Sign in to follow this  
osunick

Reissue Turbo Optima body and driver figure on original Turbo Optima Chassis

Bought a super clean Turbo Optima with an original body that was decaled and unpainted, with a hole cut for the mechanical speed controller. Bought the reissue body which came with masks which made the box art much easier to achieve. Well worth the money. Also went with a Keyence brushed ESC (for the original LeMans 240S!) so I could use the reissue driver figure as well. It all fits fine. The top plate doesn't have the hole for the post so I just used VHB tape to hold the driver in place.

Don't do what I did and mistake a mold line on the rear spoiler for a cut line. I had to use scrap lexan to make the rear wing square again.

IMG_20190804_151630.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, osunick said:

Bought a super clean Turbo Optima with an original body that was decaled and unpainted, with a hole cut for the mechanical speed controller. Bought the reissue body which came with masks which made the box art much easier to achieve. Well worth the money. Also went with a Keyence brushed ESC (for the original LeMans 240S!) so I could use the reissue driver figure as well. It all fits fine. The top plate doesn't have the hole for the post so I just used VHB tape to hold the driver in place.

Don't do what I did and mistake a mold line on the rear spoiler for a cut line. I had to use scrap lexan to make the rear wing square again.

IMG_20190804_151630.jpg

what tyres are they?

looks very pretty^^

Those are the original tires from the 80s release. The pins were ziggurat shaped and the idea was that you could trim them to the level you wanted for your track. 

• Like 1

That looks fantastic. I have a vintage turbo optima and a reissue body too. i just have not had time to paint it. May have time now due to recent events.

Those tires are the w5031. They came with the Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid Special. Nearly impossible to find these days.Turbo optima was fitted with the OT66 tires.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Handyman said:

Those tires are the w5031. They came with the Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid Special. Nearly impossible to find these days.Turbo optima was fitted with the OT66 tires.

Thanks for that, I thought they seemed special but thought they were the pack in tires. 

Nice Turbo Optima! I could only drool on this kit when my RC buddies had this and the Optima Mid Turbo. Mine was an old and inferior Frog (converted from a Brat). This kit (and the other Optimas) shrugged off the Hot Shot/Hot Shot 2/Super Hot Shot the competition racing level. It was one of the reasons why Tamiya had to come up with better but over engineered kits with better materials too. Like the Avante and Egress.