CoolHands

Super clodbuster- what battery size?

Ok I have on the way a super clodbuster yay! I have ordered from Modelsport a Quicrun 0880 Dual Motor Brushed ESC (80A) and a Power HD LF20 Metal Geared Servo. I have ordered a set of bearings too.

so, if I want a 3s battery, which one? What size case etc fits? As I’ve never had a clod so don’t know. I am going to get some different oil shocks too but that’s all. I intend to leave it standard including the steering which is why I have bought 1 half-decent servo. So just the battery question I am unsure about.

ta.

The Clod's battery compartiment is spacious, but I wouldn't know of any 3S batteries that fit without modifying the tray. Pretty much any 2S battery will fit though, square or round pack. 

Ok. Also does anyone know what steel pinion gears I should buy? 13t I believe. Read lots but can’t seem to know what pitch it is, it looks like 32dp is the consensus.

I ordered my steel pinions from CPE. I couldn't find any in the UK.

20190809_172126.jpg

Get a large servo saver too, sounds like you have everything else for a great build .

And just a tip unless you are modding the heck out of it a 5000mah nimh will provide alot of speed and run time with the idiot proofness that a lipo can't provide.

Just measure the height of the battery compartment holes in the chassis, it's the height/thickness that you need to worry about the most and where the wires exit the battery.

Get some alloy anti-rotational brackets too 👍

Thanks, I’ve got anti-rotation brackets ordered too! I think from someone on here (user) on eBay, - ‘Model Build’

I opened this today. I didn’t realise it came with an dual motor ESC included. So question - is there any point me running the Quicrun 0880 Dual Motor Brushed ESC (80A) I bought? I’ve opened it now though (before I realised).

also is there any better motors worth fitting? Still brushed as now I have this esc! But the kit silver can ones look a bit plain.

DF7EEB69-F9FF-4EC6-9A8E-FD0355E2EBD0.jpeg.81d136511ed677a45997766cb7535deb.jpeg

The Hobbywing ESC has built in lipo cut off.

The Tamiya ESC doesn't. It has LiFe cutoff which is too low for lipo.

I use a hardcase 2s at the moment which fits perfectly but you have to drill the battery cover for the wires.

I'll fetch the specs in a minute.

I use a Turnigy nano-tech 5.6. 5600mah 50-100C discharge

Hardcase lipo pack. 7.4volts

spacer.png

The hobbywing esc is far superior to the stock tamiya one, as @wolfdogstinkushas already said its got a low voltage cut off which is essential these days and the other advantage is that you can get a hobbywing programing card which lets you change the settings on your esc to make the car drive the way you want it to. I don't know why hobbywing didn't supply one with the 880 but the one that's supplied with the hobbywing 1080 works perfectly with it and you should be able to source one pretty easily online.

I run my Clod on 3s using a Turnigy 4000 softcase pack installed under the rear chassis brace/body mounts but I only do very light running around the garden and don't do any jumps etc with it (I spent far too long painting and decaling it to risk damage) so if you decide to go with that then it's entirely at your own risk and you really should use a hardcase. Once I manage to figure out how to get the one I've got to fit hopefully without chopping huge chunks out of the chassis I'll make the switch.