Sign in to follow this  
krisby

esc blocking servo

So my partner has had a few issues with her rere beetle. Firstly fixing the drive shaft problems,ultimately replacing with frog/brat parts.

However, perhaps our first mistake, not tamiyas design fault, is opting for a fast motor, namely a 17T, eventually working out the included Tamiya ESC can not cope with 17T motors, I think it peaks at 25T. So I chucked in one of my chinese ESCs that works in everything else I have, including a 19T. However, we then had different problems, cutting out after a few seconds. Turns out that ESC is also limited, so I found another one amongst my collection that can do low turn motors, again, a chinese one I'll admit (might stop buying them),  but it works perfectly on the throttle, with the now fixed axles and dog bones replaced, full speed is possible and it doesn't pop out after .5 second.

However, because of this fiddling with ESCs and motors I hadn't noticed when the servo stopped working. So the first servo I thought was faulty, so I bought another, also didn't work, I tested the servo on one of cars, perfectly fine. Tested my servo on her car, didn't work. So I thought it was her receiver, tried my receiver, didn't work. Tried a multitude of configurations across servos, ESCs, radios and came to the conclusion that the ESC is interfering with servo. 

So I've bought her a 23T motor, I'll put the black ESC back in (same as my baja) and I'm hoping that will be the end of it. I'm just staggered, I've never seen an ESC affect a servo before. I even run this gold ESC in another car, maybe even 2, without issue. I guess I jsut found the right configuration....that was the wrong configuration.