AshRC

Buying / selling on lockdown

I was reading the “apocalypse preparation” thread and it got me thinking. What do you think this lockdown will do to the RC community? Does more time at home mean people are more likely to:

1. sort out loft, garage etc and sell on eBay

2. scour eBay for used bargains.

3. buy and build new kits.

I’m just wondering if more spare time will benefit buyers or sellers ...

Not rc related but I have a few diecast models on eBay at the moment and in the last week I’ve had a lot more interest then I would of due to this lockdown.

I think all three are going to happen.  Everyone is a different stage in their life during this process.  I think it will benefit both buyers and sellers.

Id say all three options. i have 5 kits coming, i have cleaned my garage and looked for bargins on the web. 

Sand Viper

Neo Fighter(met green)

Top Force

Super Shot

CV2 Rally 

I was reading about some folks on PistonHeads with high-end cars looking to sell them quickly because 'the cost of running them' being too high. Seems mad - the used car market is terrible now (We Buy Any Car aren't even buying new cars). So you'll make a massive loss on something to sell it quickly, because it's too expensive to run when... it's just sitting there?! I don't get the logic personally.

Same with RC, I've had a good sort out but I'm not thinking of selling anything, the prices will be at rock bottom!

• Like 2

Will the prices be at rock bottom though? I think more people will be idly flicking through eBay. 

1 hour ago, AshRC said:

Will the prices be at rock bottom though? I think more people will be idly flicking through eBay. 

New kit prices have been steady going up in recent weeks. 

I’ll do some jobs around the house and garden,  kinda 1 or 2 a day pace and a little bit of Tamiya hopefully each day as well.

I won’t finish what’s in the cupboard so I shouldn’t buy anything either.

Ideally finish setting up the LB 1st and then some paint and then finish the WW2. 

Hopefully post a couple of projects out and maybe sell a couple on.

All famous last words of course 😉

I dug out my RX7 TT-01D and intend to strip it down, clean and rebuild.  Well, that is if I get locked down (been helping out in ‘key sector‘ and we’re quite busy)

Sadly it seems I must have glued on the pop up head lights with superglue after they kept falling off (sure they were DS tape originally). 

I think it'll depend on the individual situation. I'm not buying so I can keep my family feed for an expected lengthy duration. More just being cautious than anything, plus I have plenty of projects I have accumulated over the last few years to last me a long time that I should be doing first. I am buying up some consumables like paint though. 

But if you are worker who has lost work and lived week to week, I would imagine selling anything would need to be quickly, and you'd be taking whatever you could get. These are the people I feel for, they'll need the money, but won't be in a good position to asked for a premium amount.

On the flip side, I am in the position where I now need to replace 3 1:1 cars. As cash is tight, I'll am waiting a bit in the hope of getting a bargain. 

I also suspect once things are over, the powers to be and most companies will want to get economies up and running as fast as possible, so things could get cheaper to help things bounce back.

• Like 1

Well as the world goes to pot, my apocalypse is a bit of a weird one. Both me and the missus seem to be spending more time working remotely that if we were working in the office physically.
However pay cuts are on the cards for my entire company, and the missus’s. For us, whilst on the face of it there is theoretically more time to indulge in hobbies, practically it’s working out like there is less time, but critically , the usual steady stream of postal deliveries containing yummy RC parts and hop ups and bits and pieces is going to have to stop completely.

The postal deliveries have gone from shiny aluminium bits and tasty components to vitamin tablets, nappies for my son, breathing masks and rubber gloves. Supermarkets are empty so trying to obtain things online is crucial

Sobering what is happening. Makes me at once split between appreciating the hobby so much more, and concurrently feeling guilty about such a relatively indulgent hobby when so much in the world is going so wrong and so many people are suffering either directly or indirectly.

Anyway, I love the hobby and it keeps my mind off the world for a little bit each time I get to tinker. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jameswrx said:

Sadly it seems I must have glued on the pop up head lights with superglue after they kept falling off (sure they were DS tape originally). 

Try sticking it in the freezer for a spell. Cold makes superglue brittle, it might snap off cleanly. Reattach with ShoeGoo. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, yogi-bear said:

On the flip side, I am in the position where I now need to replace 3 1:1 cars. As cash is tight, I'll am waiting a bit in the hope of getting a bargain. 

New or used matey? Usedees methink will be a buyer's market before too long, but you'll need to get them into your hands before they've spent too much time in no-$-to-maintain-property land.

New cars (other than stock already landed) might get interesting with AUD dumping (from 67c down to 52c now 60c) which could add 20-30% to MY21 sticker prices. Dealers took fair while to clear 2019 plates (post bushfires), now the boats with 2020s are arriving and would be a glut piling up soon if nobody's buying.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

New or used matey? Usedees methink will be a buyer's market before too long, but you'll need to get them into your hands before they've spent too much time in no-$-to-maintain-property land.

New cars (other than stock already landed) might get interesting with AUD dumping (from 67c down to 52c now 60c) which could add 20-30% to MY21 sticker prices. Dealers took fair while to clear 2019 plates (post bushfires), now the boats with 2020s are arriving and would be a glut piling up soon if nobody's buying.

just looking at used.

I've had new cars before, and not fussed anymore as long as the car is reliable. Plus I am pretty hard on my cars. Mine is for work, and at the moment I have an old Volvo that I bash around in, but it's starting to show it's age. The actual engine and mechanics are pretty good, but the interior is very dodgy, the seat belts could be better (still work at the moment though) and now the speedo takes time out half way through a trip. I also have a 2009 Outback since new, which I was hoping to keep for a bit, but the gearbox is starting to go. Apparently a common problem and pricey to fix and it's also up for a pricey service (timing belt etc). The 3rd car is my mums, she had a nice little Toyota Corolla, but was rear ended about 6 weeks ago. It looked like superficial damage, but a write-off. At least we'll get a pay out for that.

I was hoping to try the auto auctions, I got the Volvo for about half the price. Mrs yogi-bear wants a hybrid, so we might wait a little on the one.

I’m looking for a kit to buy at payday to improve my mental health 

I also have an impulse buy tamiya nitro coming 

we all need to keep busy so I think sales will be up

JJ

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, yogi-bear said:

I was hoping to try the auto auctions, I got the Volvo for about half the price. Mrs yogi-bear wants a hybrid, so we might wait a little on the one.

I've been sniffing around the auctions down here lately. Vendor expectations/reserves haven't lowered to meet dismal market at present, majority get passed in - unless it's some workute or a cabchas with custom body, those stil selling strongly.

Not many hybrids around, pretty much limited to Toyota. Late model Prius haven't sold many, Prius V or C even less... can you live with their plasticky seats? Which only leaves whitegoods-on-wheels Camry... decent car, but they're fetching $3-4k (20%?) premium over petrol identical model at auction due to Uber driver demand - I don't know why they bother, it's only 5 vs 7L/100km difference). Lexus h don't come cheap. There's a few Outlanders 3-5yo popping up now; or there's a 6mth waiting ist for new RAV4 Hybrid.

Your Volvo sounds like it's 20-30yrs old. Because younger lot barely survive 10!

Your '09 Outback sounds like it's the 6, if it's chewing up its gearbox already (sure u got equal size tyres all 4 corners?). Petrol too... 'cos if it's diesel probably not have survived even 5yrs. 

And that's the crux of the matter, modern cars no longer properly built to last. They'll usually run for 3/5/7y fine however long the warranty is, then the subsequent run to 10y is what kills them fast.

Maintenance schedules have been stretched too far out (to cheapen ownership cost during lease term), oils are too thin (to maximise new car fuel economy) so there's zero buffer nowadays to tolerate missed services... let alone stupid design faults like diesel oil dilution from aborted DPF purges. Or Jatco CVTs in anything bigger than 660cc Kei cars :( 

Plus these days anything "Sealed For Life"... well, it's life will be SHORT! No dipsticks to check level/condition, no easy way to fluid change... meh! Any machine always works better on fresh lubricants, but can you even buy the correct fluid aftermarket.

Another curveball is Takata airbag issue, not everybody is recalling them to fix. Working class cars of say 10-15yrs, they just buy them back to crush. Saw a pic of huge pile of 1st gen Honda CRVs that supposedly Honda paid $500ea for, what a waste. Same with early Audi TTs so I read. So many units wastefully deleted from used car pool. 

As for what's worthwhile for cheap transport downunder... well nothing Commode worthwhile, definitely not an imported one. Really only leaves anything with a Barra motor... 5-10yo Falcon sedan probably safest bet for relatively easy fixing. Terrortorys have their own issues, plus diesel Landrover engine not as hardy as Barra petrol but yeah for a good cheap one gotta get in quick before they all fall into the hands of no-service run-into-ground cheapskate owners. 

• Like 2

I was having a bit of a clear out before all the fun began, and sold enough on eBay to buy a re release Ultima, but I've not, as I've no idea what'll happen job wise etc, so just sitting on the cash the now.

It does mean that I've got a fair bit of RC stuff out of hiding, and in some kind of order, (servos in one carrier bag, brushed esc/motors in another etc) , so if the UK does go full lockdown, and I find I've got time on my hands, there's a good few projects just sat waiting on me!! 

2020-03-25_11-40-04

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I was reading about some folks on PistonHeads with high-end cars looking to sell them quickly because 'the cost of running them' being too high. Seems mad - the used car market is terrible now (We Buy Any Car aren't even buying new cars). So you'll make a massive loss on something to sell it quickly, because it's too expensive to run when... it's just sitting there?! I don't get the logic personally.

I must admit I’m looking at my motorcycle thinking do I really need it now?
As much as I would hate to sell, as you mention when everyone dumps out all they can for a few dollars you are virtually giving stuff away. The last GFC there where many bargains to be had....if you had any money. Just for my bike to ‘sit’ there costs nearly a $1000. If the rego’ (Road Tax equivalent) expires then you have to give the number plate back. And when it comes to re-registering it you have get a permit to take to roadworthy station, fix anything that needs fixing go back to transport office to hand over more cash for the agro. 

And I think for people who have ploughed loads of money into a project, would rather  see someone else enjoy it than let it deteriorate again. 

45 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

I must admit I’m looking at my motorcycle thinking do I really need it now?
As much as I would hate to sell, as you mention when everyone dumps out all they can for a few dollars you are virtually giving stuff away. The last GFC there where many bargains to be had....if you had any money. Just for my bike to ‘sit’ there costs nearly a $1000. If the rego’ (Road Tax equivalent) expires then you have to give the number plate back. And when it comes to re-registering it you have get a permit to take to roadworthy station, fix anything that needs fixing go back to transport office to hand over more cash for the agro. 

Don't feel bad, join the club :( $400pa rego at my end of the island, been paying for 15yrs & I don't ever get chance to ride the thing. But to get RWC would cost $200 minimum in test fees, $50 in days Unreg permit + time & queuing at VicRoads $200 in new plate & application fees... meh. One of my to-dos for eventual lockdown is to go clean it up, see if it still starts then get real.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, WillyChang said:

I've been sniffing around the auctions down here lately. Vendor expectations/reserves haven't lowered to meet dismal market at present, majority get passed in - unless it's some workute or a cabchas with custom body, those stil selling strongly.

yeah, I haven't had a chance to look yet, and all auctions are off at the moment anyway. At least I can hold off for a bit

Not many hybrids around, pretty much limited to Toyota. Late model Prius haven't sold many, Prius V or C even less... can you live with their plasticky seats? Which only leaves whitegoods-on-wheels Camry... decent car, but they're fetching $3-4k (20%?) premium over petrol identical model at auction due to Uber driver demand - I don't know why they bother, it's only 5 vs 7L/100km difference). Lexus h don't come cheap. There's a few Outlanders 3-5yo popping up now; or there's a 6mth waiting ist for new RAV4 Hybrid.

Your Volvo sounds like it's 20-30yrs old. Because younger lot barely survive 10!

yep, correct, 1997 model! Even Dad's XC70, 2002 model wasn't very good in the long run, they were using Ford gearboxes by then and they weren't up to the task in the long run.

Your '09 Outback sounds like it's the 6, if it's chewing up its gearbox already (sure u got equal size tyres all 4 corners?). Petrol too... 'cos if it's diesel probably not have survived even 5yrs. 

And that's the crux of the matter, modern cars no longer properly built to last. They'll usually run for 3/5/7y fine however long the warranty is, then the subsequent run to 10y is what kills them fast.

base model 2.5l, 4 cylinder. Tyres where matched, and from what I have read, it's just a poorly made gearbox. I did like the car, but the gearbox always had a noticeable lag. Its a pity I can't put the Volvo gearbox in it.

Maintenance schedules have been stretched too far out (to cheapen ownership cost during lease term), oils are too thin (to maximise new car fuel economy) so there's zero buffer nowadays to tolerate missed services... let alone stupid design faults like diesel oil dilution from aborted DPF purges. Or Jatco CVTs in anything bigger than 660cc Kei cars :( 

Plus these days anything "Sealed For Life"... well, it's life will be SHORT! No dipsticks to check level/condition, no easy way to fluid change... meh! Any machine always works better on fresh lubricants, but can you even buy the correct fluid aftermarket.

Another curveball is Takata airbag issue, not everybody is recalling them to fix. Working class cars of say 10-15yrs, they just buy them back to crush. Saw a pic of huge pile of 1st gen Honda CRVs that supposedly Honda paid $500ea for, what a waste. Same with early Audi TTs so I read. So many units wastefully deleted from used car pool. 

that is a huge waste, and the airbag problem is still ongoing. I wouldn't mind a Honda though, anyone I know who has/had one has loved them.

As for what's worthwhile for cheap transport downunder... well nothing Commode worthwhile, definitely not an imported one. Really only leaves anything with a Barra motor... 5-10yo Falcon sedan probably safest bet for relatively easy fixing. Terrortorys have their own issues, plus diesel Landrover engine not as hardy as Barra petrol but yeah for a good cheap one gotta get in quick before they all fall into the hands of no-service run-into-ground cheapskate owners. 

I'll probably stick to Toyota from Mum and Mrs Yogi-bear. For me, I wouldn't mind a secondhand Octavia wagon.

3 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

I wouldn't mind a Honda though, anyone I know who has/had one has loved them.

Had Hondas in the 80’s (Accords) and were brilliant mechanically, some had slight rust problems mainly due to UK winter salt. 
Bought a 2002 CRV auto here, again brilliant & comfy. The only issue after 5-6 years was the Brake Booster had a habit of needing a rebuild every couple of years. 
Replaced it with a mint 2006 (newer shape) loved it til the dual clutch gearbox started to play up around 80,000ks. Apparently a common problem with all Hondas of them of that vintage. Only fix is a swap/recon box for $2500. Probably won’t touch one again now. Chopped it in for a 2013 Suzuki Swift. Apart from a weekly shop being a very tight squeeze in the boot, a really fun cheap run about. 
My sister has just chopped in here Diesel CRV in the UK though that has been round the clock 3 times, and that is miles not K’s. 
(Sorry off OP a bit here)

We're getting mixed messages here about what is essential and can be sold/bought online, so who knows.

Funnily enough I just got the settlement offer from the insurer on my car, got rear endeda couple of weeks ago. Trying to get hold of salespeople right now is a nightmare, I'm amazed they aren't waiting by the phone for it to ring since they can't open their yards. I'm hoping for a end of fimancial year/lockdowm deal where I get a heap of money off. If not I have a fleet deal I can fall back on for a Mitsubishi Triton, if they ever get back to me!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

I think for people who have ploughed loads of money into a project, would rather  see someone else enjoy it than let it deteriorate again. 

Again, just before the fun started, I'd compiled a list of parts I'd got for my 2nd gen TransAm project, thinking on parting with it, and just buying one done.

Posted it on a few American Car Facebook pages, i got sent links of rough drivers for £7k, and the best offer I got , was for the engine ,box, loom and ecu for £2500, I paid £1k just for the heads!! 

So it's not getting sold, it's been mine for 20yrs, well, not unless I have no other option...

• Like 2