GTodd

Who finally got a Clod due to the Black Special?

Man after 30 some years I finally have a clod. I tried to order the Black Special but everyone was out of stock, and I was impatient.  So i ordered the blue version and the red parts from the Black Special. Installed (2) sets of Rere Hicaps.  Painted in Tamiya Mica Red, had left over cans from my Mounty. Not my best job, I'll do another one, this is good for a runner that my son can bash around.  LOVE IT!

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200318161303760_COVER.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

How is the spring rate on the hicaps?

Also, who still has them in stock?, I only have 3 pairs. #sadface . US location.

2 hours ago, geniusanthony said:

How is the spring rate on the hicaps?

Also, who still has them in stock?, I only have 3 pairs. #sadface . US location.

Perfect!!! I started with the collars preloaded half way down the bodies, was way too stiff, they are preloaded now about 1/4".  Tamiya USA has them. Get them while you can!!! I purchased 10, I've already used 4 sets! 

To make these Rere Hicaps work for the Clod I had to use the shock shafts from my left over long cva shocks from previous king can projects. 

The Rere Hicaps come with two different shocks shaft lengths. 

I've been considering getting one for a while, but went with an SMT10 initially because I wanted something that was going to offer a more modern driving experience.  Still seriously considering one as a shelfer - I have never owned or driven a standard Clod.  OK, I bought an NIB Super Clod well over a decade ago, but I only wanted the axles for one project and the body for another; the rest got sold.  A mate is selling up his collection and tells me he has 90% of a clod in bits in his loft that I may take off his hands later in the year.  The release (along with the return of the SMT10) has definitely reignited my passion for monster trucks but not necessarily caused me to transfer any cash to Tamiya...

Having finally purchased one, they are a must. With oil shocks , and a bigger servo saver they become and absolute blast to drive. 

In all honesty, I got my Black simply because it was a "special edition".  That stemmed from when I was looking around for a pink metallic body set for a TT-02B.  Couldn't find one anywhere.  When I got my DT-03 I got the green metallic special,  just to have the special body and wheels.  It also doesn't hurt that the DT-03 and Clod special editions were actually cheaper than the standard versions at the time of purchase.

Im seriously itching to get the black clod! I have the money, found one well priced then the wife said that with all the Covid-19 situation would it not be better to save any money we can?!

now I’m in a moral dilemma, my head says she’s right- you never know when you might need that money for essentials. My heart says buy the clod, you’ve got an indefinite amount of weeks stuck inside!

does anybody else think like this or just me?

I held off on the recent Tamico deal on the CR01 & now I’m glad I did. Hard to justify another toy right now (with half a dozen unbuilt in the wardrobe!)