loco_oso

Recommend a Car for a Friend?

Yet again another "what car should I choose" thread - my apologies in advance. I have a good friend of mine who wants to get into R/C. We've discussed it and he's given me the following criterion:

1) Prefers an off-road, 1:10 scale electric buggy.

2) Will be used to run around the front and back yard, in the cul-de-sac, etc. No major bashing or racing.

3) Wants RTR to get going as soon as possible. I could probably convince him to get a kit if I help him build it. 

4) Prefers something easier to maintain and drive. He is just getting started into the hobby and doesn't want anything too complicated.

5) Is on the fence about 2WD or 4WD. Thoughts on this would be appreciated. I have both but I'm not sure what to recommend.

6) Thinks that something that looks futuristic (vs. vintage) would be neat. 

Any brand is fine, but I think it would be best to have something with decent aftermarket/replacement support. I'm not too familiar with many modern buggies (TT-02B I guess?), so any help would be great. Thanks!

2wd are easier to maintain than 4wd, they've one less gear box to worry about, and also cheaper (you've not mentioned a budget?) 

I think the DT03 Neo Fighter, can't be beaten for an entry level car, capable car out of the box, not complicated, comes with a brushed/brushless esc and a torque tuned motor as standard, and loads of hop ups.

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-Neo-Fighter-Buggy-DT-03-Bausatz-58587

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, loco_oso said:

Yet again another "what car should I choose" thread - my apologies in advance. I have a good friend of mine who wants to get into R/C. We've discussed it and he's given me the following criterion:

1) Prefers an off-road, 1:10 scale electric buggy.

2) Will be used to run around the front and back yard, in the cul-de-sac, etc. No major bashing or racing.

3) Wants RTR to get going as soon as possible. I could probably convince him to get a kit if I help him build it. 

4) Prefers something easier to maintain and drive. He is just getting started into the hobby and doesn't want anything too complicated.

5) Is on the fence about 2WD or 4WD. Thoughts on this would be appreciated. I have both but I'm not sure what to recommend.

6) Thinks that something that looks futuristic (vs. vintage) would be neat. 

Any brand is fine, but I think it would be best to have something with decent aftermarket/replacement support. I'm not too familiar with many modern buggies (TT-02B I guess?), so any help would be great. Thanks!

rtr, little maintenance, ... i recommend traxxas trx4 sport

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I think the DT03 Neo Fighter, can't be beaten for an entry level car, capable car out of the box, not complicated, comes with a brushed/brushless esc and a torque tuned motor as standard, and loads of hop ups.

I'm only tamiya biased as I've never had any other brand (other than Mardave...) but I'm behind this. Only thing I would advise is using a glue to glue the two chassis halves together before screwing it together; before I did this I snapped a couple of chassis in the nose, since doing this it hasn't been a problem. A great choice other than that!

• Like 1

The DT03 is great, but i would strongly recommend kit version. XB RTR come with the plastic bearings so you'll only have to strip it to install proper bearings anyway. 

If doing the kit there a couple of little things that make a massive difference. Firstly the kit front tyres are junk. Buy something schumacher or proline which is appropriate for the surface you are running on. Secondly, buy a strip of those self adhesive full size car wheel balance weights for a couple of quid. Stash a few inside the chassis at the very front before screwing together then stick the rest on the outside around the front. With 50-60 grams of weight on the front it transforms the handling. Oh, and if you are building from a kit may as well get the 19t steel pinion hop up. Other than that, run and enjoy. 

• Like 2

Agree with all that Thunder Dragon has said, although if you are after a laugh don't put too much weight on the front, its a wheely machine, especially when you go brushless...

Another vote for DT03 - partly because they're a good basher buggy but also because you get so much car for the money.  Less than £100 in some UK sellers is an absolute steal considering the spec, IMO.  If I didn't already have one I'd buy.  

Two body styles to choose from, both trend more towards vintage IMO (the Racing Fighter IMO looks like a modern take on the Fox).  If you want futuristic looks then you can't get more futuristic than the TT02B Dual Ridge.

If you can, I would convince him to go with a kit.  If you build it with him, he might realise that building and maintaining an RC car isn't nearly as hard as people who insist on going RTR seem to think it is.

Wow, thank you all for the responses. Looks like the DT-03 is a popular choice then. Any thoughts about other makes like Kyosho, Losi, Associated etc? I like the Traxxas truck but don't think he wants to head in that direction atm. Also, how is the TT-02B? I was looking at that one too. 

Not really sure about budget, but I'm guessing sub $300 for kit plus running gear (minus battery and charger) would be a good ballpark. That would include necessary upgrades out of the box if needed as well, like bearings. 

• Like 1

Traxxas Bandit is the first thing that comes to mind. Cheap, buggy, RTR, virtually indestructible, and looks like a spaceship painted by Andy Warhol.

Tamiya I class as, hobby grade, fairly cheap and great fun.

Kyosho are the next level up, hobby/racer grade , around double the price,  but a so much better buggy.

Team Associated/ Schumacher are race machines, carbon/titainium and aircraft grade aluminium a plenty, you don't get and elecs or tyres in the kit, it's rare you get wheels Tbh. Actually not much more than a kyosho kit, but you'll need to wheels etc , so the price jumps a bit.

Traxxas , i know nothing about, dont seem to get many over here in the UK, (think I've only ever seen 1, and that was a 1/18 scale I think) 

I'd still say go for the DT03 , to start with....😉😁

The DT-03 is a great choice if going for 2WD, but the TT-02B is a good 4WD alternative. Especially if you go for the Dual Ridge, which ticks the "futuristic looks" box.

It isn't perfect - the diff ring gears struggle to handle jumps and/or more powerful motors, and the shock towers are very flexible which is great for damage resistance but not so great for handling. However both of these issues are quite easily sorted with the appropriate upgrades, and the rest of the chassis is pretty bomb-proof, great for beginner drivers and backyard bashing.

• Like 1

Don’t forget DT03-T👍 Better known as Aqroshot, some bargains around if you look. All the same upgrades as others, ie bearings, servo saver etc. I’m soon going to build one but with the addition of 13.5t brushless motor

• Like 2

Awesome. Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll pass it on to him and see what he thinks. I think I can convince him to get a kit it I help.