grimlock

Tamiya 47390 Avante (2011) Black Special - worth it?

Hi,

is the Tamiya 47390 Avante (2011) Black Special worth it?
I am really tempted to buy one.

Any advise?

I’ve not built one, but am tempted too. Have you seen the ‘Most complicated tamiya kit’ thread in the General section of the forum - quite a few positive references to the Avante. Nice offer also at Tamico until midnight 😊

yep, that is why I am tempted ;-)- still a few hours to whink about it.

Its worth it. Its a great build with lots of machined alloy and carbon parts. The chassis of the Avante is like a piece of art to look at.

Yes!!!! Think of it as a short wheel base Egress. I had the original release that I foolishly sold in order to purchase Konis for my real car. I've filled the void with an original Avante and an Egress Rere. 

Yes! well worth it! it comes with the Race Steering set and Torque Splitter Set. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Gonna order mine real soon!

It arrived. Opened the box...it`s so nicely packed. Reminds me of earlier days.

• Like 2

Is a fantastic kit (tamiya at it's best) it's a dream to build the only thing that comes anywhere near it is the turbo optima! For pure engineering quality!

20190804_120537.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, grimlock said:

yes both are included.

Does it also come with the original steering and the original gears the torque splitter replaced?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kid168 said:

Does it also come with the original steering and the original gears the torque splitter replaced?

Well my BS was the first run and I did get some parts (if I can remember) but I think it was the case of if they were already manufactured in the parts bags but to be honest I would have to look in the box because like most tamiya kits you do get a fair few extra you could say spare parts and I got a set of black rims the same as the pink ones I think that was the bonus parts advertised on the front of the box!

Yeah i think they were bonus parts in the very first initial run of Black Specials. Same first run of the normal Avante came with a set if yellowy orange 2.2" dark impact style wheels. 

Later releases didnt get these - although personally I think the Black Special looks better with the pink wheels if built box art.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grimlock said:

Will this be too much power for the Avante?

s-l1600.jpg

I find the Re Re is fast enough with the kit motor (GT Tuned 25t)! The stock chassis is so unstable, anything quicker would be a bit terrifying.  Fun to drive though, hard to keep rubber side down. 

That said, kinda tempted to try it with a 10.5t TBLE. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grimlock said:

s-l1600.jpg

The fabled Conrad!  I have no idea how those truly perform but there was a great old thread on that motor...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, grimlock said:

s-l1600.jpg

Wait!!! Is That a.....a CONRAD? :o:lol:

• Like 1

When using this motor in the Avante please use the warning stickers as made by Yogi Bear: 240826 inside. This will warn other drivers (and the public) about this motor in your car so they can keep a safe distance. :wacko:

• Like 1

I'm thinking of taking the plunge also for my first non-vintage Tamiya, and the obvious candidate is a 2011 Avante, but... does anyone know what the difference is between the variants? :unsure::

58489 - Avante 2011

84270 - Avante 2011 Black Special 2012 release

47390 - Avante 2011 Black Special 2018 release

Avante - 2011 one came with bonus 2.2" orange dark impact style wheels and tyres to suit.

Avante - 2016 / 2017 ???? - sweet fa

Avante black special 2012 - came with the bonus lightweight black colour wheels (same as from egress)

Avante black special 2018 - sweet fa

(The avante black special has various upgrades over the regular avante such as the carbon race steering set, one way centre bearing etc)

Thanks!
So basically anything for sale from a distributor now will be the same as the initial run without the bonus wheels?

i couldn’t work out why I saw Avante 2011 for more than a black special when I had thought the black special had the upgraded race steering and slip centre diff.  Maybe demand/desire.  

Cheers!

Yeah I think the standard Avante is out of production again whereas the last Black Special run was delayed to distributors by several months so I think they have quite a few in stock still