Bromley

Restoring Hornet wheels....help.

I'm just starting an original Hornet restoration,  my first proper restoration.

The wheels have yellowed. Any good tips for getting these white again?

I was weary of using bleach, as I don't know what effect that might have on the aging plastics.

I did search the forums...but, Hornet and wheels, are ridiculously common terms to search for.

What strength peroxide are you suggesting?

6% and 12% seem most common. 

Yep just 6% is fine, if it’s stronger it takes less time, that’s all

• Like 2

Probably a silly question but why try and make the vintage wheels look like new when new replacements are available?  Surely the vintage element is the fact that they have yellowed.

43 minutes ago, Toolmaker72 said:

Probably a silly question but why try and make the vintage wheels look like new when new replacements are available?  Surely the vintage element is the fact that they have yellowed.

That’s a good question. For most of us, getting ReRe wheels would be just fine. But some folks want to keep their rigs truly “vintage”...

Terry

While away doing some more on my restoring, I have come round to the idea of new wheels.

Should hopefully have them in a day or two.

Thanks for all the replies. 

I was just being cheap to be honest 😂.

But it would be nice to keep as much of the original buggy.

I want to make it as near to original as possible. But, yellowed manky wheels aren't my bag. 

I'm now waiting on parts. I'll put a little thread together once finished...but we all kinda know what a stock Hornet looks like.

27 minutes ago, Bromley said:

I was just being cheap to be honest 😂.

But it would be nice to keep as much of the original buggy.

I want to make it as near to original as possible. But, yellowed manky wheels aren't my bag. 

I'm now waiting on parts. I'll put a little thread together once finished...but we all kinda know what a stock Hornet looks like.

Personally I would use the opportunity to paint the yellowed manky wheels 😉.  

2 hours ago, Toolmaker72 said:

i have a set of wheels on my re-re wheeler and the the side of display the 2 wheels have yellow'd and they are only around 3 years old so they dont have to be vintage to yellow

On 3/28/2020 at 8:28 PM, mtbkym01 said:

Glass jar of peroxide in sunshine should do the trick

46856118651_d6a747fec2_k.jpg

There’s a tutorial on the main page too

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=98012&id=22525

Ive used this method on an old Traxxas Bullet and an Original Edinger RC10 with great results. Post up how you go

I guess just UV daylight is ok , or does it it need sun on it ? . Is it used straight out of the bottle , or do you dilute it ?

Peroxide and Sun Light are the winning combination. One will work over time but they work best together. There is a hair product called Salon 40 (main Ingredient is peroxide) that we will goop on to Bmx parts like mag wheels to whiten and let sit in the sun. Should work great for RC parts too. Or just leave you rims yellow. Like mine 

pJTPmMg.jpg

note the power of salon 40 And sunlight on white mag that is done vs the other that is not. These mags both looked the same to start with 

2zcRG4Q.png

Sweet , thanks Joe . I want to whiten some vintage and rare wheels , the sun is a bit shy here at the mo. so I'll go for a sunny day when it arrives . I'm going for a 6% H/peroxide ;)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

I guess just UV daylight is ok , or does it it need sun on it ? . Is it used straight out of the bottle , or do you dilute it ?

The more powerful the UV the better i’m Lead to believe. So yeah direct sunlight for the win

• Thanks 1

I think I too will give it a try with a few of my old Willy wheels!  Thanks. 

Dumb question , but I guess you use the 6% HP straight out of the bottle ? - don't dilute it .

I've tried the peroxide treatment on some wheels . I'm pleased with the results . I started with 6% , then went up to 12%

The pic shows a pair before treatment and after treatment below them  .

I have 2 sets of these so the other yellowed ones in the pic will be treated too

wheels peroxided .JPG

• Like 1

That looks good. I had similar results with peroxyde which I was very pleased about. But after storing the car for 6 months in a box, I pulled it out and noticed the yellow has come back.

Has someone had lasting results using peroxyde?