Evilive99

Easy first time small size build recommendations (good for indoor)

Hi,

I have never built an RC car but have been looking at the Tamiyas.  I Am looking for something smallish and does not have to go too fast - something that will be good indoors.  The comical hornet/grasshopper and the lunchbox both look good, however they are a lot of pieces and I think they might be even more difficult for a first build since they are smaller in size.  Does anyone have any suggestions for an easier kit (fewer pieces) that is smaller in size that might be good for a first build... also something that is available online.  Or, do you think the Comical hornet and/or the lunchbox are the best I am going to find, and will be OK if I follow along with some YouTube build videos?  Thanks

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Evilive99 said:

Hi,

I have never built an RC car but have been looking at the Tamiyas.  I Am looking for something smallish and does not have to go too fast - something that will be good indoors.  The comical hornet/grasshopper and the lunchbox both look good, however they are a lot of pieces and I think they might be even more difficult for a first build since they are smaller in size.  Does anyone have any suggestions for an easier kit (fewer pieces) that is smaller in size that might be good for a first build... also something that is available online.  Or, do you think the Comical hornet and/or the lunchbox are the best I am going to find, and will be OK if I follow along with some YouTube build videos?  Thanks

I have a Comical Hornet. They are super easy to build. The gearbox even comes pre-assembled (although it doesn't have proper bearings in it). Don't fret about getting involved. Tamiya manuals are the best, and it's all screwdrivers and pliers. Nothing too complex. Take your time and enjoy it. The hardest bit (IMO) will be cutting out and painting the body, but even that just has to be simple one colour for the Comicals because the decals are so good. 

If you want something super small for indoors though, try the SW01 mini Lunchbox.

Thanks I will check those out.  Is there any website you can suggest (sponsors?) that is trustworthy and has all of the tools, extrA batteries, servo, controller etc that I need for the mini lunchbox so I can one-stop shop?