MinTea

Neo Fighter: What else do we need to build it?

Hi,

My son and I have ordered the Neo Fighter. What do we need (tools, colors...) to build it? 

And what do else do we need, a remote control as far as I know... Anything else?

Thank you! 
Mintea

6 minutes ago, MinTea said:

Hi,

My son and I have ordered the Neo Fighter. What do we need (tools, colors...) to build it? 

And what do else do we need, a remote control as far as I know... Anything else?

Thank you! 
Mintea

Phillips screwdriver, hobby knife, pliers, servo, receiver, actual radio, battery, and battery charger. Those are the essentials to make it run. Lastly, paint of your choosing. 

Consider rechargeable batteries for the transmitter. Carrying spare batteries for the car & transmitter is worth considering too.

• Like 1

A proper JIS screwdriver with save a lot of pain and I find a set of good side cutters work well for the sprus.

If you have not ordered bearings then I suggest fitting them as you build. 

Have fun and take pics along the way

• Like 2

Hi, thank you for being helpful. I need more details... can you send me a link to these items? I don't know which kind of servo, receiver, don't know what you mean by "actual radio", and which battery you mean... 

servo

receiver

actual radio

battery

battery charger

transmitter

Thank you all!

4 minutes ago, MinTea said:

Hi, thank you for being helpful. I need more details... can you send me a link to these items? I don't know which kind of servo, receiver, don't know what you mean by "actual radio", and which battery you mean... 

servo

receiver

actual radio

battery

battery charger

transmitter

Thank you all!

Where are you based my friend? Shop recommendations are often country specific. 

[Bearings] 

5x11x4mm bearings.  I think you need 14 bearings for DT02 chassis.  You can get 10 bearings for about $3.50.  You'd need 30 bearings for 2 buggies.   

Stuff from RC Mart arrives in about 10 days usually (from Hong Kong to Pennsylvania).  Haven't ordered since Covid19 though.  Yeah Racing bearings are very well made and a bit more expensive, but it seems to be on sale. 

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-rc-ptfe-bearing-5x11x4mm-10pcs-yb6014b-s10-00001611

[Radio]  

Assuming you are not racing, but bashing, Flysky FS-GT3C is a cheap and reliable option.  $45 - $50.  If you guys are going to run together, you'd need 2 radios.  Each radio comes with 1 receiver each.  If you get more RC cars later, just buy 1 extra receiver for about $9.  You can use existing radio to "bind" with a new receiver. (that was a brand new technology I learned 3 years ago)   Get the "C" version as in GT3C.  Older "B" version (GT3B) uses 8 batteries.  GT3C uses only 4AA batteries for the transmitter.  No difference in performance. Just that the older B model (mine) wastes more juice by using cheaper components.  

[Charger] 

SkyRC iMax  B6  is a go-to charger that charges pretty much everything.  Below has a power supply inside.  This one doesn't need a separate 12v power supply like mine does. (I'm using a power supply for a laptop)

https://smile.amazon.com/SKYRC-LiIon-Battery-Charger-Discharger/dp/B01MZ1ZZ7Z/ref=sr_1_3?crid=35MTLK0UY0F5U&keywords=skyrc+imax+b6&qid=1585379139&sprefix=sky+RC+%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-3

[Servos]  There are so many, it's difficult to recommend.  But Hobbyking 9kg servos are cheap, strong, and fast enough.  

If you are racing on-road cars, I'd recommend JX low profile digital servos. (Digital is good for holding certain angles like airplane control surfaces, but it uses more electricity)  But for bashing, analog is fine.  9kg Hobbyking metal gears is cheaply made, but it should do fine.  Back in the days, 4kg was the standard, so 9kg is pretty strong.  And did I mention it's only $9?  

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-hk15288a-analog-servo-bb-mg-9kg-0-20sec-51g.html?queryID=13846e6aef0624feb09b87e55fe3bf3d&objectID=38568&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

I liked Turnigy 10kg servo.  But it seems like hobbyking is out of them.  If you want 13kg, servo, that's still available for whopping $1 more.  13kg is a bit of an overkill but why not?  Also 0.14 second is a bit fast. (0.20 second is about the standard)  But fast is better than slow.  

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigytm-tgy-s901d-ds-mg-robot-servo-13kg-0-14sec-58g.html?queryID=7b139e6ae3457a190ed4505e36614e64&objectID=40566&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

[Batteries]  I'd suggest a pair of 7.2v NiMH batteries to start.  

They are not as powerful as 7.4v LiPo batteries.  But safer. (Lipo can ignite)  

Make sure to get ones with Tamiya connectors.  Tamiya connectors are limited to 1-2A, but they do fine for NiMH batteries.  

• Like 2

For the charger have a look at these

https://m.banggood.com/HTRC-C240-DUO-AC-150W-DC-240W-10Ax2-Dual-Channel-RC-Battery-Balance-Charger-p-1242905.html?rmmds=search

Can charge 2 batteries at once and cheaper than 2 chargers. You will end up with at least one more car (soon, and 10 more by the end of the year) so may as well start with a dual charger. I wish I had, I have 2 single chargers and one of these dual chargers on the way.

For the radio gear, Flysky is cheap and cheerful, works fine and people do use them to race. However, Futaba and Sanwa are much nicer units, and the mid range are brilliant. You're looking at USD200 or more though, but the Futaba 4PM or 4PV, or Sanwa MT44 are great. Receivers cost a lot more too. I have a mix of Sanwa, Futaba and Flysky, but tend to use the Sanwa or Futaba more, even though the receivers cost about 10x as much because the radios are just so much nicer to use. Or, just get a cheap one and never try the expensive ones so you don't know what youre missing.

If your son geta into it then no doubt you'll have his friends wanting a go, and you'll end up with a fleet of cars, so Flysky is a good option for those and keep your nice one for your cars

Otherwise, what @Juggular said.

• Like 1

Thank you guys! 
Juggular, for the bearings- doesn't the kit come with bearings? I thought it did... or are the ones you recommend just better?

Thank you Biz73, are those bearings necessary to build or are they just to make it run faster?

13 minutes ago, MinTea said:

And also, what do you all think of this: https://www.amazon.com/Fine-Electric-Drive-Model-tamiya/dp/B0077K0WM2#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div

Is this a good option vs buying all the separate parts as recommended above?
Pascal

Personally I wouldn't buy that as its all basic stuff. It will work, but you are better to choose the components. That charger is very basic when for $50ish you can get one that will charge all battery types and you can set the charge rate. The ESC is the 105BK which is limited to brushed motors and 25T I think. Either get a Hobbywing 1060 which runs down to 12T motors (crazy fast) or a TBLE-02S which can run 25T brushed or brushless down to 10.5T. 

15 minutes ago, MinTea said:

Thank you Biz73, are those bearings necessary to build or are they just to make it run faster?

Yes bearings are essential to build from the start. The bushings adversely affect performance and also can attract dirt and wear down the shafts etc so if you add them later you could need to replace a bunch of bits.

10 hours ago, MinTea said:

Bearings will add more run time per battery and won't wear down parts like bushings will. Bearings are the first thing I buy for any build and the first thing I add to any used car I buy.

10 hours ago, MinTea said:

And also, what do you all think of this: https://www.amazon.com/Fine-Electric-Drive-Model-tamiya/dp/B0077K0WM2#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div

Is this a good option vs buying all the separate parts as recommended above?
Pascal

You could get better equipment for around the same price if you buy individually. Don't be afraid to branch out and use other brands. Flysky makes some cheap transmitters that work well.  Your car kit probably already includes the TBLE-02S esc which will run brushed or brushless motors. Try the motor that comes with the kit and decide if you want more power.

Bearings are a lot easier to fit at the first build and cost almost nothing. Pulling most of a kit apart to fit bearings is a pain.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MinTea said:

Hi Guys! We started building yesterday, finally. But we realized that the charger (

HTRC C240 DUO AC 150W DC 240W 10Ax2 Dual Channel RC Battery Balance Charger

) doesn't work with the batteries (TURNIGY STICK PACK SUB-C 4200MAH 7.2V NIMH HIGH POWER SERIES). The plugs are different. Is there an adapter that we can buy?

Pascal

Turnigy normally come with XT60 plugs. I am guessing the charger has deans.

Something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352977077454 might be what you are after?

Does the battery fit the ESC?

7 hours ago, MinTea said:

Hi Guys! We started building yesterday, finally. But we realized that the charger (

HTRC C240 DUO AC 150W DC 240W 10Ax2 Dual Channel RC Battery Balance Charger

) doesn't work with the batteries (TURNIGY STICK PACK SUB-C 4200MAH 7.2V NIMH HIGH POWER SERIES). The plugs are different. Is there an adapter that we can buy?

Pascal

I just got one of those chargers too and it came with banana plugs to deans, and a deans to xt60 converter. I assume you got the same.

I'm guessing your battery has a Tamiya plug on it? 

Personally I use XT60, so I would cut the Tamiya plugs off both the battery and ESC and solder on an XT60. I'm guessing you don't want to do this...I made Tamiya to XT60 adapters by cutting off the plugs off the battery and ESC a bit longer and making adapters, but then you could just solder up the plugs and you wouldn't need them...I see the issue...

To charge the battery you either need a deans to Tamiya adapter, or 4mm bullet/banana to Tamiya plug 

Car is working, everything is great - except:

It won't go backwards. What did we do wrong?

What esc did u put in? what transmitter? what reciever?Wont go backwards is a figure it out hting

Which speed controller are you using?

Many have the ability to turn their reverse function on and off. You may want to check the instructions to see if reverse is deactivated.

On 3/28/2020 at 6:47 AM, Nobbi1977 said:

A proper JIS screwdriver with save a lot of pain and I find a set of good side cutters work well for the sprus.

If you have not ordered bearings then I suggest fitting them as you build. 

Have fun and take pics along the way

Just out of interest why do they call them sprue's in the RC hobby world? Seen it a lot but it's not the correct name for what you are trimming.