ufmech

King Cab Modern Transmission

I'm in the midst of restoring a King Cab and have seen the numerous options for vintage transmissions off ebay (thorp, rc10 stealth).  In lieu of buying one of these off ebay has anyone had any luck with putting a modern transmission from any current RC models into the KC successfully?  I see a lot of rc10 stealth transmissions on ebay for $60 or less but has anyone bought one of these used and had issues with it?  Looking for some options from anyone who's successfully restored their KC.  Everything else on it is in great shop but unless I have a functional transmission I'm not sure it will ever see the dirt again.  

Thanks for any advice, tips, etc..

Jason

I run the stealth in my Childhood monster racer highly recommend the upgrade, however the kit to install it is hard to find now. 

The Kingcab that I restored for my son runs the Rere Super Astute TTC, that'd be my recommendation due to ease of getting parts for it and 100 percent Tamiya. 

Thanks for the info on the Rere Super Astute TTC; did you buy a whole kit and then just extract the transmission or were you able to buy just the transmission from a local hobby shop?  Thanks again.  

5 hours ago, ufmech said:

Thanks for the info on the Rere Super Astute TTC; did you buy a whole kit and then just extract the transmission or were you able to buy just the transmission from a local hobby shop?  Thanks again.  

I pieced the TTC together from Tamiya USA, they don't sell it as a kit this time around. 

7 hours ago, GTodd said:

I pieced the TTC together from Tamiya USA, they don't sell it as a kit this time around. 

Thank you; I'll check that option out and see how it works out.  Appreciate your help!  

2 hours ago, ufmech said:

Thank you; I'll check that option out and see how it works out.  Appreciate your help!  

It's the best option, I built mine with some diff putty, works super well, and is completely bomb proof!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wondering how this worked out for you. Where you able to get the parts from Tamiya USA? I'm rebuilding an old KC of mine too.. I broke the bank and got the Thorp off of eBay.. just waiting on it now.  

IMG_9880.jpeg

@TonyH - still piecing it together; it's a slow process and have had better luck finding the pieces on eBay as opposed to going straight to Tamiya.  Congrats on the thorp; if I had a couple hundred lying around I'd do the same.  

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 1:18 AM, ufmech said:

When I priced up all the individual parts with Tamiya UK, including the A tree since the gearbox housing between the original king cab and rere super astute are slightly different, it was about 2/3 the price of a complete super astute. So I bought the kit and have the remainder as spares for the other super astute runner.

Can get a good deal if US based as some sellers on the auction sites have grouped gearbox / slipper kits from parted out kits together for reasonable prices.

Thorp Diff is in from cty300! Just FYI he accepted my bid of $150 for it in case you were considering it. Also got my screws from RCScrewz. Well worth it if you’re missing some. Just note that certain parts like shock tower collars aren’t included. 

image.jpg