rwordenjr

If you had to choose...

Deciding on my next purchase and am considering two very different kits. If you had to choose between the stadium thunder(falcon chassis) and the avante mk ii (df03 chassis), which would you choose ? I’m not a racer, I just like to build and run the cars. 

Stadium thunder if building and driving or df03  for collection/display

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, taffer said:

Stadium thunder if building and driving or df03  for collection/display

oh really? the df03 is more collectable at this time?

It is by no means the most collectible Avante version, but anything bearing the Avante name is collectible to a point. And the Stadium Thunder is the more reliable runner.

• Like 2

I've run both chassis and both are good fun.  The Stadium Thunder is a riot with a good motor although the stock tyres are poor (Schumacher make a much better stadium tyre).  It's fairly basic and sturdy.  My Blitzer Beetle (same chassis) has probably broken more than any other car I own but that's largely because it has one of the daftest motors (an Acto Pink) and gets so much use.  Mostly I have had problems with drive stubs shearing off and wheels disintegrating, always the rear left.  Last time out I broke a rear upright (rear left again!) not in a crash, but as I was righting from being overturned and I dropped it wrong onto a hard surface.  Note that I'm having trouble sourcing a new replacement - the Blitzer Beetle and its kin are still listed as current kits by Tamiya but there don't seem to be many spare parts trees around right now.  Not sure if this means it will be going out of production soon.  A shame as I still think it is one of Tamiya's finest non-race kits.

Note that only the chassis tub is shared with the Falcon - the Stadium Thunder is actually a Bear Hawk with big wheels and slightly different gearing.

The DF03 is a capable basher.  Comes out of the box with plenty of adjustability.  It's a mid-level kit and while not quite competition-spec, is a step above most bashing buggies.  I really enjoyed mine, although it was decomissioned some years ago and hasn't been rebuilt yet.  It's a more involved build than many other non-competition kits.  The chassis tub is very small, so big ESCs won't fit.  The rear diff is fragile is used with hot motors - a hardened outdrive kit used to be available which made it more reliable.  Actually there were some very good hop-up options but most are discontinued and hard to find now.  3Racing made a good alloy shock upgrade which I think is still available - note that this fits on the Stadium Thunder too :)  

• Like 1

Stadium thunder every time,  df03 leaves me cold, sorry...it just does.

Fit a 9t 4370kv combo, bearings, Schumacher Vee4 and Vee2  tyres, your then ready for some good times.

I run this setup it's perfectly silly and the suspension can handle it readily. Wheelies on demand 😀

• Like 2

Never had a ,Stadium Thunder, but my DF03 Dark Impact is brilliant!! 

The DF03 need a bit of mods to work well, order an extra set of front outdrives to use on the rear, and 2 sets of ceramic or tungsten carbide 3mm balls, then that's the ball diffs sorted and if you're planning on low turn brushless, a slipper (more to keep the nose on the floor more than anything tbh) 

• Like 2

I've decided on the ST for now. I'm going to run the sport tuned tamiya motor (not included on the rere) and a savox 1258 servo. 

• Like 3

On 3/16/2020 at 3:59 AM, Mad Ax said:

I've run both chassis and both are good fun.  The Stadium Thunder is a riot with a good motor although the stock tyres are poor (Schumacher make a much better stadium tyre).  It's fairly basic and sturdy.  My Blitzer Beetle (same chassis) has probably broken more than any other car I own but that's largely because it has one of the daftest motors (an Acto Pink) and gets so much use.  Mostly I have had problems with drive stubs shearing off and wheels disintegrating, always the rear left.  Last time out I broke a rear upright (rear left again!) not in a crash, but as I was righting from being overturned and I dropped it wrong onto a hard surface.  Note that I'm having trouble sourcing a new replacement - the Blitzer Beetle and its kin are still listed as current kits by Tamiya but there don't seem to be many spare parts trees around right now.  Not sure if this means it will be going out of production soon.  A shame as I still think it is one of Tamiya's finest non-race kits.

Note that only the chassis tub is shared with the Falcon - the Stadium Thunder is actually a Bear Hawk with big wheels and slightly different gearing.

The DF03 is a capable basher.  Comes out of the box with plenty of adjustability.  It's a mid-level kit and while not quite competition-spec, is a step above most bashing buggies.  I really enjoyed mine, although it was decomissioned some years ago and hasn't been rebuilt yet.  It's a more involved build than many other non-competition kits.  The chassis tub is very small, so big ESCs won't fit.  The rear diff is fragile is used with hot motors - a hardened outdrive kit used to be available which made it more reliable.  Actually there were some very good hop-up options but most are discontinued and hard to find now.  3Racing made a good alloy shock upgrade which I think is still available - note that this fits on the Stadium Thunder too :)  

The dt02 turnbuckle set works on the stadium thunder right?

I’m in the same position 

i want a model that’s interesting to build 

the comical hornet was my last fun build last year - it’s a great model and so much going on (you can spend time painting the driver, the decals are a complicated fit, the wheels are fun to assemble etc etc etc)

they are mega cheap as well at the moment or go for the 4WD avante comical 

im bored of everything being TT02 based :(

how about a rere Terra scorcher - that’s an awesome build 

JJ

17 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Looks great!

Thanks turnip! The paint and decals is the hardest part for me. I usually start off intending to do full box art then get lazy and just do half box art and half add my own stickers from the servos, bearings, etc lol. I wish the decals were precut !

6 hours ago, Problemchild said:

I’m in the same position 

the comical hornet was my last fun build last year - it’s a great model and so much going on (you can spend time painting the driver, the decals are a complicated fit, the wheels are fun to assemble etc etc etc)

JJ

That does sound like a fun build. My next build will be the nova fox. Picked up for great price from tamico. Probably going to be for display only because the car doesn’t look like the best runner even though I don’t bash my cars so to say. I drive them on the street mainly and a few dirt jumps occasionally. My nearest track is 2 hours away unfortunately so I can’t frequently get out to run in a better environment. 

7 hours ago, Problemchild said:

I’m in the same position 

JJ

Thread hijack! If you dont have a Top Force get one, they look amazing, perform well and it was my favourite build. I reckon the Top Force is the missing link between old school cool and modern performance, it does it all.

Also, great lookimg Stadium Thunder @rwordenjr

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Thread hijack! If you dont have a Top Force get one, they look amazing, perform well and it was my favourite build. I reckon the Top Force is the missing link between old school cool and modern performance, it does it all.

Also, great lookimg Stadium Thunder @rwordenjr

Thanks Jonathon! I've had my eye on the TF for a while too. It's pretty cheap nowadays with all the reres coming out. There are so many cars that I want to buy but I've got to show some self control and build and play with what I've got for the moment :lol: A few months ago I had 2 cars. I've now got 5 and 2 on the way although I'm trying to sell the original 2 cars and get them out of here... the Baja king and manta ray :ph34r:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

The dt02 turnbuckle set works on the stadium thunder right?

I believe they do - I'm pretty sure that's what I have on my Bear Hawk.  If memory serves, you may have to trim down the rear turnbuckles a little.

I'm not sure if the steering links fit.

7 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I believe they do - I'm pretty sure that's what I have on my Bear Hawk.  If memory serves, you may have to trim down the rear turnbuckles a little.

I'm not sure if the steering links fit.

Thanks MadAx, a week or so and I'll be able to install it. I drove the ST last night for the first time and it's sure squirrely ! It was fun to drive but hard to get any traction lol

They are rather tail happy especially wit brushless power but if you get the hang of it they are a blast

50 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

They are rather tail happy especially wit brushless power but if you get the hang of it they are a blast

I was most surprised with how sharp the steering is, it's very responsive. Very easy to over-steer and do donuts

Schumacher vee4 tyres with tubby blue inserts transform the handling.

Vee2 tyres with the same inserts on the front work well too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bromley said:

Schumacher vee4 tyres with tubby blue inserts transform the handling.

Vee2 tyres with the same inserts on the front work well too.

thanks, ill try to find and get those. I just tried out my new 4200 nimh battery ( I usually use 3000 nimh) and wow, its a loot faster and harder to control