Following! If you want to protect / strengthen those links, get some metal brake line at an autoparts store - works great! 

• Like 1

Really like the look of this truck. Any vids of it running? :)

• Like 1

I marvel at the work that has gone into the chassis and suspension and I reckon that finished shell looks like it is a straight copy of a 1:1 - your decals are really cohesive. 

It has been a great build thread, I'm going back to re-read it now.  

I love 'have you flown a Ford lately?'!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SteveUzi said:

Following! If you want to protect / strengthen those links, get some metal brake line at an autoparts store - works great! 

That's a neat idea.  I've got some alu tube that slides neatly over the links but I've still managed to bend them on my Clod.  Steel brake line should be a lot tougher.  I'll see if I can get any - straightening bent links gets quite tiresome...

7 hours ago, BloodClod said:

Really like the look of this truck. Any vids of it running? :)

Not yet - I could probably pull the ESC out of Fifty-Fifty, or find one of my old spare twin motor ESCs from something else, and give it a blast on 2S, but I don't have a lot of spare time and would rather spend it putting things together than taking them apart.  Depending on how my May RC budget goes, I might order a new Hobbywing ESC and some hot-ish motors at the end of the month, especially if there's the possibility I can take the truck out to some bigger spaces in June.  It's too big for my garden track.

4 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I marvel at the work that has gone into the chassis and suspension and I reckon that finished shell looks like it is a straight copy of a 1:1 - your decals are really cohesive. 

It has been a great build thread, I'm going back to re-read it now.  

I love 'have you flown a Ford lately?'!

I think that decal must come from the 1:1 monster truck world, as it's on the JConcepts decal sheet that came with the body and the Ford decal sheets from MCI.  I tried to keep the design cohesive.  I don't have any qualifications in graphic design (or design of any kind) but I try to follow what real-world designers do.  So after coming up with the name and the warlock face design (see earlier in the thread), I settled on a colour scheme and font.  Colours were an easy choice - the warlock face needed at least 3 and had enough detail that it could support a monochrome look.  Early-on I had envisaged a black body with luminescent green graphics and text, reminiscent of an old 80s VDU, but I think the white works better.

I found the font by searching a free fonts page, then decided to mix up the shades (using the same shades from the face design) to give it some more life.

With both font and colour settled, I sat down with a ruler and scaled my designs to fit in the appropriate places.  The SCRAPSpeed designs are an existing design that I put on all my cars, they just needed to be scaled to fit.  I already knew I wanted a black load bed, so the obvious choice was to re-colour the warlock face into metallic silver (already used on the beads in his braided beard).  I lost a little detail doing that but it was a price worth paying.  After that, the challenge was getting all the graphics onto a single Letter-sized page for printing.  MCI Designs have a really good submission form for printing custom decals - the only drawback is the delivery time from Canada.  MCI also do a huge range of generic monster truck sponsor decal pages and some Ford-specific monster truck pages, which I re-coloured (using the order page) into the same dark grey as the main body of my designs.  I could have had a friend print my designs locally but there's no guarantees the colours would match so well.

In short - that's how I got a cohesive design.

There were actually some last-minute changes after the decals had been ordered.  The body came with a racerback that covers part of the rear bed, but when I put it all in place unpainted it made the extra cab look too long and the bed too short.  It just didn't look right.  I'd already intended to have a warlock face graphic on the side of the racerback, and had sized the load bed graphic to fit over the smaller load area (and not be lost under the racerback).  So at painting time, I opted to leave the rear quarter windows unmasked so they could take the warlock face intended for the racerback.  It meant I had a lot of space to fill on the load bed, and given this is supposed to be a race truck, the sort you might see at Monster Jam, it needed some space for sponsor decals.  The monochrome design doesn't work too well for sponsor logos so having a dedicated space on the load bed made a lot of sense.

I learnt a lot of this from building Fifty-Fifty earlier in the year.  The results were so much better than I expected that I decided to expand on the ideas for Spellbreaker.

Normally I'd be too busy going racing or bashing or generally going about my life to do stuff like this, it's nice that I've had some things to direct my time and energy towards while we're working through this somewhat unpleasant period.

Did a bit more work yesterday.  I spent a lot of time procrastinating and a few hours fitting shelves in my studio, but still got a bit of time to finish off the TXT build.  As far as I am concerned this is 99.9% done now, which is as close to done as anything ever gets in my workshop.  I can't immediately think of anything else I want to do.  Maybe once I hit some badder terrain I'll realise my links are too weak or my motors too slow or my propshafts too fragile, but until then I'm just going to enjoy looking at it.

An order arrived last week with a pair of Etronix 19T motors and a Hobbywing 880 ESC.  These are a perfect match on 2S.

I made a radio tray from plasticard.  I'd have liked to use thicker card but I seem to be running out.  This is a bit flimsy but it's easy to cut.

P5240125.jpg

P5240126.jpg

Messy pre-installation wiring

P5240127.jpg

Motor wires bound up with spiral wrap - this makes such a difference to the finished article

P5240128.jpg

P5240129.jpg

These motors seem to be pretty good for the money and are readily available from Wheelspin at the moment

P5240130.jpg

• Like 1

Also fitted a pair of Traxxas 15T pinions.

So how does it go?  Well, it's not super-fast.  I think I expected a little more, actually, but it runs.  Motors are 0 timed at the moment but there's more to add if I need more speed.  I think the gearing will handle it.

Steering is spot-on.  I'm glad I put the time into the geometry because it just works.  It lifts an axle under acceleration but not overly-so, and there's more preload to add if it becomes a problem once I'm running in larger areas.  It feels pretty solid, although I've put a lot of time into it and now I'm nervous of breaking something.  I sneakily suspect either a propshaft will fail or a link will bend, or a servo will strip.  I should probably make some link covers but that's a job I can do during a lazy pitstop at an outdoor event once such things are viable again.

I still need to do a showroom entry and I need to decide if I'll take new photos on location while I'm out with the family tomorrow, or just use the ones from earlier in this thread.

So, for now, that's all, folks :)

• Like 4

were you able to resolve torque twist?

On 5/27/2020 at 1:54 AM, TenzoR said:

were you able to resolve torque twist?

Torque twist isn't "solved" in that a truck like this will always lean under power.  I could add some preload to fix it up, but that would affect the spring rates when landing from jumps or taking bumpy surfaces.  Either way it's not an ideal situation but in actual fact the truck drives reasonably flat for what it is.  The springs are tougher than stock and the inverted transmission, forward-mounted battery tray and lightweight LiPo battery all help to make a nicer drive.

I took it for a spin on a gravel track earlier this week, I got a video and will upload when I have time to edit off the "Dad, I'm hungry!" from my daughter who was sitting in the back seat at the time.  Apart from her I was alone, so only a static camera shot.  I keep meaning to make up a transmitter-mounted camera cradle but I just don't have the time.

Anyways, it will wheelie under throttle but only if provoked - I like that, it's nice to be able to put the power down without it dragging its tail.  It gets off the line fast.

The big wheels stay under control over bumps.  That's good.  A standard TXT will flap its axles like a spaniel's ears once it gets up to speed.  Watching the Trigger Kings videos must have helped because it feels like I have a very good setup already.  Horizontal bottom links and parallel top links make for a controllable truck.

Amazingly, a full-speed both-axles U-turn won't unsettle it either.  I was expecting it to roll with the slightest provocation, but no, it wants to stay on its wheels, hook up and come racing right back to me.  Result.  I only actually turned it over once, and that was when my 3 year old had the throttle and left stick (rear axle steer) and I had the right stick to keep it out of the hedge.  We ended up going off the road and over some big pre-apocalypse berms made by full-size 4x4 adventurers back before the rains dried up and the country turned to a dustbowl in the wake of the pandemic.

I feel like this would be a pretty solid race truck.  Here's hoping we can have some bashing before the good weather goes away, even if we are dressed up like extras in a Mad Max spin-off to do it.

• Like 1