Sign in to follow this  
TITANIUM94010

TS or PS paint for Metal?

Neither would adhere very well without primer, but after you have primed it with a suitable etch primer designed for aluminium, TS is likely to give the superior surface finish.

Many primers are suitable, here is an example of one I've used in the past that worked well:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/112448320904

• Like 2

Apply primer as above. TS will give you a much better finish. PS is 'plasticy' and flexible for use on polycarbonate. It dries to a rough semi-gloss; it's intended to go on the back of pc, which results in a high gloss finish.

20 minutes ago, c64orinoco said:

Apply primer as above. TS will give you a much better finish. PS is 'plasticy' and flexible for use on polycarbonate. It dries to a rough semi-gloss; it's intended to go on the back of pc, which results in a high gloss finish.

I'm trying to get a semigloss color for my RC trailer, does the PS dry well?, or does it not work well on metal surfaces?

The PS won't stick very well to the metal, but will adhere okay if you prime it first.

It is however very difficult to get an even surface finish with PS paint. Some areas may dry glossy, others matt, others somewhere in between.

You'd be best off priming first, then spraying your chosen colour of TS paint or automotive paint, then finishing off with a clear satin lacquer for an even semi-gloss finish. 

For metal use acrylic paint or polyurethane. TS is for hard plastic or ABS. PS is for polycarbonate/lexan.

That's the proper paint application.

• Like 1

TS paint works on metal just fine with Tamiya primer or Halfords primer.  TS paints are aerosol versions of Tamiya laquer paints.

i painted my flat bed trailer with ts paint useing tamiya fine surface primer and it does chip of easy tbh 

yeah neither lasts long on aluminium that's often handled

I go to autoparts store and buy either engine enamel or epoxy paint (I think it's polyurethane, takes a while to cure). Limited colours but if you want to colour match  you can paint TS on top of it afterwards.

Are you going for a flat or gloss finish ? 

Or a clearer anodised / metallic ?

@TurnipJF is spot on re the former - it’s hard + almost  better to find a pro 

Amateur candy coat layering will work well with the latter 

Just seal the base with a flat veneer before candy then top with at least 3 coats of finish - hardening for a wk between each