smirk-racing

Tamiya TBLE-02S ESC questions / discoveries (3s operation?)

I have long shied away from the ESC supplied with many of Tamiya's kits because all my Lipos are 3s, and not only does the TBLE-02 not officially support Lipos (wrong voltage cut-off) it also has a stated rating of only 7.2v (i.e. sufficient for 2s operation only).

By accident, while moving electronics from one chassis to another, I lost track of which ESC I was using, and plugged a 3s lipo (LiHV in fact) into my TBLE-02S. I powered up and went on my way (I was expecting the speed bump, I had just forgotten the esc didn't support that voltage). Far from dying in a puff of magic smoke, the ESC did just fine, and I only discovered the problem 30 min later (after a long run). Given what happened, I tried again, and the ESC worked just fine. As far as I can tell in two test runs, the TBLE-02s seems 'ok' with 3s LiHV voltage (13.05v at max).

Has anyone else run 3s on the TBLE-02 ESC? I realize that the spec sheet clearly states 2s, but given I wasn't going to use these ESCs anyway, I am willing to keep going in the name of science. Curious if anyone else already knows the answer though.

Of note: the chassis is light (GF-01) and the motor is the kit motor. So the amp draw and overall load on the ESC are pretty tame. Given that, I wonder if this set-up will continue to work just like a 7.2v set-up would have worked. If the ESC components couldn't handle 12.6v (slightly more in fact) they should have fried immediately, right?

By way of contrast, I have a space Traxxas mini brushless esc (VXL-3m) and if it experiences voltage even a hair over 12.6 volts it won't work. If you take the LiHV battery, run it down to 12.59v, you can pop it right back in with that ESC, and it works fine. Obviously the limitation is in software, but my point is, these ESCs seem like they can safely accept higher voltages than that their specs state, IF one is willing to accept the risk of magic smoke etc.

It is usually amps rather than volts that kill electronics. If the current daw is low enough, ESCs can often withstand surprising voltages. No guarantees though!

• Like 1

Yup. There's no problem with the tble 02s running on 3s. I tend to put a bec on though. The older teu101bk also has no issues on 3s. I had one with a silver can as well. Countless runs on it. With a bec too. The silver can 540s are lovely on 3s

Tempted to try a TBLE02s with 3s in conjunction with a silver can. 

Will the inbuilt BEC still supply the receiver with the correct voltage, or will I need a dedicated BEC?

They tried 3s on the Tamiya Legends page a while back and for it worked fine-

On 3/16/2020 at 2:57 AM, smirk-racing said:

IF one is willing to accept the risk of magic smoke etc.

I think that's the nail on the head,  IF.

If it states 3s on the box, and it goes fizz, it's a warranty claim, plus a reputation of bad escs, so easier to print 2s on the box.

I've noticed that, with the 1060 escs.

Hobbywing have one rating, and others that use the 1060 (Carson Dragster esc) have a different rating.

With the tble02s, I'm not sure what voltage the RX is getting, some modern escs will take a higher voltage, whilst older ones won't, might be worth measuring the voltage on the RX?

Yeah, will just meter it I guess, see what it puts out.

FWIW, receiver reckons it will take 4 to 10v, so maybe it will handle 11v...!