Jonnythefox87

Recommended shock oil for LB

Hi all

ive bought some cheap oil filled shocks for my Lunchie from Aliexpress , I say oil filled..... the reviews say you may not get much oil in them when they arrive but the shocks themselves are very good!

so I’m wondering what weight oil I should get? Obviously I know how to install the shocks etc but I’ve not got any experience experimenting with shock oils so I wouldn’t know where to start with the weight. Is it worth getting 2 or 3 different weights to see which one works best? And if so which weights? The shock lengths are 75mm and 80mm if that helps 

thanks in advance 

14 hours ago, Jonnythefox87 said:

Hi all

ive bought some cheap oil filled shocks for my Lunchie from Aliexpress , I say oil filled..... the reviews say you may not get much oil in them when they arrive but the shocks themselves are very good!

so I’m wondering what weight oil I should get? Obviously I know how to install the shocks etc but I’ve not got any experience experimenting with shock oils so I wouldn’t know where to start with the weight. Is it worth getting 2 or 3 different weights to see which one works best? And if so which weights? The shock lengths are 75mm and 80mm if that helps 

thanks in advance 

If the shocks are of unknown origin its hard to advise with any certainty. My best suggestion would be use same oil all round and if you have some tamiya kit oil or 400cst oil (simar to tamiya kit weight) then try that. Report back how the handling is and we can advise from there. You need a baseline to start from. 

On 3/29/2020 at 10:26 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

If the shocks are of unknown origin its hard to advise with any certainty. My best suggestion would be use same oil all round and if you have some tamiya kit oil or 400cst oil (simar to tamiya kit weight) then try that. Report back how the handling is and we can advise from there. You need a baseline to start from. 

Thanks for responding 

ive ordered some 500cst oil off of eBay, I’ll see how I get on with that all round then make changes if needs be, like you suggested

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jonnythefox87 said:

Thanks for responding 

ive ordered some 500cst oil off of eBay, I’ll see how I get on with that all round then make changes if needs be, like you suggested

A bit late now, but look at a pack like this (just an example).  It has a whole range and is much cheaper than buying 6 bottles individually

https://www.rchobbies.co.nz/team-losi-tlr74020-certified-silicone-shock-oil-6-pack-2oz-20-25-30-35-40-45wt/

Also its worth picking a brand and sticking with it.  CST is an actual measure but most manufacturers tend to use WT which is just their own measurement.  If you stick to one brand it doesn't matter as you know that 25WT is thinner than 30WT but its a challenge to work between brands.  Just take a look at a comparison chart and you'll see what I mean.