trev82

Tamiya damper build- beginner question

Beginner question, 

Always find hard to tighten those plastic ends to the piston rods.  See image.. is there an easier way, so not to damage to rods...  

thanks Trevor 

4E3D0BCE-C7EC-4117-AD39-51E78FB12E25.jpeg

You need some damper shaft pliers. Once youve got some every aspect of life will be massively improved.

• Like 2

Failing that, you can hold them in a pair of worn-out flush cutters, just above the threads, on the portion of the shaft that will be inside the spring retainer when it is in place. The will in all likelihood mark the shaft a little, but the marks will not affect the looks or function of the finished item due to the spring retainer both hiding them and preventing them from damaging the seals. If you grip them carefully and close enough to the threads, any marks will just look like another ring of thread and won't even affect the appearance when disassembled.

• Like 1

I have got by using normal pliers with kitchen towel folded over into a nice thick pad also I have used a strip from a old inner tube folded over. Just make sure not to clamp away from the protected area.

• Like 1

As above but with a little blob of grease in the hole. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, svenb said:

As above but with a little blob of grease in the hole. 

unnamed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It also doesn't hurt to drive and remove a screw into the eyelet first before threading it onto the damper shaft.   That way the threads are already formed.  Just use any M3 machine screw, and be careful not to go too far.

2 hours ago, Gazzalene said:

I have used a strip from a old inner tube folded over.

Me too . I use it a lot when using grips on metal parts or plastic parts that are easily damaged and it gives great friction grip without a lot of pressure being applied

4 hours ago, trev82 said:

Always find hard to tighten those plastic ends to the piston rods

Run a 3mm machine screw into it first to make a thread  , then remove the screw and fit to damper end , not much effort needed then ;)

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

It also doesn't hurt to drive and remove a screw into the eyelet first before threading it onto the damper shaft.   That way the threads are already formed.  Just use any M3 machine screw, and be careful not to go too far.

Blast , should have read this before I replied - you beat me to it s_w_b    ;)

• Like 1

fold a papertowel 6 times over, make it extremely thick and padded, and then you can hold it with a pair of pliers as tight as you need to.