Saito2

What would you do? virus question

How's things with you now @Saito2 ?

We are fine now, still none the wiser if we've had it or not, guess we never will.

Hope everyone you work with has now settled down, and taking things seriously.

• Thanks 1

Very glad to hear you and your wife have recovered. How long did it last? Work has settled but about 15% of the workers still refuse to wear mask. There is no distancing, so folks are on top of each other. We seem to be running out of sanitizers. This week the company tried to somewhat push the use of mask, so the 15%ers started wearing them...around their necks. Conspiracy theories about the Illuminati, aliens or the liberals creating the pandemic specifically to hurt the orange man in the white house are still rampant. People never cease to amaze me. Thank you for your concern and again, relieved to hear all is well with you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Saito2 said:

How long did it last?

I was just under a week in bed, but it was 2 days after that, when I lost taste and smell, but back to normal now, whatever normal is?!?! 

The wife is still tired, but she's home schooling a 3 and a 5yr old, and my 3yr old isnt settling at night, effects the wee ones more than we realise, so not sure if tiredness is a symptom of a virus or just life atm!! 🤷‍♂️

Next door to us, keep having people around for BBQ's and also groups gathering in the clearing next to the river behind us, we used to get angry, but it didn't help either of us, so just ignore it now, Luckly our property is of a size, we can distance quite well.

9 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Conspiracy theories about the Illuminati, aliens or the liberals creating the pandemic

There's been a thing about 5G network towers in the UK,  people seemingly thinking a wavelength can cause a living coronavirus, and burning the towers down !?! , just don't know if it's a coping mechanism of some people? 

I wanted to reply to this topic because I fix medical equipment. I'm in covid patient rooms almost daily. I'm not scared of it. You should not be either. Life go's on. Wash your hands a lot. Social distance for the good of others, but live your lives. I recently bought a stack of new RC's to keep me sane, or maybe I've gone insane... either way build more RC sheot!  :-)

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 8:36 PM, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

I wanted to reply to this topic because I fix medical equipment. I'm in covid patient rooms almost daily. I'm not scared of it. You should not be either. Life go's on. Wash your hands a lot. Social distance for the good of others, but live your lives. I recently bought a stack of new RC's to keep me sane, or maybe I've gone insane... either way build more RC sheot!  :-)

There's still plenty of unknowns concerning the virus.  Now children are getting sick after having it.  In my area, NY/NJ we've had children die from it this past week.  I don't want to bring something that's still pretty much a mystery at this point home to my wife and kid.  80k deaths in a little over two months is pretty insane,  and that's with major stay at home and mitigation precautions in place.  A friend of mine is an anesthesiologist at one of our big hospitals, and despite wearing full PPE everyday he just got diagnosed positive and he brought it home so now his wife is positive too.  They have two kids under 4 years old.  Too many unknowns for me at this point to let my guard down. 

• Like 2

Be diligent, Saito2.  You have a tough situation with your employer, population density, and number of cases where you live.  Wash and sanitize frequently - shoes, hands, products you buy, everything.  Don't let your guard down or give up, keep protecting yourself and your family. It's terrifying and horrifying what's going on all over the world.  The conspiracy idiots responses are even more shocking. With the growing number of cases each day, you can never be too safe.

I live in LA area and have a similar situation.  I work every other day from home, my wife and 2 kids are home indefinitely, and I'm trying hard as badword to keep everything clean and healthy. 

• Like 2

What I can't get over is the relaxed attitude over keeping folks safe. Everyone has a mask now. Great. Too bad many people wear them minimally under their nose or worse, just around their neck. What good is that? The crazy part is watching people communicate. They move closer and closer to one another and then remove their mask and talk face to face.(!) Oh and BTW, the virus doesn't leave at lunch time so don't take of your mask off and sit side by side at the same lunch table. If the virus does get in (which the end of lock-down will surely speed up), its going to make short work of the plant. I wonder just what it will take for people to see that this isn't a joke or hoax. 

• Like 1

Yep.  I think this is all new to us in the West.  I do hope a vaccine is found, otherwise I struggle to see how our social ecosystem could return - pubs, events, meetings, dinner parties, handshakes. Crazy times we live in.  Who’d have thought this could happen 6 months ago!? :wacko:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saito2 said:

What I can't get over is the relaxed attitude over keeping folks safe. Everyone has a mask now. Great. Too bad many people wear them minimally under their nose or worse, just around their neck. What good is that? The crazy part is watching people communicate. They move closer and closer to one another and then remove their mask and talk face to face.(!) Oh and BTW, the virus doesn't leave at lunch time so don't take of your mask off and sit side by side at the same lunch table. If the virus does get in (which the end of lock-down will surely speed up), its going to make short work of the plant. I wonder just what it will take for people to see that this isn't a joke or hoax. 

totally agree!

The U.S. response to this pandemic has been nothing short of a complete disaster.  Lifting lockdowns too early is just shooting ourselves in the foot.  It's really pathetic.   The American attitude of "me, me. me" doesn't get anyone anywhere in a situation like this.  I really feel bad for the meat processing plants that were forced to remain open. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Finnsllc said:

hey @78Triumph beaches open tomorrow, lets go get nuts

I love the beach.  I've lived my entire life in NJ and going to the beach has always been a part of it, but I'm sitting this out for the time being.  I'll see how things are in a month or so and re-evaluate.

• Like 2

Been 10 days since the last post, so, how's everyone coping with new developments wherever you are? 

Physically, I've still got a cough, not as regular, but still got a different noise to it. My breath feels like I'm, breathing out acid (?), and if I breath gently, i can feel my throat burn, with a ,mettalic, taste ,but I've got acid reflux, so not sure that's part of it? Also starting to get ,tingly, numb and cold finger tips on my right hand, started with the little finger, and worked around onto the middle now, hoping it doesn't get to my ,steering thumb!! 😳

Mentally, been a struggle tbh. Working 80 hrs a week, (average was 72 last year) , I miss out on a fair bit, last Christmas was the first I'd spent with my kids, and my eldest is 5, so was actually looking forward & keeping fingers crossed, that I'd get to spend time with my family, but I didn't / haven't. Seems the whole world is, on holiday (?),so I've unfollowed a few friends on FB, the ones that are bored , painting with their kids, going for walks etc (to me, that's like lottery winners complaining of too much money).

I know there's people out there, that have lost loved ones, lost jobs and are harder hit, and i feel sorry for them.

Works back to full production, so I'm hoping I'll get a bit more time for RC and RC projects!! 🤞

• Like 3

The hospital that I work at, covid is no worse than common flu. The people who show symptoms here generally already have health issues. The covid only adds to what they are already dealing with.

Those with little to no health issues never have any serious problems from it. So based on my daily work experience, its all news media lies and propaganda about the claims of it being this "infectious killer". Our death rate is well below the claimed numbers said in the news. Here, those numbers are virtually identical to common flu.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Mentally, been a struggle tbh. Working 80 hrs a week, (average was 72 last year) , I miss out on a fair bit, last Christmas was the first I'd spent with my kids, and my eldest is 5, so was actually looking forward & keeping fingers crossed, that I'd get to spend time with my family, but I didn't / haven't. Seems the whole world is, on holiday (?),so I've unfollowed a few friends on FB, the ones that are bored , painting with their kids, going for walks etc (to me, that's like lottery winners complaining of too much money).

🤞

I had 4 days off at start of lockdown, then back to work. Not seen my kids for months. 

Fed up with driving home from work and seeing everyone out on bikes with their kids. 

But since I almost destroyed by eldest boys lunchbox, I bought a new kit, and I'm going to send the parts to build one step each week.

Inspired by the current back to the future car I saw advertised where first issue is 99p, then it's £1,999 per issue for the next 3 years and the model car ends up costing more than a real one, and it's missing a bit from issue 5 when you went on holiday.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

The hospital that I work at, covid is no worse than common flu. The people who show symptoms here generally already have health issues. The covid only adds to what they are already dealing with.

Those with little to no health issues never have any serious problems from it. So based on my daily work experience, its all news media lies and propaganda about the claims of it being this "infectious killer". Our death rate is well below the claimed numbers said in the news. Here, those numbers are virtually identical to common flu.

common flu doesn't kill 100k people in three months with major lockdowns.  I know people that have had to say goodbye to their love ones via facetime.  We've had nursing homes in our area storing bodies because they've run out of room.  Why do you assume the death rate is below what's on the news?  What's your source?  Is Brazil dealing with propaganda too?  Italy?  Germany?  Japan?  Is it a worldwide conspiracy? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

I had 4 days off at start of lockdown, then back to work. Not seen my kids for months. 

That must be tough,

although, I've just been woken from my nightshift slumber, with a child's knee to the ,particulars, jumping on the bed, to wake me up.....😫

11 hours ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

covid is no worse than common flu

My sources - Seasonal Flu has an average death rate of around 1000 per day and 9th on the, infectious disease chart, , whilst Covid has jumped to over 2300 and 3rd, under Tuberculosis and Hepatitis B.

But, whilst at a breakdown last night (no, not that one...🙄), the operator tells me his grandad, who had terminal cancer, had passed away, they had put Covid as his cause of death.....

I'm not sure what that means, surely , after Harold Shipman ,there's an autopsy after every death to determine the actual cause, not suspected? 

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

That must be tough,

although, I've just been woken from my nightshift slumber, with a child's knee to the ,particulars, jumping on the bed, to wake me up.....😫

My sources - Seasonal Flu has an average death rate of around 1000 per day and 9th on the, infectious disease chart, , whilst Covid has jumped to over 2300 and 3rd, under Tuberculosis and Hepatitis B.

But, whilst at a breakdown last night (no, not that one...🙄), the operator tells me his grandad, who had terminal cancer, had passed away, they had put Covid as his cause of death.....

I'm not sure what that means, surely , after Harold Shipman ,there's an autopsy after every death to determine the actual cause, not suspected? 

Weakened immune system from cancer and the virus probably pushed him over the edge would be my assumption.   People getting cancer treatments are susceptible to getting sick from chemotherapy wrecking havoc on your immunity. When my wife had breast cancer she had to get a shot after each treatment to help boost her immune system. Thankfully 9 years out she’s in good health.  Someone getting the virus who already weakened by cancer treatments would be in a dangerous place. It may be just the “common flu” to some people, but to others already struggling with a pre-existing condition it’s deadly. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

Why do you assume the death rate is below what's on the news?  What's your source?  Is Brazil dealing with propaganda too?  Italy?  Germany?  Japan?  Is it a worldwide conspiracy? 

This. This is what I deal with on a daily basis. I can't get my head around it. Some folks I interact with feel this whole thing is cooked up by the democrats to hurt Trump. How?! The whole world is in on this? Every country entered into a secret pact with inflated death counts and overblown concerns over this virus simply as a ploy to bring down our president? If the president is so powerful and all-knowing how could he not stop this diabolical plan against him? None of the logic adds up. The news they refer runs counter to every known news outlet. Sorry for venting. I keep my mouth shut around these people. I'd never try to change anyone's mind. Their opinion is theirs but the mental gymnastics they make are unfathomable to me.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Read my previous post. I quoted my hospital, where I work at, and I quoted my local news in my previous post. I have no opinion about anything beyond my truth that I shared. Another tidbit of my truth, I just got my walking papers today because my hospital has lost 95% of its business since covid happened. I was given 2 weeks notice effective Monday from no business. We literally have 1000 empty rooms in the hospital because there's no patients to fill them. Here, covid is not what they claim it to be on the news. My hospital is empty and hurting for business.

• Sad 1

On 5/26/2020 at 10:15 PM, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

Those with little to no health issues never have any serious problems from it. So based on my daily work experience, its all news media lies and propaganda about the claims of it being this "infectious killer". Our death rate is well below the claimed numbers said in the news. Here, those numbers are virtually identical to common flu

Ok. These are your personal experiences with what you are observing at your workplace (which being a hospital, is certainly relevant to the conversation). I have no reason to doubt what you are seeing at your hospital isn't the truth at your hospital.

On 5/26/2020 at 10:15 PM, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

So based on my daily work experience, its all news media lies and propaganda about the claims of it being this "infectious killer".

And this is your conclusion and opinion you drew from your first hand observations. I can understand the basis of your opinion based on your firsthand observations, but the situation, globally, as a whole, does not add up to mere media lies or propaganda. The situation is serious. I have known people my age and older who have died or nearly died from it so my experience and opinion differs from yours.

I am sorry to hear you got your walking papers. That's a tough situation to be in, particularly with the uncertainty in the economy. I myself am likely in a shaky situation job-wise thanks to Covid-19. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

Read my previous post. I quoted my hospital, where I work at, and I quoted my local news in my previous post. I have no opinion about anything beyond my truth that I shared. Another tidbit of my truth, I just got my walking papers today because my hospital has lost 95% of its business since covid happened. I was given 2 weeks notice effective Monday from no business. We literally have 1000 empty rooms in the hospital because there's no patients to fill them. Here, covid is not what they claim it to be on the news. My hospital is empty and hurting for business.

Sorry to hear that too, I'm in a similar position I guess, in that I've lost about 90% of my work and most likely for the next month or two. Although we are reasonably lucky here in Australia in that the government enacted a fairly large stimulus package that goes directly to eligible workers.

But it is crazy, the USA seems to be in a state of extremes. Here in Brisbane, we also didn't get the expected impact, but as far as I can tell it was down to the fairly extreme lockdown that was put in place. I also find it scary that a hospital has to lay off staff, especially at a time like this. But what is even scarier, is the reason, in that people are probably staying away from hospital in fear. That is certainly the case here in Brisbane, which means a lot of people are not seeking the treatment they should be getting. I have a friend who works in a testing lab for hospitals etc, and they have had a huge decline in their work. The scary thing is that means lots of conditions have gone undiagnosed and untreated. That problem won't go away either and will probably make things worse.

I hope you land on your feet soon.