Claypole

Motor Upgrade?

After a couple of aborted runs (deep puddle and a poor decision involving a skate park), I finally managed to give my first ever RC car a proper run this weekend, and got through two batteries and had about an hour of fun.

The car is a standard Sand Viper running on a 3500mah NIMH, and using a steel 17 tooth pinion with the standard silver can motor. The speed of it is perfect for learning on, but I’m already feeling the need for more power. 

There seems to be a variety of options available with brushless motors, with maybe a new ESC or keeping the TBLE-02, but the cheapest upgrade appears to be a brushed Sport Tuned motor. It’s not much more than £20, so would this provide a decent enough upgrade, or would I be better off going straight to brushless?

i realise this has been discussed many times in the past (I have searched), but a lot of discussions online are quite old and often link to products that aren’t available any more.

I would go straight to a 13.5T brushless, don't muck around with brushed motors as the TBLE-02S can't run low turn brushed motors anyway.

I have no idea on the gearing you can get on a Sand Viper but you'll most likely want to run the biggest pinion you can fit with a 13.5T motor, they have a lot of torque

• Like 2

I run my DT-02 Desert Gator (same car as Sand Viper apart from the shell) on a TBLE-02 ESC and 13.5t Bluebottle motor, with a 19t steel pinion. It absolutely flies! I think you'd be very happy with the performance of your car running the same setup.

• Like 3

Cheers for the suggestions, I think I might get one of those Bluebottle motors. I presume I would solder the wires straight onto those connectors on the motor?

Also, I know I’ll need a sensor cable, can anybody recommend one that will be long enough, please?  

More voltage gives a bigger rev-range. And will teach better throttle control. 

Gotta get a 3s lipo. Fit some spacers under battery lid with longer screws and try a bigger battery. 

Maybe brushless first, then lipo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

More voltage gives a bigger rev-range. And will teach better throttle control. 

Gotta get a 3s lipo. Fit some spacers under battery lid with longer screws and try a bigger battery. 

Maybe brushless first, then lipo.

I am considering a lipo, but maybe just a 2s to start with. Any recommendations for a 2s that will fit in the battery compartment ok?

I used to have the DT02 and I scored a deal that someone on here posted. Turnigy 4000mah 2s 7.4volts, got 4 for a tenner. Couldn't believe it when I tried to buy more and it was £60+ for the same item. 

But something around that capacity should fit fine, take some measurements first to make sure.  I don't have this chassis anymore but I believe you can increase the height of the battery compartment by adding spacers under the lid.

• Like 1