Sign in to follow this  
futureworks

Dishwasher to clean old wheels & freshen old tyres..?

Hi everyone, hope you're all managing to stay safe and healthy...

Quick question - I have some 20_ year old wheels and tyres from a new built TA01 shelfer. I was thinking about how best to get the wheels cleaned up, and the tyres maybe a bit fresher to the touch. I saw thread a few days ago which I can't find now where someone had put the wheels and tyres (separately) from a TXT into a dishwasher to clean them. I don't suppose it can do any harm, but wanted to check if anyone has any experience doing this, or alternative approaches you'd suggest.

Thanks in advance!

fullsizeoutput_479.jpeg

Yes, but be careful with the temperature - I once had a set of wheels warp following a short trip through the dishwasher :wacko:

They were incredibly clean, I can't fault that. But not so round...

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Isn’t there a light bleach and sunlight method as well? 

Yup it's called retr0bright and it's pretty easy to make and do if you Google it. 

• Like 2

Some hot water out of the tap should do just fine also. There are a lot of nice petroleum free tire dressings out in the market now a days that should be very safe to use.

I just use a little bit of simple green to clean tires and wheels and it hasnt done me wrong yet.  

• Like 1

A dishwasher will heat bleach the rubber - which looks great with WD40 for a few months then collapses ... 

Agree with @Problemchild

Ultrasonic cleaning with a delicate cocktail of astringents + emulsifiers 

Basically, low temperature / gentle degreasing - then a quick cool down + higher heat conditioning to absorb a new mix

With a German finishing compound - whose name escapes me ... but is on here with a search - you’ll get a factory finish 👍

• Like 1

I run lots of parts through the dishwasher with never an issue. If the heating element is in the bottom I would use the top shelf. if you are concerned about the heat just pull them out before the drying cycle.

• Like 1

You guys must live alone - I know that if I ever tried to put RC car tires in the dishwasher, I probably would end up that way...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1