Grumpy pants

The Most Complicated Tamiya Kit?

My boss wants to build the most complicated Tamiya kit currently available as we are going to be working from home soon.

What would you recommend? 

Off the shelf and out of the box, standard build. 

All the best

Simon 

I would say for car/truck, you are looking at a CR-01, High Lift, Bruiser/Mountain Rider, or TXT-2.  

Also any of the big rigs or tanks if he/she is into that.

• Like 2

Gotta be either the Bruiser/Mountain Rider Chassis, at around £650, or a tank, at around £K's.

Building a Bruiser at the moment, and its fantastic build. The 3 Speed box a fantastic piece of engineering, and the diff's are awesome.

You can really take your time over the body too. Check my thread on here. :) (About to be updated too :) )

• Like 2

Or a TRF420/419? The TRF kits are completely different, the quality is amazing.

Even the TA07 is a decent build compared to the entry level cars and cheaper, at least to buy...

• Like 3

Complicated 🤔

Tell him find a tb01 and every hop for it. 

Very very complicated 😂

• Like 3

At the top end price wise, the tanks for sure. After that I would say a 1/14th truck with MFC unit. Having built 2 of the trucks I would say there is more to build than any of the car kits. Sorting out the lights and wiring is like another kit,then the sounds and lights need to be setup on the transmitter.

• Like 1

First question - does that include the bodywork ?

Some are obviously way harder than others ?

In terms of the chassis, old school 3 Speeds are tricky because everything is metal + needs manual adjustment (bending) then threadlock ...

Not sure they’re the most challenging build thought ?

I’d bid the 959 - for both chassis + body 

Its a technical masterpiece but took way longer to build then any 3 Speed or TRF

And the body is ... well, beyond me but chassis x2 for those with talent 😂

• Like 2

The TRF cars are nice, but they are not as complicated as the bruiser.  They are a special build and the three speed box is a challenge in itself. I also have built a 959 but I would in no way say it is as detailed as the bruiser.

• Like 1

In terms of the chassis, old school 3 Speeds are tricky because everything is metal + needs manual adjustment (bending) then threadlock ...

Not sure they’re the most challenging build though ?

Its a technical masterpiece but took way longer to build then any 3 Speed or TRF

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Not sure they’re the most challenging build though ?

i built two bruisers and didn't need to bend the parts...^^'

• Like 1

I'd put a vote in for the Avante or CR-01. Both overly complicated for their intended use but really well engineered. 

• Like 1

OOH, yeah. Avante. That was a good build. Although I have to say getting the rear trailing arms right on the Egress was more complicated than the Avante.

Overall though, the Avante was more technical.

• Like 1

I vote for the Bruiser, Avante/Egress, TRF418/419/420. Complicated but very well engineered as mentioned.

• Like 1

To the OP:

For an on-road car that's fun to drive, the FF-03 looks a little complicated but gets even more complicated once you start upgrading it. From the IFS upgrade parts, to the adjustment options of the rear suspension and wheelbase, to the gearbox when upgrading to gear diff (lots of parts needs upgrading too including the gearbox case).

• Like 1

tipper%20truck_zpsmr7y48x0.jpg

MFC_zpsvglov6xw.jpg

tipper_zpsyzcnbet8.jpg

These 3 combo in one tipper truck. Most complicated build that I am sort of working on at moment. More compolicated than CR-01 or the old 3 speed or even with the modern 3 speed + MFC. Have not built any tanks so cannot comment

• Like 3

I don't know if I'd call the CR01 complicated.  There's just a lot of it to do.  Still a great build, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blista said:

I don't know if I'd call the CR01 complicated. 

Yeah, I'd call it tricky more than complicated (compared to the likes of the Bruiser). Lots and lots of extra holes mean you really have to carefully study the manual to make sure you're putting the screw in the right one. Plus all those wonderful rim screws!.

• Haha 1

any thing i build is flippn' complicated :lol: oh not the kits just me:o

1/14th scale trucks are not complicated (just the MF'er (MFU), it's really more time consuming then anything else i've built, add some smoke, and lighting for days.

i like wire looming every thing as much as possible that takes time, hiding and routing.

• Like 1

The Bruiser gets my vote.  From assembling the 3 speed to , assembling the chassis, to the super fidily shocks, and painting the highly detailed body the Bruiser was a very challenging and rewarding build. 

• Like 1

The Bruiser gets my vote.  From assembling the 3 speed to , assembling the chassis, to the super fidily shocks, and painting the highly detailed body the Bruiser was a very challenging and rewarding build. 

On 3/16/2020 at 7:00 PM, svenb said:

Complicated 🤔

Tell him find a tb01 and every hop for it. 

Very very complicated 😂

Well that depends on who you are 😉😉🤣🤣

Has he ever built any RC car? Even the simplest could be complicated if its your first?