Hobgoblin

Doom & Gloomerang - Boomerang RestoMod

Thanks for your Kind words on my 2001. Still not finished completely, but doing some test drives already in the garden. Color is the "bright gunmetal" from Tamiya.

Have another 2001 for the shelf in boxart, so I wanted to go a little different on the runner. Your steering mod is brillliant, seems to work very fine.

Hope you get some further progress, very cool mods so far. Don´t worry about the multiple color, function before looks.:D

I think I have a gunmetal paint somewhere, not sure if it is bright though. Am considering this for my shell main colour now.

The lovely @KEV THE REV sent me some ball joints today so I was able to finish up the main chassis links. I also have fitted the painfully cheap black shocks at the rear. With no oil in them at the moment they feel deceptively good. I would bet good money they will leak as all cheapies seem to do, however. 

lyhiyTx.jpg?1

52RTzyr.jpg?1

oDVoiEp.jpg?1

Very pleased with the look. Also impressed with the ICE brand of ABS filament. It prints very cleanly and has a good quality.  

• Like 2

Looks great . I've got a few sets of these cheap shox and I think they're ok , or at least they look good . I've had other UK sourced 'cheap' shox for more money and they leaked from the moment I filled them , time will tell I guess . 

5 hours ago, Hobgoblin said:

I think I have a gunmetal paint somewhere, not sure if it is bright though. Am considering this for my shell main colour now.

The lovely @KEV THE REV sent me some ball joints today so I was able to finish up the main chassis links. I also have fitted the painfully cheap black shocks at the rear. With no oil in them at the moment they feel deceptively good. I would bet good money they will leak as all cheapies seem to do, however. 

lyhiyTx.jpg?1

52RTzyr.jpg?1

oDVoiEp.jpg?1

Very pleased with the look. Also impressed with the ICE brand of ABS filament. It prints very cleanly and has a good quality.  

Looking very good in black now! The bright gunmetal is not so old, color Code is PS63. the usual gunmetal is a lot darker and quite old, being the boxart of the Top Force Evolution. You see it quite easily, if you have the rattle can cap...

6elDrHi.jpg

My sheet of HIPS finally arrived so I could chop it up to make a pretend chassis. I am impressed with the stiffness of the chassis as a whole even as it is. The plastic has the same structural integrity as sharp cheddar but with the bars in place it;s actually not too much of a bend fest. It's rigid enough to let the suspension work - maybe I can get a test run out of this!

lnvyxpN.jpg

The body sits as it should, however without the standard tub chassis it does look perhaps a bit high but not quite so mighty. Funny how this works. I think I will wait until I have a new polycarbonate body to see if any of my immediate sins can be hidden with creative trimming. Failing that i will develop an undertray or side pods that clip on to hide my shame. 

• Like 3

So today was carbon day, I dug out my Dremel which I took with me from my last job. Unfortunately I forgot to liberate some cutting discs alongside so I had to make do. 

7bfRxIF.jpg?1

lV4Fzpb.jpg?1

I miss having a workshop, or any proper work surface so badly. I had to make do with the rather gritty dumping ground of the front porch - where I do most of my painting. It came out pretty well! fairly happy with that.

wsI3zjz.jpg?1

Fits around the rear gearbox nicely! 

NDiMm1o.jpg?1

4OEuZSO.jpg?1

Happy days! It's still needs a trim off the front but I'll save that for later when I've worked out bumper placement and material.

The chassis is remarkably stiff now with the carbon fibre and the rods. I can't wait to see how it drives, looking hopeful! Next job is to set up the rear shocks and fit a shorter spring on the front one to try and lower the front slightly. I might play around with oils too. I have a TBLE-02 coming soon, managed to snag a bargain so that will be making it's way into this with a little work. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hobgoblin said:

So today was carbon day, I dug out my Dremel which I took with me from my last job. Unfortunately I forgot to liberate some cutting discs alongside so I had to make do. 

7bfRxIF.jpg?1

lV4Fzpb.jpg?1

I miss having a workshop, or any proper work surface so badly. I had to make do with the rather gritty dumping ground of the front porch - where I do most of my painting. It came out pretty well! fairly happy with that.

wsI3zjz.jpg?1

Fits around the rear gearbox nicely! 

NDiMm1o.jpg?1

4OEuZSO.jpg?1

Happy days! It's still needs a trim off the front but I'll save that for later when I've worked out bumper placement and material.

The chassis is remarkably stiff now with the carbon fibre and the rods. I can't wait to see how it drives, looking hopeful! Next job is to set up the rear shocks and fit a shorter spring on the front one to try and lower the front slightly. I might play around with oils too. I have a TBLE-02 coming soon, managed to snag a bargain so that will be making it's way into this with a little work. 

Very cool with your homemade carbon chassis, turned out very well! Looking really mean already, really curious about the next updates!

V8inm5O.jpg?1

Brushless motor finally added! I carefully peeled the sports tuned sticker off a burnt motor and re applied it to the brushless can rather smart if i do say so myself. 

P7iXC68.jpg?1

I spent a little while rewiring the esc to have less colourful wires, I would have taken it a step further and made the battery positive grey also, but I could see myself making a rather explosive error like this, so red remains. I have ordered some all black servo wire to change that out also. I have had this setup running and it is lovely and smooth, just need to get a new sensor cable as one of my darling pet rats ate mine.

yeXPXCv.jpg?1

ESC is pretty much complete save an on/off switch.

• Like 2

Very cool progress, respect, that it worked to transfer the motor sticker! And great work on the ESC, did you have to scratch of the epoxy on the ESC to resolder the wires? Looking very clean and like a well thought out color Concept now!:)

I found that the epoxy on my board was rather stiff and crumbly anyway in the areas I required so I just burned on through it like a caveman with the iron and tried not to breath it in. 

The sensor cable & servo lead came so I was able to finish the wiring and get it all squared away. Was a pretty easy job as I'd measured the distance for the lead quite accurately and its a fairly easy bit of routing. Love the Core RC sensor leads, full silicone wire and shroud. Super flexible and durable. I then popped open the servo to do some minor aesthetic brain surgery. 

iLz9ar8.jpg?1

Gone is the ****htfully garish yellow orange brown, and in with black black and black. 

JauntyUltimateAnaconda-size_restricted.g

I also replaced the RC plug on the ESC because the tamiya wire is absolutely dire stuff. Feels like straw and has similar flexible properties. Was replaced with some softer stuff  which was a  bit shorter. I need to tuck in a bit better under the steering servo before it gets run - same goes for the on off switch! I also found time to paint up the front drive hubs in the Kobra grey and it looks rather lovely. I will need to do something about the battery decal though. 

HiYpdJu.jpg?1

Na7QIrX.jpg?1

Next to it's younger, more agile brother the Mock Force. I do really like shaft driven 4wd cars. 

xLYiotX.jpg?1

Very happy with it so far, it's very smooth and responsive on the throttle and the steering is pretty good considering it's built out of guesswork, spit and prayers. 

• Like 4

Well I bit the bullet and finally ordered a body! A genuine Tamiya one too. With postage, it was only a pound cheaper to buy a penguin reproduction so I figured why not. It will bring the average Tamiya parts count back up :P
I have some "Bright Gun Metal" in the same order too. Thanks to @ruebiracer for the inspiration there!

9805172.jpg

Hopefully it comes exactly like the Modelsport product photo so I can trim it less than stock and if it covers more of my buggies shame.  I have to really think now about what would look good decal wise, I might need some custom vinyl or masking cut outs, any suggestions for UK sources or people for this?

• Like 1

ZsdmJtd.jpg?1

Shell arrived and is (very) roughly trimmed I got lucky and got it exactly as pictured, with MSC cover and a strange flap too? Wonder why these were included on the re release. I think it looks okay with the long side flaps. I am quite happy I managed to get the angle of the base pretty spot on to the taper of the bodyshell! 

I have some vinyl masking coming in the post for some of the cool bits but the rest will be nearly all masked and painted by hand. I must try and take my time with this one. 

After saying I wouldn't rush it...
Masking was a bit of a pain. The difference a sharp knife makes though! 
4gIbYUD.jpg?1

I was able to use the existing body as a template to get the 'wave' in the right place

M1dLCEQ.jpg?1

Came out rather well. The main chassis colour is Bright gunmetal, with the dark portions being normal gunmetal and the lines and backing being regular black. I think I've got away without having to plump for decals! The untrimmed sides also do hide the chassis rather well too without looking too odd - The boomerang is a very tall car, luckily this didn't make it look too unfortunate.

zPb9RDZ.jpg?1

Suitably gloomy still, it's like a wet Wednesday afternoon in there!

3Za3cOL.jpg?1

Everything lined up rather well, even if there are lots of small niggles and mistakes with the paint. It's all usable and you shouldn't notice it from 20 meters away when its bombing about the park. I will need to get a bumper made for it when i do come to run it but it does look rather good without one! 

• Like 3

On 3/21/2020 at 7:32 PM, Hobgoblin said:

I did a test fit of the arms and fitted out the gearboxes with bearings. Only part i'm stuck on is the thrust bearings but with the help of a little Shenzhen magic (not a joke over the current tragedy unfolding) I have something that might solve it.

h0csaq3.jpg

I also broke out the wheel & tire combo I'm wanting to use on this car

bQZe9pR.jpg 

With tire writing because I've become one of those people.

I have roughly designed a front bumper which is being printed currently. Still have the hassle of sorting out the steering and drawing up a rear shock tower. 

Looks great. What are the wheels and tyres please?

• Like 1

Thanks they are optima reproduction wheels from JC racing. These are my absolute favourite wheels.
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/jc-racing-products-kyosho-optima-pepper-pot-black-4-/rc-car-products/439081

I have also got these in white on my Mock Force DF01

xjqpWxD.jpg

The tires are fastrax turf rippers 
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-1-10-turf-ripper-4wd-front-tyre-t1-compound/rc-car-products/37029

• Thanks 1

Great result with the paintjob, like the 2 tone gunmetal theme. It looks really mean, this machine!:)

Will you add some little stickers, or keep it in this "clean" look?

I relly wished MCI would offer some Tamiyaclub stickers!:D

Thanks! Yes the paint is quite effective, I am glad the idea translated okay from my head to the real world. 

I am thinking less us more with regards to decals. I will try and fit some black & white ones if anything. Not sure if it will detract and look busy too easily.  

Tamiya club decals would be ace! 

Thanks for the comments on the Mock Force, it started life as a OG Manta Ray and slowly became more and more like a top force (carbon chassis, ball differential, prop shaft etc) with a Racecraft body.  I need to get some more decals for this, plus a wing. Honestly I'm tempted to get another body to try a different paint scheme using some bright gun metal :D

• Like 1

I really like this build, it reminds me of my carbon RC-10 chassis from back in the day.  

I went a different route to stiffen the ABS tub, it has 8 points of attachment and makes the frame super rigid for not much weight.  It is a pain to get on and off though

15912388001005857806379938260014.jpg

• Like 1

I run it as a basher...not to race.  You can probably see some of my recent damage.

Could you share your 3D printing gearbox holders?  Maybe upload to thingyverse?

Best,

Ben