GTodd

Thunder Shot to Terra Scorcher Build

Good Afternoon all!!!

Changed the title, time to chronicle the build, to be continued for the RC10 build. 

RIGHT before Tamiya anounced that they were going to rere the Terra Scorcher I purchased an origianl Thunder Shot in order to convert it to a Thunder Shot.  To go along with the build I ordered a TBG repro TS shell, NOS Parts Trees that are exclusive to the the Thunder Dragon and Terra Scorcher for too much money ( easy come easy go), the black wheels,  and a full set of ball bearings. 

Darn it I didnt take any pre tear down pictures,  here is the body, not too bad, Illl re-use at some point.  

g2nJMi1.jpg

• Like 1

Good afternoon! Terra scorcher. Looking forward to this! Have you got 4 rear egress wheels on or are they standard fronts and rears?

The first that is called out in the instructions is to assemble the differentials.   I wanted to make them fluid filled but there was no way to seal them. I then remembered that there are enthusiasts who use differential putty in their crawler differentials.  What good for them is good for me!!!!! NO more free wheeling!!!

GmbFVDy.jpg

• Like 1

The Thundershot and "lesser" models of the range utilize plastic washers, the TS used thrust wshers, Luckily I have a surplus from numerous Top Force, Avante, etc builds builds over the years.  Due to the surplus of thrustwashers I was able to assemble the gearbox to the TS dirrections, wooohooooo, pretty!!!!! 

P3Wa3Kp.jpg

• Like 1

Woot woot, first gear box done!!!!!!  Its got a ratty 540 in there, Ive ordered my new favorite motor the RZ SUPERSTOCK to go in there. 

Tnp4f4f.jpg

• Like 2

Next comes the GORGEOUS blue Suspension arms!!!! I love these things, a little to gummy, but perfect for a back yard basher.

z5Scwq9.jpg

• Like 3

Back to the build!!!! 

Front gear box complete!!! Super Clod Buster Blue parts tree to to the rescue again!!!! NOw that the TS rere is coming out I wont have to be doing that aymore!!!!

BuEPhcv.jpg

I had these DF03 shocks left over from a previous build that got hicaps instead,  super underated shocks, very smooth.  Needed a car to get them, this was the one!

And I thnik the blue of the shocks compliments the blue of the chassis nicely. 

fpDARME.jpg

• Like 3

Loving these shocks on this chassis. Wish I never sold mine. They're just so pretty, I didn't want to scuff them up :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, mman2005 said:

Loving these shocks on this chassis. Wish I never sold mine. They're just so pretty, I didn't want to scuff them up :rolleyes:

Agreed!!!!

Rear Shocks installed!

jnUTZ92.jpg

• Like 2

Hey @GTodd so you must have replaced the front 'shock mount' part from the Thundershot to the bigger one for the Terra Scorcher.  Do you still happen to have the original one?  I've been looking for just this part in decent shape to fix a broken one on my Thundershot.  If it's intact and in decent condition I'd buy or trade for it, if you'd be game.

11 hours ago, beefmuffin said:

Hey @GTodd so you must have replaced the front 'shock mount' part from the Thundershot to the bigger one for the Terra Scorcher.  Do you still happen to have the original one?  I've been looking for just this part in decent shape to fix a broken one on my Thundershot.  If it's intact and in decent condition I'd buy or trade for it, if you'd be game.

Sorry brother going to keep it, with the TS rere anounced this might become a Thunder Shot again some day. However man how'd I forget to highlight that part difference in the build??!!! I rushed this a little bit, I'll loop around and illustrate some differences between the two cars and solutions I made for some of the unobtainable Terra Scorcher bits, which won't actually be a thing any time now!

Front and BAck joined together!!!!! 

PFLL2wO.jpg

Such a fun build. 

To recap, started out as a Thunder Shot and converted to a Terra Scorcher. I started this before CHristmas before Tamiya anounced the rere.  New gear box internals, all ball bearings, and built to Terra Scorcher specs thrust washers etc. Original 1987 Tub as its mint. 

Here it is, the "EVO" Scorcher.  Once Tamiya anounced the 'Scorcher rere I decided to do something different with it.  I love the PS Tamiy Gunmetal on my Top Force Evo and had two cans left over.  

RIVwPc2.jpg

JP3yTab.jpg

• Like 1

...add MCI decals....

AND also I had purchased Tamiya Hybrid Spikes to go with the TS wheels, I thought the wheels were 1.9" they arent so now I had  a extra set of Hybird spikes, into the parts bin again  I have a few sets of Egress wheel, I took two sets of the rears and mounted them on the my now labeled EVO Scorcher.

A-N-D Tamiya kind of started on the EVO Road with th Terra Scorcher with its driveline mods, ball bearings, and sway bars. Add the Hybrid spikes, Egress Wheels, DF03 Shocks,  Gun Metal PS, and Custom Decals and you have a Evo Scorcher!

bwxdE0G.jpg

AvJVRfU.jpg

• Like 6

On 4/12/2020 at 6:52 PM, mman2005 said:

I agree, prefer this to the yellow I think....

1 hour ago, GTodd said:

...add MCI decals....

AND also I had purchased Tamiya Hybrid Spikes to go with the TS wheels, I thought the wheels were 1.9" they arent so now I had  a extra set of Hybird spikes, into the parts bin again  I have a few sets of Egress wheel, I took two sets of the rears and mounted them on the my now labeled EVO Scorcher.

A-N-D Tamiya kind of started on the EVO Road with th Terra Scorcher with its driveline mods, ball bearings, and sway bars. Add the Hybrid spikes, Egress Wheels, DF03 Shocks,  Gun Metal PS, and Custom Decals and you have a Evo Scorcher!

bwxdE0G.jpg

AvJVRfU.jpg

Some great choices made throughout this build. Looks great! 

Was going to run the original MSC but I didn't want to tackle the job of cutting a hole for the resistor in the body. 

Running a hobby wing esc with a Trinity 13quad modified from back in the day. Waiting for the spares from the Rere to hit Tamiya USA or eBay to order the driver and bumper. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mman2005 said:

Some great choices made throughout this build. Looks great! 

Thanks man, it was a fun build. I've now scratched the Tamiya 4wd Tub itch.

These things really are great fun in the back yard, need to order up another reedy or Hobbywing Brushless for it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTodd said:

These things really are great fun in the back yard, need to order up another reedy or Hobbywing Brushless for it. 

Well worth it my opinion. The great thing about the Thundershot drivetrain is that unlike most vintage stuff it's not ridiculously undergeared. I run a hobbywing 10bl120 esc with a speed passion 13.5 brushless in my Thunder Dragon using the tamiya DT03 17t hopup steel pinion. Gearing is 6.7. It really goes! 

On 5/25/2020 at 12:58 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Well worth it my opinion. The great thing about the Thundershot drivetrain is that unlike most vintage stuff it's not ridiculously undergeared. I run a hobbywing 10bl120 esc with a speed passion 13.5 brushless in my Thunder Dragon using the tamiya DT03 17t hopup steel pinion. Gearing is 6.7. It really goes! 

I couldn't agree more. This is a really great chassis. I might toss in some 2.2" wheels/tires and try out the track, I'm not expecting anything as good as my Egress or EVO but I want to see what it can do.

Really need for Tamiya to start selling the spares. I need a new front bumper, some A5 spares, and a rear sway kit.

i think i like what's in the back ground better;)

now they're way more faster................................

oh and your Scorcher is Blazen'

i like the blue arms & rod ends

20 hours ago, ACCEL said:

i think i like what's in the back ground better;)

now they're way more faster................................

oh and your Scorcher is Blazen'

i like the blue arms & rod ends

Hahaha yes sir they are!!

• Haha 1