Re-Bugged

Interesting Facts, Strange But True...

Seeing some interesting non RC related facts coming out the woodwork just lately, such as ‘Fasting’ can actually stimulate brain growth courtesy of @Juggular, who I also have no doubt is a fountain of knowledge for other such things too. I thought I’d start a thread for it. 
I’m sure from the calibre of world wide members on here that there is a wealth of unknown anomalies that could be posted up regarding, Health, Mechanic’s, Space, Engineering, Culture, Beliefs or even experience’s you may have had that you couldn’t believe turned out the way they did??

For starters something that has stuck in my mind since growing up in Kent, UK is in Ye Old Town of Canterbury Kent, it definitely didn’t pay to let on if you were a Witch BITD. Because hovering over one of the Towns waterways is the Ducking Stool, a chair fixed to a a long substantial piece of timber. 
If you were thought to be a Witch you would be taken to the Ducking Stool and submerged in the water.

If you drowned, you were innocent. 

If you didn’t drown you were guilty and burned at the stake instead.

So generally a bad day either way.

32AAA8EE-98DD-412B-98C8-5E602DACDD56.jpg

More in-depth info...

https://canterburyculture.org/the-old-witches-ducking-stool/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thats very cool - ive been to Canterbury a few times and never knew about that. We might be using it again in our future apocalyptic world.

• Like 1

I grew up about half mile from Witchduck Rd in Virginia Beach Va.  It was where Virginia ducked their last Witch, Grace Sherwood. 

Terry

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

I grew up about half mile from Witchduck Rd in Virginia Beach Va.  It was where Virginia ducked their last Witch, Grace Sherwood. 

Terry

Sounds like it must have become a global sport then!?!

• Haha 1

ok, I learnt this from my one of my physics lecturers, half true, half joke, it is a very nerdy joke, so you have been warned. To detection cosmic radiation, you can use a super saturated cloud chamber. Basically, the cosmic ray as it passes through the cloud chamber, it ionises a path through the chamber, and because the system is super saturation,  bubbles of the solution used will readily form, and you will see a straight line of bubbles form (that's a very dodgy description, it's been awhile). 

So you can do a similar experiment at home. First you need a very, very clean pint glass. If it's too dirty, the CO2 will out gas too easily making it hard to see anything. Then get your preferred ale or beer (not too dark), that is charged up with CO2. Fill said pint glass with beer and stare at it for 5 to 10 mins. Any cosmic radiation that passes through will cause the CO2 to out gas, and you will see a straight line of bubbles rise up where it passes though. After a bit your beer will start to go flat, so you need to drink it all, clean the glass and make another. Repeat until eventually you will see something!

• Like 4

Random fact and maybe not that interesting, A human has more bones in there neck than a giraffe...

• Like 2

wu can freeze a honey bee in a block of ice and when it melts it will fly off

• Like 1