

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, zappto said:

Hello, i am going to start new restoration project on my old sand scorcher. Wanted to ask what are differences between MKI and MKII. which parts are different?

I just remembered, the front arms on the early cars are thinner than the later items.

J

• Like 2

thank you for info,  I found re release body for the scorcher, does it fits for the vintage one? or it is different?

Not to go over old ground but Mk1 + Mk2 doesn’t actually exist for vintage SRBs - largely because people on here have found parts thought distinctive to each Mk under NIB blisters in the same kit ...

So the best we can do is accept there was a high level of OEM cross over + vaguely group kits as Early, Mid or Late in the production run.

Other things common to Early kits are:

1. Thinner + lighter front arms;

2. 2 vent motors at the end of the silver can (not 4);

3. Radio box has no ‘breather’ holes in the lid;

4. The holes in the chassis plate for mounting the front suspension towers are a few mm further forward than the Mid (almost on the front edge);

5. The steering servo saver metal ring on the front body post is slightly larger - which combined with 4. means those parts aren’t interchangeable because the different position holes in the servo saver fouls the front suspension tubes;

6. Early wheels will be fitted together with ‘flat’ head type screws.

• Like 1

I’m pretty sure the rear wishbones have double bearings in the early SRB’s and the gearbox cage mounting points  differ as well. 

• Like 1

There are sooooooo many differences. Casting marks, Shocks, Body, etc etc. Sometimes it is best to do a search of past threads. When they were released people were all over documenting the differences. 

OSR 

On 3/14/2020 at 2:27 PM, SuperChamp82 said:

3. Radio box has no ‘breather’ holes in the lid;

That one's new to me. Have you -or anybody else for that matter- have a picture of them so I can check my cars?

On 3/15/2020 at 4:22 AM, Grumpy pants said:

I’m pretty sure the rear wishbones have double bearings in the early SRB’s and the gearbox cage mounting points  differ as well. 

That's correct. Although as far as I remember there is no mention of double bearings on the manuals of those older RR & Scorchers, somehow you could fit a second bearing there. The orig kits doesn't come with bearings but brass bushings, too.

• Like 2