Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

Kids cartoons

Be sequestered at home with my 7 year old daughter means I get a steady diet of her television entertainment. I grew up in the 80's where we were inundated with half hour cartoon shows that were often just toy commercials. Honestly, compared to some of the dreck I see my kid watching (or stuff I flat out ban) I prefer the stuff I watched, ulterior motives or not. She once watched some videos of people opening toys. I don't get it. Now she watches videos of adults playing with toys. I don't get it. When I was young, all I wanted to do was play with toys, not watch others do it. One particular individual who goes by the name of Blippi capers and covorts about like a fool while speaking to kids in a sickeningly inane way that makes my skin crawl. On one hand he does teach things at times (while tempting me to throw a brick through the TV) but on the other hand, everything about him (from his voice to the colors he wears) is carefully cultivated to ensnare young viewers which I find distasteful to say the least (all the more so when you dig into his rather unsavory past). 

Aside from Youtube (which I limit), there are some shows that I actually like and some I ban. I don't mind Peppa Pig. There's a certain inside humor present that adults pick up on (the use of glitter in school projects for instance and how it gets everywhere). The toys are outrageously expensive but aside from that, the whole thing isn't too bad for me. My daughter is a big fan of PJ Mask. I suppose, being into comics myself, it doesn't bother me as much as it irks my wife. There are some big plot holes that bother me and I wish the kids didn't seem to be yelling all the time (not to mention the villains' sickening laughs) but overall, I'm indifferent. Then there's Caillou. This whiny little spawn of the underworld is forever gone from our home. There's an argument that the little bald twerp is actually written to be more akin to how real children act. If my child acted this way, I'd ask for a refund. As soon as we saw our daughter starting to mimic some of Caillou's behaviors, that was it. No more. When someone asked my daughter if see watched it, she's well aware her parents' answer is commonly "Caillou's evil". Boy, do I miss my G1 Transformers.

Anybody else enjoying their children's TV choices while being tucked away?

High time you two tried My Litte Pony Friendship is Magic, start rom s1e1.

There's Bronies amongst us...

• Like 1

If only MCI would

1 hour ago, WillyChang said:

Uh huh. If only a decal seller had a Rainbow Dash set for Monster Trucks. My Race Clod needs a proper motif for race day... I have a Jcon F-100 that needs color and graphics pending the eventual return of normal activities here in the world. 

I just saw that you have a GFX company Willy.. ideas?

My daughter watches a lot of CookieSwirlC. Most of it is junk - toy openings, play, etc.  But every once in a while CookieSwirlC will re-furb an old doll with new paint, texture, stuff. It’s all our modeling skills applied to another genre of toy. 

I’m building her a BarbieFoot (Blackfoot with Barbie Jeep body) so she can learn RC and still play with her dolls...

Terry

35 minutes ago, geniusanthony said:

I like the hot orange wheels on this one, makes for a nice throwback to Terra Conqueror or TF evo.  How's the BarbieFoot coming along?

The first BarbieFoot (fit onto my Bush Devil) is 99% complete:  https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/92792-tamiya-barbiefoot/  This one is for me...

I'm working on the second one (fit onto a normal Frog modified into a Blackfoot) now, but work keeps getting in the way...  This one is for my daughter...

Actually, I think I need to buy a third one since this has been such a fun project!

Terry

luckly my kids are grown up so i don't have to sit through recent(last 30 years of rubbish) and what they call cartoon know are cgi and i am sorry but they should never be allowed to be put in that catagory.

i got all my kids and grandson onto propper cartoons the same as what i watched back in the 70's and 80's esp and they loved them 

perhapes the only one i would accept from the 90's would be beavis & butthead and ed edd and eddy

but i will sit and watch a studio ghibli one as they are truely  something else 

its a shame that this and any generation from the 90's on would not know propper cartoons as they don't get shown on tv anymore

Loooove the Miyazaki stuff...

My first cartoon love was Macross...

4 hours ago, geniusanthony said:

If only MCI would

Uh huh. If only a decal seller had a Rainbow Dash set for Monster Trucks. My Race Clod needs a proper motif for race day... I have a Jcon F-100 that needs color and graphics pending the eventual return of normal activities here in the world. 

I just saw that you have a GFX company Willy.. ideas?

Long time dormant I'm afraid Anthony. Yes it was great fun back then redrawing vintage decal sponsor logos, can't bear those modern fake brands unless you're Lightning McQueen. :) 

Besides copyright/trademark/licensing issues... don't think anybody has decent MLPFiM artwork in suitable digital format, especially if you're talking mugshots of the Mane6. IMHO you'll need to be a pretty decent artist first to doodle all that flowing hair properly :P otherwise it just looks plain awkward.

If you were going to do it analog, there's always oldskool paper - printout & stick it under lexan before painting around it. 

A decent airbrush artiste might be able to offhand by eye straight onto lexan too, for something truly one-off. 

--- back to scheduled programming...

Amazing Simpsons is still going; sad that Futurama has long ended. Tried showing Futurama to my kids... meh lukewarm reception.

Now trying FRIENDS (yeah the previous Main Six ;) ).

Anything Marvel/DC etc most girls aren't interested. Don't even start with SW or ST. If I t ain't kool with their peers, daggy daddy can't sell it any better than Disney can.

Ghibli always great but I fear the fine artistry & musical subtleties aren't yet fully appreciated by the juniors. Let them discover them naturally, don't spoil it by using it as a square babysitter.

Pokemon & Pocket Monster reboot otoh, taking off like wildbushfire. 

Oh hey... new Sonic movie is pretty decent! Can't wait for Tails sequel. 

16 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Be sequestered at home with my 7 year old daughter means I get a steady diet of her television entertainment. I grew up in the 80's where we were inundated with half hour cartoon shows that were often just toy commercials. Honestly, compared to some of the dreck I see my kid watching (or stuff I flat out ban) I prefer the stuff I watched, ulterior motives or not. She once watched some videos of people opening toys. I don't get it. Now she watches videos of adults playing with toys. I don't get it. When I was young, all I wanted to do was play with toys, not watch others do it. One particular individual who goes by the name of Blippi capers and covorts about like a fool while speaking to kids in a sickeningly inane way that makes my skin crawl. On one hand he does teach things at times (while tempting me to throw a brick through the TV) but on the other hand, everything about him (from his voice to the colors he wears) is carefully cultivated to ensnare young viewers which I find distasteful to say the least (all the more so when you dig into his rather unsavory past).

Whilst reading that I was wondering if you knew about Steezy Grossman. It seems you do! We know Blippi well in here although my two don't really watch him now. 

15 hours ago, WillyChang said:

High time you two tried My Litte Pony Friendship is Magic, start rom s1e1.

There's at least one Bronie on here 😎

14 hours ago, geniusanthony said:

If only MCI would

Uh huh. If only a decal seller had a Rainbow Dash set for Monster Trucks.

I'm more an Applejack guy myself. Yeeeeeharrr!!!! :lol:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kevin_Mc said:

I'm more an Applejack guy myself. Yeeeeeharrr!!!! :lol:

While I know quite little of the show aside from doing some coloring pages with my daughter and catching some clips here and there, I'm definitely most akin to Maud Pie ;).

19 hours ago, topforcein said:

perhapes the only one i would accept from the 90's would be beavis & butthead and ed edd and eddy

I did find a lot of what cartoon network was showing in the late 90's pretty good. I liked early Dexter and the Power Puff Girls along with Ed Edd and Eddy. I rushed home to catch Toonami after work, promptly getting hooked on Gundam Wing, Dragonball Z and Rurouni Kenshin (and the anti-hero, Saito of course). 

Aside from CN, Invader Zim always made me smile and Daria was one of my all-time favorites.

I miss the Banana Splits, most cartoons today are flat and nasty!

and there will never ever be another Shirley Temple (not a cartoon i know, but)

Go figure, yet i crave Anime it all started with Godzilla and Ultraman, then the years went by, Ghost in the Shell, Full Metal Alchemist, Apple Seed, Cowboy Bebop the list goes on,

there's volumes.

• Like 1