BP2411

Stupid battery question

Apologies in advance everyone 🤣 I bought these batteries on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/vod/FetchOrderDetails?itemId=372902738574&transactionId=1175023998024

They're listed as 3500mah but they only charge to 2000mah, now before I message the seller I need expert advice. I've been out of the loop for many years but I did buy an imax b6 charger, I did recently purchase a job lot on ebay which came with another charger but this doesn't have an lcd read out, if I charge using this how do I check what capacity it's charged to? 

Again apologies for this 😂

Does the charger have a maximum mAh  setting, ie it will stop charging after putting a certain of mAh into the battery? Might be worth double checking.

I would fully charge the battery and then run a discharge cycle the imax b6, to test the actual capacity.

I've set the charger to 3500 but it only ever reaches 2000 on the various discharge & charge cycles on both batteries, I have another charger but it doesn't have a screen so I can't check what it's capacity it's charged to. 

33 minutes ago, BP2411 said:

I've set the charger to 3500 but it only ever reaches 2000 on the various discharge & charge cycles on both batteries, I have another charger but it doesn't have a screen so I can't check what it's capacity it's charged to. 

The 3500ma you've set is the charging current, and is essentially how quickly you want to charge the battery. The charger will supply 3500ma to the battery until it deects the battery is fully charged, and then the process is terminated. 

However, I believe this charger has a setting in the menu called something like 'Maximum charge capacity'. This is the maximum amount of charge the charger will put into the battery, and is measured in mAh. You may have set the charge rate at 3500ma, but if the maximum charge capacity is set to 2000mah, the the charger will terminate once it's put that amount of charge into to the battery, regardless of whether it's fully charged or not, (probably after about 35-40 mins, instead of an hour?).

I'm a bit of noob myself when it comes to charging RC car battery packs, so I could be totally wrong, but it won't hurt to check the settings.

So I've been using the charger wrong... I did title this thread "stupid battery question" 😂

35 minutes ago, BP2411 said:

So I've been using the charger wrong... I did title this thread "stupid battery question" 😂

Was it the 'Maximum charge capacity' setting? 

There was a setting that said that, it had the option to increase it or turn it off, I've increased it but I have to be up at 4 a.m. for work so I'll have to wait til tomorrow to check but I assume so.   On 3500mah batteries what should I be setting the charging current as? 

10 minutes ago, BP2411 said:

There was a setting that said that, it had the option to increase it or turn it off, I've increased it but I have to be up at 4 a.m. for work so I'll have to wait til tomorrow to check but I assume so.   On 3500mah batteries what should I be setting the charging current 

3500ma is the highest you can safely charge. The maximum charge capacity might need to be a bit higher though, because some of the power is lost as heat, so it will take a little bit more than 3500mAh to fully charge the battery.

If you're new to battery charging, I would strongly recommend reading up on the subject, and also study the charger manual.

Just charged one with the charger set to 3500 mah, can't remember what speed it was set to but it got to 2902 mah so I'm getting there 🤣