Northern_Ben

Tyre wobble on newly built CC01

Hi all,

Finished the technical side of building my CC01, but I've noticed that the tyres all seem to have a wobble on! There's a fair bit of CC01 steering slop, which is to be expected, but the wobble on the tyres is noticable.

They aren't glued yet, but they are properly seated. Is it because they're new? Will they settle at all?

Thanks 👍

When you say wobble do you mean the tyres are not moulded very square or the whole wheel wobbles on the axles?

Are you lifting it off the ground and watching the wheels as you run it? They always look much worse when you do this than running it on the ground, especially with big chunky off road tyres.

If the whole wheel tyre assembly wobles on the axle then you can fit shims to reduce it

• Like 1

I'll do some further investigation, but I think it's just the tyre that's not running true. It's mainly obviously when it's upside down. Been reading a bit about tyre balancing, but the truck seems to run ok when it's on its wheels.

If the tyres had anything resting on them while in their packaging, it is possible that they may have deformed slightly, in which case they might return to their original shape with time, assisted by slight warming with a hairdryer.

It is also possible that the apparent wobble is coming from the plastic wheel hexes, if you are using them. My CC-01 had a very slight wobble that didn't affect running but was nonetheless annoying once I noticed it, which turned out to be due to a slightly malformed plastic wheel hex. This was rectified with the correct Tamiya alloy clamping ones for the CC-01. (Beware of generic ones - the Tamiya CC-01 rear hexes have an inner face specifically designed not to rub on the axle housing, whereas generic ones usually rub.)

• Like 1